Reading Around in Groff Conklin's Anthologies

JD, I've always taken it that HPL was alluding to Macbeth, assuming (as, in this case, I would) that he was consciously alluding to anything. I'm not enough of a Miltonist (but I'm working on it!) to say for sure about a "blasted heath" in the latter poet.

Book I, ll. 612-15:

[...] as when Heavens Fire
Hath scath'd the Forrest Oaks, or Mountain Pines,
With singed top their stately growth though bare
Stands on the blasted Heath.

Apropos of your comments on description, Donald Burleson has also mentioned Milton's "Il Penseroso" as a possible influence on the opening of the tale, particularly ll. 132-41:

[...] me, Goddess, bring
To archèd walks of twilight groves,
And shadows brown that Sylvan loves
Of pine or monumental oak,
Where the rude ax with heavèd stroke
Was never heard the nymphs to daunt,
Or fright them from their hallowed haunt.
There in close covert by some brook,
Where no profaner eye may look,
Hide me from day's garish eye[....]

Certainly, Lovecraft was well-read in Milton (cf. his mention, as early as "Dagon", of "Satan’s hideous climb through the unfashioned realms of darkness" from Paradise Lost), being quite taken with the power of his work.

Thanks, JD. I know Comus, the Nativity Ode, "L'Allegro" and "Il Penseroso," and a few other poems a bit, but having read Paradise Lost only once, I am looking forward to a second reading 'round about this summer. Milton is an essential author for anyone interested in the Sublime in British literature. He stands with Shakespeare close to the beginning of a "Pre-Romanticism" genealogy of British authors of the Sublime that includes Thomson and others. And then you have Romantics like Coleridge -- !

I've read Thomson's Seasons, and his Castle of Indolence is something I should get to before long. Lovecraft must have known Coleridge's incomplete Christabel, which has a plot like something out of Weird Tales.
samuel-taylor-coleridge-poems-selected-by-james-fenton.jpg

Oh, yes, he knew it, and mentioned it in SHiL. By the way -- rather off-topic, but speaking of this sort of poetry, were you aware that Hippocampus Press will be issuing a volume of weird poetry?

http://www.hippocampuspress.com/myt...atural?zenid=e400903c903eebea079dd70182af925c

As it is edited by Joshi, there are a fair number of pieces in there which had an influence on HPL, but also not a few others as well....

Oh, and I hope to get to the storage facility within the next couple of weeks, so perhaps I can (eventually) get to where I actually can contribute to this discussion, after all... I hope!

TheOmnibusOfScienceFiction_zpseb890814.jpg

Not as good as the one in post 32 (looks really old, maybe a 1st edition?) but at least it has cover art (by Eddie Jones).

dask: That's the edition I have. I got it over thirty years ago, at one of my first jobs in Austin, working at a department store back when such things still had reasonable book departments. They also had another of similar dimensions by Conklin, which I picked up as well... I recall getting the both of them for well under $10....

And I did make it to the storage facility, and picked up a couple of Conklin anthologies I've not read before: 17 X Infinity, and Invaders of Earth:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018VB4O6/?tag=brite-21

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RRQUZ0/?tag=brite-21

Don't know precisely when I'll get around to them, but I hope to do one or t'other soon...

I also brought back Three Times Infinity, ed. by Leo Margulies, who I am more familiar with through his anthologies taken from Weird Tales and Unknown/Unknown Worlds....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTSHAE/?tag=brite-21

Each of these is the edition I've got. They simply don't do covers like that anymore, more's the pity.....

Again, I had meant to put more in here, but have instead been posting elsewhere on the forum. Nevertheless, over the last week I have got several more stories from that anthology under my belt, such as:

"An Eel by the Tail", by Allan Lang -- a rather nicely done invasion menace tale with some rather unusual aspects. Not first rate, but very enjoyable.

"Storm Warning", by Donald Wollheim -- while I think Don could be a fine editor, I've seldom been impressed with his own fiction. Sadly, this is no exception.

"Tiny and the Monster", by Theodore Sturgeon -- typical Sturgeon... which means told with wit, humor, a warm human sympathy, and a very cockeyed perspective on things. Again, not the very best Sturgeon, but pretty darned good nonetheless.

"The Discord Makers", by Mack Reynolds -- while not Mack's best either, this one is very tightly told, and the very circumstantiality of the account(s) works well in its favor. A very nice choice.

"Pen Pal", by Milton Lesser -- A minor piece, all told. Intelligently humorous, and a light follow-up to the former. Enjoyable, but not particularly memorable.

And today... the original radio script for "Invasion from Mars", by Howard Koch... in other words, the script for the famed Orson Welles' Merdcury Theatre on the Air broadcast which took place Oct. 30, 1938, and which caused a panic in several states of this nation. Darned if the thing doesn't work as well being read as heard. At times Koch reveals the sensibilities of a poet as well as an acute observer, and his tight structure and the various techniques he uses here remain truly impressive....

Conklin might not have often included pieces of great literary art, but his anthologies definitely tend to be entertaining....

Finished off the anthology last night... and enjoyed it immensely. Following the Koch radio script was the first sf piece ever published by Mildred Clingerman, "Minister Without Portfolio", which had a very different sort of approach to the first contact idea... handled with a good deal of humor and satirical intent, yet never genuinely belittling her character. Nifty piece of writing, and it is very interesting to see how she began.

Then came Edward Grendon's "Crisis" which, though depending on the twist in the tail for its full effect, managed to avoid being an O. Henry sort of experience, and at times is reminiscent of some of Cliff Simak's work. Again, not the very top, but quite a good little piece.

A bit later came William Tenn's "'Will You Walk a Little Faster?'" -- one which has all the standard things one expects from him, including that bitingly sardonic humor which, at bottom, has a very serious -- and rather nasty -- point. Put this one in the same class as his "Bernie the Faust" as far as his view of humanity is concerned, and with much the same light-hearted tone... which makes the nastiness all the nastier in the end. A fine story, all told.

The next-to-last tale was "Pictures Don't Lie", by Katherine MacLean -- again, depending on a twist in the ending, yet it works very well. One has a sinking feeling as you approach the final pages, a faint intimation of what the problem really is, but that doesn't prevent the bitter irony of the situation from working one little bit. Not a classic, but rather good, in its way.

The last piece was by Anthony Boucher, and was originally intended for a paper by the Baker Street Irregulars, and brings together Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare, and alien archaeologists who come here long after we are gone. A wry piece of fake scholarship, it is full of joke, puns, and more sf cliches than you can shake a stick at... all in the space of four pages.

But the real gem of this collection has to be Edgar Pangborn's "Angel's Egg", which came after "Crisis". I said that Conklin didn't necessarily often include a genuine piece of true literary art, but if this one doesn't fit that description, it doesn't miss by much. It has been at least three decades since I last read this tale, and it still carries as much punch as it ever did. I would put it right up there with his classic novel, A Mirror for Observers -- which I recommend to anyone wishing to see the true classics of the genre, and how sf can transcend genre to become Literature. A funny, wistful, sad, outrageous, charming, and deeply moving piece, "Angel's Egg" can take its place between a rather small number of sf tales which completely ignore the sf/f boundaries, yet manage to be as truly sf as anything out there, and which still pluck at one's heartstrings with a very certain hand.* And again, this was Pangborn's first published sf story.

While not on the level of, say, the SF Hall of Fame anthologies, or Boucher's Treasury of Great Science Fiction, this is certainly one of the better anthologies I've read in quite a long time. Pity that it has been out of print for so long; it really deserves to be remembered.

*The others would include, but not be limited to, Lester del Rey's "Day is Done", Isaac Asimov's "Eyes Do More Than See" and "The Ugly Little Boy", Daniel Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon", and some of the best of Harlan Ellison.

The Boucher is "The Greatest Tertian", and isn't a story so much as a fake scholarly paper. The Conklin anthology is Invaders of Earth.

Thanks. You know I did try to find out myself using the links up in #67, but the table of contents for 17 X Infinity displayed the toc for a book called Indian Legends And Other Poems:confused:, while none was offered for Invaders Of Earth. Stinky linkys!:mad:

My first Conklin story for March is from Invaders of Earth, Pangborn's "Angel's Egg," on which JDW commented recently. I'm not going to assign a "score" to it. It doesn't deal with "organized religion," but I suppose represents one poetic author's effort to transmute familiar religious wishes into a science fictional/fantastic mode: the wish that mankind would "become more spiritual," more peaceful, attuned to beauty and the wonders of the universe, more kind and more free; the wish that one could undergo death and a sort of Last Judgment that are not terrifying but rather a serene laying-down of one's life and a playback of one's memories detached from fear. I think Pangborn is dealing sympathetically and imaginatively with the kind of religious wishes that many people hold, whether or not these are securely founded in the Bible or the symbols (confessions of faith) or many churches. However, nothing that happens in the story would require a reader to entertain supernaturalism of any sort.

Sorry about that, dask. I had originally included those links simply because of the reproduction of the cover art; I didn't even check to see about the TOC....

What Dale has said here is spot on, I think, and this is an important element in Pangborn's writing... at least, in this and A Mirror for Observers, which is a science-fictional take on the Book of Job (much as The Stars My Destination has been considered a sf take on The Count of Monte Cristo). Quite original, but full of familiar resonances.... (And, incidentally, I would most definitely include A Mirror for Observers as a "must-read" for anyone interested in classic sf or sf as a literary genre.)

My second Conklin story for March, and my 16th in this series, is Poul Anderson's "My Object All Sublime," in 12 Great Classics of Science Fiction, originally in Galaxy for June 1961, where it did not get a cover spot.
9781415561065.jpg

The title is from Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado, which I wouldn't have known without checking:

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —

Yes, the theme is retributive justice; but we don't know what the criminal's crime was. That may be related to the idea presented in the story that, just as (it is proposed) people in the past could not conceive of how we think or live, so we wouldn't be able to understand how people in the far future think; hence it would be pointless to say what his crime was. If that's the idea, I would doubt it; I don't think it is very hard to "get" why some action undertaken by people long ago or in a remote culture today is commendable or reprehensible; we might not see why (imaginary example) a society would think that burning a strip of paper with an enemy's name on it should be regarded as doing him harm, but we understand that doing harm is, ordinarily, an offense. I liked more in the story the idea, typically absent from time travel stories, that the technological knowledge of a person from the future would likely do him or her no good; e.g. knowing that sulfur is a component of gunpowder would not be sufficient of itself to let you introduce firearms to ancient Egyptians.

3/5

Hoping to hear from other readers of Conklin anthologies -- !

A bit off topic - but that looks like it would be a cracker of a Galaxy issue, Extollager. I see it has "A Gentle Dying" by Pohl and Kornbluth. This was one of a number of P&K stories published in 1961 after Kornbluth's death. Pohl finished off quite a few stories they had not completed or sent in, and had them published. This one was excellent - I read it last month as it happens. None of which was about Groff Conklin, sorry! I see that not only didn't Poul Anderson get the cover, he didn't even get a mention!

THBSSTRSD31951.jpg

That's not a Groff Conklin book, but, like Possible Worlds of Science Fiction from Conklin, it's a 1951 hardcover that reprinted Katherine Maclean's "Contagion," my first Conklin story for April (and 17th in this series), rating 4/5. Later, it was reprinted here:
51X34VCHJDL.jpg

Explorers find that a human colony is already established on what they'd supposed was virgin territory. They encounter a hunter from the colony, a superbly healthy man, who alludes, however, to "the melting sickness"...

I don't feel all too comfortable posting here, as I know virtualy nothing about Conklin, but I have recently acquired, after many years of first wanting to get a hold of it, his collection In the Grip of Terror. So far have only read one story and moved on to other books recently acquired, that story being the very reason I wanted to get this book in the first place, the scarcely-if-at-all reprinted The Cross of Karl by Walter Owen.

It is slightly reminescent of Leonid Andreyev's The Red Laugh, although with a less insane ending.