5.12: Merlin - The Diamond of the Day - Part I

ctg

weaver of the unseen
High in the mountains, a great horde gathers; Morgana prepares for war with a vengeful Mordred at her side. Merlin feels the weight of his destiny like never before as the ancient prophecies play out with terrifying accuracy. But before he can save his beloved Camelot, he must save himself. For it is not just the kingdom Morgana wishes to destroy – it is also Emrys.

30tm8zr.jpg

Oh, lordy, I enjoyed that. First time this series... But patly cos I love John Lynch, and to see a N.I. actor playing dad to our very our Colin seemed very fitting. But mainly cos I love John Lynch. :eek:

Nice Perciwaine action for le Mouselet, cheers from the kids as Emrys emerged and a demand to make sure we are home from our many parties on xmas eve in time. A hit! Lets hope part two lives up to it. Oh, and kudos, Perp man, it was the crystal cave. :)

Hmm, it was OK. Battle scene way too close to 300 for my liking. Homage or rip-off?

And did I miss something, or did Merlin have to do absolutely anything to get his powers back (and upgraded) apart from just show up at the cave? Couldn't they at least make him solve a block puzzle?

Thanks Springs, I knew that A level in Arthurian wotnot would come in useful one day.

Straight up the was the feeling that the episode just flew by, always a good sign. My feeling was that Merlin had to achieve his potential, had to learn who he was and what his potential was, the only way to do that was to go to the cave. That Morgana was the driving force to get him to that cave is a great irony.

Just like the fact that Camlann is going to have to happen, Merlin had to go to the cave and fate made sure it did, just one way or another.

A few niggles - Gwaine only the knew the girl a few hours and yet he spilled everything to her? Naughty knight!

The slow motion battle sequences - were they really needed?

And the ongoing biggy, it really looks as if they are going to close the legend in the traditional manner, unless there is going to be a second battle of Camlann, in which case it just does not seem as though Arthur's four year reign is fittingly glorious enough to warrant the term legendary, it still seems as though he is finding his feet as far as the series goes/ Part of the glory of Arthur's reign is the long period of peace and prosperity he brings to a fractured land.

That being said the episode stormed along, was fun and played to all of it's strengths, some fine interaction, Arthur's comment on Merlin's cowardliness was perfect, lashing out because he has been hurt by his most trusted friend.

The tangly haired one just deserves to b e defeated and to know she has been defeated.

An excellent first part, that really sets up the finale.

And we don't even have to wait a week...

Oooooooh i cant wait until Monday to see the next episode.... why cant it be now? :(

Would of liked some more Merlin and Morgana bits but over all i liked this episode ^_^

For once I haven't anything to add really. I agree with you all, though I obviously didn't think the episode flew along quite that fast - I thought there was a lot of filling (slow motion fight scenes, silly girls, tatty hair shots) but only because the real episode will be the next one and they couldn't tie anything off until then.

I thought Arthur was pretty cutting in his comment about Merlin being a coward.

Gwaine is an idiot, that's all I can say really. Flaming idiot. Why would he tell the girl everything? Besides, we all know he's with Percival. ;)

Apart from that, and some random geography and super speedy travelling again, pretty good.

I didn't like that he's 'old Emrys' at the end, BUT the preview, where it was just Merlin's voice and no picture, makes me think that maybe he does reveal himself, as he is now, as having magic? I hope so.

geography issues again...with the caves and Morgana somehow getting their first...the slow mo fight scene - straight out of Spartacus almost hit for hit, and that was homages to 300...honestly they should just arrest everyone with a hood!

One annoying niggle - why did Arthur have no helmet? and why is Mordred the only one with decent armor? ah well, I did enjoy the whole tragic Merlin -> Emrys, and laughed at the idea of a giant slug eating his powers...

I did enjoy it though, and I am looking forward to the next episode in a couple of days time...

BUT the preview, where it was just Merlin's voice and no picture, makes me think that maybe he does reveal himself, as he is now, as having magic? I hope so.

Yeah but i'm worried he's telling Arthur as he is about to die :(

I hope not i'd like to see Arthur's reaction as if he was alive rather than as he is about to die.

Yeah that was pretty funny ^_^

But unrealistic. Magic or not, if you do that then people will quickly get suspicious. Real gamblers know the odds. If you beat the odds too often you are either very lucky or else you are cheating. There are such things as loaded dice. Merlin would not be able to do that on a regular basis.