Pacific Rim (2013)

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I thought i'd start a thread about Guilermo Del Tor's new Pacific Rim due out next year. It looks like it could be fun.

Here's a link to the trailer.

I'm a bit tired of alien invasion films unless they have some twist, but I'm sure the next world war will be fought in those "soldier boy" suits.

From the title alone it sounded like a new disaster film about volcanoes. I've even more tired of those. How long before a Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) film?

I'm a bit tired of alien invasion films unless they have some twist, but I'm sure the next world war will be fought in those "soldier boy" suits.

From the title alone it sounded like a new disaster film about volcanoes. I've even more tired of those. How long before a Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) film?

Maybe you should know who made this film first. Hardly Transformer type director hack. Guillermo Del Toro is known for films like Pan's Labrynth, Hellboy, Blade 2. I doubt he will make a boring alien film.

Plus its Idriss Alba in his first lead role in blockbuster type film. Fav actor and visually stunning,creative director.

As much as I rate Del Toro highly as a director, he's not immune to making tripe.

Exhibit A: Mimic....simply not a good movie.

I agree alien invasion movies are getting tiresome due their quantity in recent years but I'll reserve judgement on Pacific Rim until I've seen it for myself.

I too am I big fan of Del toro, but I'm worried that this might turn out to be a bit too much, probably full of action, great looking, but not nearly as powerful as his really good stuff (I'm thinking of Devil's backbone and Pan's Labyrinth)

Bahahaha. Live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion with voice work from GLaDOS. Well played, del Toro, well played! :p

In seriousness, it looks fun. It may not be particularly cerebral, but it's got to be better than Michael Bay's Transformers, which is the sort of film it's going to be compared to. That and Cloverfield, which it already has my vote over (eugh, shaky-cam).

As much as I rate Del Toro highly as a director, he's not immune to making tripe.

Exhibit A: Mimic....simply not a good movie.

I agree alien invasion movies are getting tiresome due their quantity in recent years but I'll reserve judgement on Pacific Rim until I've seen it for myself.

This is my point because no one is safe from making a bad film now and then but i trust Del Toro older works that was awesome action films or creative horror,fantasy. I will look forward to this because i hope to see a good action film fun one.

I'm looking forward it. As long as the story isn't carried by set piece over mindless set piece, like Transformers, it'll be a fun ride

I do like Pans Labyrinth. If this is 'just another alien invasion film' in the same way that that was 'just another second world war film', then you have a valid point. Unfortunately, I just watched the trailer like everyone else.

I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim when I was at the theater. As is the way of trailers, it was hard to discern the plot; it was just action, action, action.

Any parents out there know Big Guy and Rusty?

Looked good until the action figur-- sorry, the mega-sized Power Rangers. However, I will also reserve judgement, based on the del Toro factor.

Just watched this film on disc, and I was pleasantly surprised.

When I saw the first trailers, I thought that the whole monsters vs. giant robots thing was pretty hokey. All comparisons to classic Japanese monster films, Transformers and Power Rangers aside, I found Pacific Rim to remarkably entertaining -- somewhat reminiscent of the first RoboCop and original Starship Troopers, without the graphic violence found in both of those Paul Verhoeven offerings.

While Pacific Rim special effects (which are stunning) definitely take center stage, the movie incorporates a lot of redeeming elements, including likable characters, humor, self-sacrifice and even a touch of romance. Of course, the willing suspension of disbelief required to enjoy most scifi experiences must be fully engaged.

Have the descendants of Earth dinosaurs been lying in wait until man-made climate changes rendered the planet ripe for inter-dimensional invasion? Should we expect these bad boys to be equipped with running lights and EMP capability? Are giant, two-man, rock-em-sock-em robots defending coastal cities really a better choice than tactical nukes deployed at the source?

Does anyone really care?

Just watched this; thought it was a lot of fun. But then, I grew up in 80's Brazil when there wasn't a lot on TV but endless episodes of Ultra Man, Ultra Seven, Spectreman etc. So kind of took me back to my childhood! :D

Excellent Del Toro rehash of Independence Day.

Both films being favourites of mine, but the 'cancelling the apocalypse' speech falls to the 'we will not go quietly' one from ID4.

The entire ridiculous plot happens in the 1st five minutes, then a couple of fast forwards here and there and its a decent giant robot slugfest.

Surprisingly, I liked it. One of my major dislikes of the film though, is the desire for the pilots to box with the aliens. Serious, these giant robots have got plasma cannons, missiles, and a whole array of weaponry to pick from, they've even got melee weapons for when the stuff hits the fan, so why do they feel content to close in and trade blows with an alien the size of a building?

That, and I'd like to know what radion device they're using that can transmit from Hong Kong to an inter-dimensional rift.

But, saying that, if you switch off your brain, it's a good film.

Just watched this film on disc, and I was pleasantly surprised.

When I saw the first trailers, I thought that the whole monsters vs. giant robots thing was pretty hokey. All comparisons to classic Japanese monster films, Transformers and Power Rangers aside, I found Pacific Rim to remarkably entertaining -- somewhat reminiscent of the first RoboCop and original Starship Troopers, without the graphic violence found in both of those Paul Verhoeven offerings.

Interesting point. I definitely felt like I was was watching a Verhoeven movie too (even down to the music soundtrack which I also felt would not have been out of place in a Verhoeven film).

As for the entertainment factor - first half didn't really grab me. Couldn't care less about the characters (especially the steroetypical kooky scientist double act - absolutely awful)

Second half slugfest was enjoyable. Five out of ten in my book.

These days it takes me a wee while to get 'round to watching new SF movies, Pacific Rim is no exception. Finally watched it last night, and admit to being a teensy disappointed. I suppose I shouldn't have expected much, but yes this really is no better, but no worse either, than the Transformer movies. I admit that I didn't mind the Transformer films (there, I've confessed), though on popcorn-fodder terms only. I wouldn't call myself a fan :)

What I find interesting though is how many SF fans slag off Transformers but think Pacific Rim is masterful, purely because it's got Guirmero Del Toro's name on it. That's like saying Waitrose's mince pies are better than Aldi's because of the brand attached (when it's recognised that actually Aldi's trumps their more up-market competitor every time). I apologise to US readers by the way who won't get that last aside!

As for the film, well I watched it back to back with the Roman-war movie, The Eagle, and found that a much better flick than Del Toro's. It says it all when the most interesting thing about a film is a robot and a Godzilla-like creature slugging it out; the rest of Pacific Rim's plot was really quite lame. But then modern SF movie-makers increasingly dump interesting for spectacle these days; do SF film-makers really know what a plot is?