GAME: Hook my first line and sink her in to a paragraph!

Wayne Mack

"Have you seen what happens when a marshmallow is accelerated to relativistic speeds?"

"What in the name of Oreo have you done, Professor?" Cynthia cried.

"I simply applied the principal of relativity to confections, my dear."

Cynthia say the empty plastic bag on the ground and dropped the chocolate bar and graham crackers from her hands.

"The last marshmallow! Tell me you didn't."

"Yes. It will be no S'More."

-----

Tyrene ran as the dome overhead started to crack.

Provincial

Coyote meets roadrunner
Tyrene ran as the dome overhead started to crack. Sand poured in through the widening gaps and the ground heaved repeatedly underneath his feet. Would this earthquake never end? He had to get out! Where was the exit? Where was the damn door?

It was possibly the stupidest advert he had ever seen.

J Riff

The Ants are my friends..
It was possibly the stupidest advert he had ever seen. "Learn to Write Science Fiction like the pros, in three weeks, or your money back!'
But, on a bizarre impulse, he bought it. He fell for it. He had no hope, no belief... but, to his utter amazement , it worked. He knocked off his first readable novel in the allotted time, and was fantastically elated. He danced around in his hovel, revelling in the glory that was soon to be his. It was at that moment that, glancing up, he saw another advert on the screen. It read 'Learn how to sell your Science Fiction novel in Thirty Years or less, or your money back!'

The door creaked open ever so slowly, as Delbert prepared for the ultimate horror.

Capricorn42

The door creaked open ever so slowly, as Delbert prepared for the ultimate horror.

He swallowed, hard. Alright, he told himself, I have everything I need. I know I do, because I checked my bag before I left the house.

"Delbert..."

Don't listen. Rule number one, remember? Never listen to them, they always lie. That's why I brought the holy water, so I can tell if... uh, wait a minute.
His stomach lurched.
It's still on the kitchen table, he thought, with icy dread.

"Delbert... it's me, Sandra. Remember? From College? You loved me, Delbert, and I loved you. but you left before I could tell you. Well, here I am. Come to me, Delbert. Let me love you."

The door was open now, and a dark, fathomless space yawned at him.

I don't need the holy water, he hurriedly decided. All I need is the wooden stake and the mallet. Yes, that's all I need. Uh, wait a minute.

"I'm lonely, Delbert. Shall I come for you?"

Oh sh*t, they're still in the cupboard under the stairs. What the hell was I thinking? I didn't check my bag at all, I was too busy feeding the cat.

"Hello Delbert."

The last thought to go through the hapless Delbert's mind was that he should never have bought that box set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and also, perhaps, that no matter how weird his neighbours were, he should mind his own damned business.

He'd show them, he gleefully told himself. His machine would work and the world would be amazed!

Provincial

Coyote meets roadrunner
He'd show them, he gleefully told himself. His machine would work and the world would be amazed! The trick would be to launch himself from the very tallest building he could climb, to give the anti-grav enough time to kick in. Luckily, here in New York City there was no shortage of tall buildings. Unfortunately, very few of them had doorways wide enough to allow the Mega Anti Grav articulated lorry in through them. Or, for that matter, lifts which could take it to the top floor. Still, if he bunged the doorman a twenty, he was sure it could be arranged!

Blind optimism had got him to the top of his profession in the space of a few short weeks.