Peter Hamilton alike books

Nostra

From all my Sci-Fi books I've read Peter Hamilton is by far the best I've read. I've read both The Commonwealth Saga and Night's Dawn Trilogy.

I'm looking for somethings like those books. Sc-Fi in overdrive: space colonization, aliens, war, high tech weapons, cloning, etc. all is permitted!

Any recommendations? Btw if you like Sci-Fi but haven't read Hamilton, shame on you! Run to your bookstoe and go buy it...

I'm afraid I can't help after just picking up and devouring Pandora's Star, but I will follow this thread with interest!

Others may differ but I'd rate Iain M Banks' Culture novels as similar in scope and levels of technology. Okay, maybe the tech is even more advanced than Hamilton's, so advance that it's like magic at times, but still ... give it a go.

Thanks for the Iain M Banks tip! I'll be sure to pick it up. Any other suggestions?

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series might also be what you're after.

Try Neal Asher, not quite the tombstone sizes which Hamilton produces but a similar tech level and action.

I just read the Void and the Commonwealth books and loved them. I'd suggest the Culture books by Iain Banks, Expanse books by James Corey, and Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep and The Deepness in the Sky are both excellent books, I particularly liked the alien races in them. The sequel to Fire, The Children of the Sky wasn't as good, but was still worth reading.

James S.A. Corey's Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War did remind me of Hamilton's work, particularly The Night's Dawn trilogy's combination of SF and horror elements.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga is a bit different to Hamilton's work, it's more focused on characterisation and it's not quite on such an epic scale (although there are still plenty of space battles in the series) but it does feature most of the elements you mention.

Let's see: Banks, Reynolds, Asher, Vinge. Yep. I think you guys have got it covered! And after wading through Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, I'm afraid I would go with the above named alternative authors first before attempting any more Hamilton. ;)

Let's see: Banks, Reynolds, Asher, Vinge. Yep. I think you guys have got it covered!

Missed Baxter - especially the Xeelee stuff. Also, while I haven't read enough to be sure in general, some of Allen Steele would qualify.

Also, going back a little, there's Greg Bear, Charles Sheffield, and stray bits like Bruce Sterling's Shaper/Mechanist stories and novel - and so on.

And after wading through Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, I'm afraid I would go with the above named alternative authors first before attempting any more Hamilton. ;)

My reaction exactly. I've only read A Second Chance at Eden which is quite good and contains several mercifully short pieces and Fallen Dragon which was also quite good, all things considered, but made me decide I didn't need to read any more SF novels of that length (even though it's a mere singleton of a mere 818 pages.

Also, going back a little, there's Greg Bear, Charles Sheffield, and stray bits like Bruce Sterling's Shaper/Mechanist stories and novel - and so on.

Forgot Charles Sheffield. Lots of good stuff, esp. the Heritage Universe series (Summertide, etc.).

Oh my goodness, so much to read, so little time...

I've started in Gridlinked from Neal Asher, I like it so far :) Thanks for all the tips! Seems like I've got my list for 2013 covered.....

Thanks to the suggestions here, I just picked up Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep . I read Gridlocked, but found it more to be like a 007 book than a space opera. I still liked it, though.