Data

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Does anyone else find him an annoying character? In the first two or three series he was ok, but later on many episodes seemed to be so Data-centric that they were kind of spoiled for me. The films even more so.

I think he was an interesting character, but the quest for him to understand emotion and become more human just seemed to drag on for far too long.

On a similar note, I think that the lack of new constant characters being introduced didn't help the series. Ok , you may argue that TOS kept the same crew, but that was only over 3 series. Seven seasons was far too long not to bring in someone new to help reinvigorate it.

zmunkz

I read this post 4 years ago, and have spent the intervening years considering my answer. I'm finally ready to weigh in: not really, I liked his character enough that I didn't mind several episodes fixed on him.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I liked the character (it was based upon the character in a Roddenberry pilot that never got the green light) however, there were elements that were cheesy. Getting and laughing at a joke after seven years was one that comes to mind. It has been so long since I watched the series I'm sad to say I'm starting to forget the stories now.

As for introducing new characters, I expect that would have happened if the series had not done as well. It is strange but TNG DS9 & VOY all seemed to take off after the third series. TOS and ENT were never allowed to get that far. TNG introduced new enemies - The Borg - to achieve that. DS9 & VOY had changes of cast instead. DS9 also had the Founders.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I enjoyed the characters of Spock and Data - but every Trek series after had to have a non-human character to which the virtues of being human could be preached to. It became super-repetitive. Roddenberry came up with that in the 1960's - surely someone could come up with a different character focus, instead of echoing it?

zmunkz

I agree. I was also less interested in his quest-to-become-human in general. The episodes I liked far more were Data's Day (where the episode is told from his POV and we see all the things he doesn't understand going on around him), Measure of a Man (where they debate with Starfleet whether Data is a lifeform or property), Time's Arrow, and the episodes with Lore / Borg. None of these focused on his desire to be human, instead they just used him as a character with his own interesting properties and abilities and conflicts.