Sandman or Preacher.........

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
If you had never read either but had the choice which would you read first and why?

Answers on a postcard please........

Yeh crooksy I would have liked to say both but having to make a choice I regard the more seminal of the two as Gaiman's Sandman.

For me anyway, it has more going on and is the more interesting (engaging) of the two storylines. I'm a HUGE Gaiman fan so my objectiveness may be a little compromised as I also regard Gaiman as the better writer/storyteller.

The point really is that those are two of the best series you could read so going for either you wouldn't be too hard done by.....:rolleyes:

ASIDE: I don't know how many other graphic novels/comic series you have or are planning to read but make sure you also make a date with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (original series penned by Moore NOT so much the later ones) AND Lucifer by Mike Carey (an offshoot inspired by the original Sandman series) as it's one of the best series written! PLUS Frank Miller's Sin City. I would start with those series if I were introducing someone to the wonders of the graphic novel (and original comic) in a contemporary sense versus 'a history of the graphic novel and comic'.

Thanks Gollum, I was leaning towards Sandman simply because it's taken me longer to collect and has been waiting longest, and good to hear your thoughts on it.

I read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (volume one) and wasn't really enamoured which surprised me as I thought I was really going to enjoy it. Will check out Lucifer and Sin City, thanks for the recommendations :)

Finished The Dark Knight Returns last night - wow! Brilliant! Loved the ending too, couldn't have been better

If you stick with Swamp thing it gets better but then again Alan Moore is not everyone's cup of tea...however his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is another one I've collected and enjoyed.

After Sandman go for Sin City or Preacher maybe? depending upon how much you like Sandman Lucifer would be the other logical progression.

I must admit I find it harder to review or recommend a comic or graphic novel than a novel, short story or collection...you might dislike Sandman dunno?

Give it a go, the one thing is there are a lot of people here who will have read that particular series and there's also a heap of extra information you can obtain regarding the series if you really get immersed into the whole thing.

Cheers.

P.S. I also have a few of the better known Batman graphic novels definitely my favorite 'superhero' e.g. Dark Night Returns, Year One, Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum and Killing Joke. I can recommend all of those. In fact here's a link highlighting ten of the best Batman comics...I don't know how much you are into Batman but this might help...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-best-batman-graphic-novels/

EDIT: HMM..just spotted that Batman post below this one. Looks like most of those have been mentioned there. Looks like a good link....think I'll go and investigate.

Night.

Really enjoyed Watchmen and Neonomicon, so nothing against Alan Moore, it's just I found Swamp Thing a bit slow, almost dreary and miserable. Have been tempted to take a look at League of Extraordinary Gentleman, believe it's much better than the film they made of it.

Was considering both Sandman and Preacher last night, as just finished Dark Knight Returns (amazing), and in the end plumped for Daredevil, The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller, read the first part and really enjoying it. Much deeper than the film, and there's two interesting characters been introduced called "Stick" and "Stone" who if I remember correctly had no part in the film? Elektra's been mentioned but no appearance just yet.

Reason I plumped for Daredevil over Sandman was down to the actual size of the book. I have the absolute editions of Sandman and they're HUGE. I usually read when I go to bed at night and it's going to be a struggle to read these absolute editions in bed so going to have to come up with another solution to this. May have to wait until I have some time off work then I can potentially read them during the day (although with the subject matter I'd say reading Sandman at night would be a better experience?). Might just have to shift the pillows out of the way and go for it once Daredevil's out of the way.

EDIT: Just read through the link you posted and Batman Year One looks immense!

Weel...I can't say I was much of a fan of the Daredevil or Elecktra films at the time. Possibly one of the worst 'superhero' movies I've seen to be truthful...sorry if you're a fan of those.

You can now get the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in a single Hardback graphic novel edition. I got them in their original issues but it's probably more cost effective and simpler for you to purchase the set. Again the film was pretty bad but Moore's work on it is good.

Wow! Lucky you, having the Absolute Sandman. That must have cost a pretty packet. That's the mutli volume edition in mega size in slipcase featuring fantastic colorization of the artwork plus heaps of extra goodies not seen before. I've only got the original set of 10 graphic novels which incidentally has also seen another print run with new covers etc. (technically they were actually originally single issue comics that are keenly sought after from what I can gather). HMM.,.must I say I'm feeling sightly envious of you right now.... Sandman is definitely something best read at night. Enjoy.

Batman Year One IS good.

Bye for now....:)

I'd tell you to read both if you had the time.

Since you don't, read Sandman.

Probably a little late to the party here, but I would choose both!

But I'd also say that if you are only going to choose on one it depends on just what it is you are after. If you want to read something that is highly lauded and probably about as close to high literature as comics can come, with a strong well developed mythology, strong characters and references to classics, then it is going to have to be Sandman.

If on the other hand you want something epic, full of over the top fun, with near obscene moments, bordering on bad taste and highly quotable then it is going to have to be Preacher.

Sandman it is. Started this weekend, have a feeling it's going to take me quite some time to get through the whole thing.......

Have to say the quality of the Absolute Edition is absolutely phenomenal. The quality of the printing, the paper, the whole presentation is one of the most impressive published books I've ever had the pleasure to open.
The only ones who may just beat it in terms of quality of print and production are a small collection Conan books I have published by Wandering Star.

Have to say the quality of the Absolute Edition is absolutely phenomenal. The quality of the printing, the paper, the whole presentation is one of the most impressive published books I've ever had the pleasure to open.
The only ones who may just beat it in terms of quality of print and production are a small collection Conan books I have published by Wandering Star.

Don't say that, then everyone will want them.

But mostly, I'm concerned with me wanting them.

Sandman every time, even though Preacher is one of the most straight-up enjoyable comic series that you'll ever read, it's just not as 'great' as Sandman (A Doll's House aside-the one misstep in the series.) You've made the right choice.