End of the line...

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
Just read on the bbc website ( can't do a link, it is on an app) that this will be the last series, for definite. So Arthur better find out about the magic, and percy and gawain will have to ride off into the sunset together, just for Mouse. :)

What?!?! I thought there would be more! :( Percy and Gwaine better end up happily ever after together, or I'll sulk.

Well, it was time to end it. Someone saw where it was going and wasn't happy about the results. So, no sixth season as I've been saying for little while. But it'll remain the best Arthurian series since the invention of the television.

The programme has been running for five years and pulls in almost seven million viewers in its Saturday evening slot. The creators say the show, which features a young King Arthur and his wizard servant, will come to a "natural and dramatic end" with a two-part finale. "I think the show has run its natural course," Colin Morgan, who plays Merlin, admitted.
_63299497_merlin.jpg

Bradley James says that he would like the fantasy series to go out on a high. "We've arrived at its strongest point and we've achieved what we set out to do." Newsbeat recently spoke to Bradley James who plays King Arthur about Merlin's future. "It's always wise to go out on a high and I think we are at a stage where you take it series by series and think do we want to another one or do we want to do something else?"

'Spectacular finale'

The creators of Merlin say this series is where the storylines have reached their peak. "We always felt the story of the legend was best told across five series, leading to a spectacular finale that draws on the best-known elements of this much-loved story and brings to a conclusion the battle for Camelot."

Richard Wilson plays Merlin's mentor in the show and admits while he is extremely sad the show is ending thinks it is good news for his character."Speaking as Gaius I feel I have mentored the young wizard as far as I can. He is much smarter and greater than me now and I am simply exhausted."

Over the years the programme has had a number of guest stars including Michelle Ryan, Emilia Fox and Mackenzie Crook. The controller of BBC One says they have ambitious plans for new drama in Merlin's Saturday night slot for 2013.

The next episode of Merlin is on BBC One at 8pm on Saturday 1 December.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/20489859

I really hope Merlin's magic gets revealed in the end. It has to, right?

Well it's sad to hear, but it is probably the right time.

The last interview I read with the creators stated that this was where they had to get to, but they could go on if they were given another season or too, so with that in mind perhaps this is the best place to end it. Better to go out on a high than drag something down.

I agree that Merlin's magic needs to be revealed, but I hope they give the feeling of time passing. I always liked the idea of having this moment of calm and civilisation amid brutal war and the dark ages, but it should last a bit longer than a three year reign. So I hope they jump a few years rather then end it in the now if you follow me.

Also would like to see a reference to the Holy Grail quest.

I don't think it had to end if they had taken a different route. It will go out on a high note, but why not Christmas specials and the like? As mentioned elsewhere there are several Arthurian legends that they chose not to use and could still yet. As for Mouse, I doubt that Camelot is ready for that yet.

Also would like to see a reference to the Holy Grail quest.

A reference maybe, but I think they've been wise to avoid it as a storyline. A religious relic only makes sense if there's a religion, which in Camelot there isn't. Also it's one of the more pointless bits of the Arthurian story, except for the inspiration it gave to the Monty Python team. Lancelot-x-Guenivere was the real heart of the story, and they've done nothing with that either.

And they've done nothing with Queen Mab :( and I would have enjoyed more dragon quest/killing, but their CG budget seems a little low...

A reference maybe, but I think they've been wise to avoid it as a storyline. A religious relic only makes sense if there's a religion, which in Camelot there isn't. Also it's one of the more pointless bits of the Arthurian story, except for the inspiration it gave to the Monty Python team. Lancelot-x-Guenivere was the real heart of the story, and they've done nothing with that either.

I'm not so sure. In the context of this show I do agree, but the Holy Grail is a vital part of Arthurian legend, and a key part of the process. Borrowed heavily from the Fisher King, it still is a metaphorical representation of hat goes wrong with Arthur's reign.

When his best friend, and so called perfect knight, betrays him with his Queen, Arthur breaks, and it is the quest for the Grail that not only restores Arthur, but the Kingdom, and the image of the perfect knight, in the form of Galahad.

Of course they've changed enough of the legend for this version anyway, but a mention would be fun.

Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon in Merlin We loved watching Anthony Head’s cruel and magic-hating King of Camelot as much as he enjoyed playing him. Here’s how he reacted to the news that this series of Merlin will be its last…

“Hats off to Julian and Johnny, the producers, for sticking to their guns with the five season story arc of Merlin. It would have been too easy to give in to demand and stretch the show on beyond their original plan because of its incredible success. Instead, Merlin finishes at the height of its success and will, therefore, live on in people’s memory.

“That’s certainly what happened with Buffy – and it really doesn’t happen that often. As for myself, I really miss working with such a talented and warm-hearted bunch of people – cast, crew, production. Everyone in London, Wales and France made the Merlin experience a very, very special one. Thank you all.” http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/anthony-head-on-merlin-finale/

Merlin has been enthralling audiences on Saturday nights over last five years, consistently attracting an average audience of over 6 million viewers, with ratings for the current series peaking at 7.1 million.

Merlin has been a firm favourite with BBC One viewers since its first outing in 2008. Celebrated for its magical storytelling, cinematic visual effects and most of all the wonderful cast which includes Colin Morganas Merlin, Bradley James as Arthur Pendragon, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Guinevere, Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon, Richard Wilson as Gaius, and John Hurtas the voice of the Great Dragon.

Co-Creators and Executive producers, Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy confirm the current series will be the last:

“This is the series where the storylines truly reach their apex. We always felt the story of the legend was best told across five series, leading to a spectacular finale that draws on the best known elements of this much-loved story and brings to a conclusion the battle for Camelot. We’d like to thank the amazing cast and crew for their professionalism and dedication, the BBC, FME and all of our partners globally for their incredible support and encouragement across the last five series. But chiefly, our thanks go to Merlin’s remarkable and loyal audience around the world for their enthusiasm for the characters and Camelot universe.”

Danny Cohen, Controller, BBC One said, “Merlin’s mix of magic, adventure and humour quickly became a hit with BBC One audiences and has continued to thrill families over the last five years on Saturday nights. I admire the creators’ decision to end Merlin on a high, but also know that we will miss it in the BBC One schedule. On behalf of BBC One I would like to thank Shine and all those involved in the making of the show both on and off screen. I hope fans will tune in over the coming weeks to see the spectacularly dramatic final episodes, and we have ambitious plans for new drama in the Saturday evening slot in 2013”

Colin Morgan (Merlin) said, “From the beginning this was always going to be a five year journey that we embarked on and I think the show has run its natural course. The show has grown and grown each year and now we’ve arrived at its strongest point and we’ve achieved what we set out to do… I know this is the end, and I know this is goodbye, but thank you for being there on the journey with us because it has been a lot of fun!”.

Bradley James (King Arthur) said, “The Merlin years have provided me with fond memories, great experiences and beloved friends and all the while we were supported by a devoted fan base who made the show a unique, surreal and special experience. My words won’t do justice to the honour of being King Arthur so I shall just say that it has been an exceptional one and that knowing the show has been a part of so many people’s lives, has been humbling.”

Katie McGrath (Morgana) said, “I have always said the success of the show has stemmed from our audience being able to relate to the characters on different levels – being based on the universally loved Arthurian legend is only a tiny part of its success – it’s a story about acceptance and growing up. The breathtaking finale of this series leaves you with no doubt that characters have been on their journeys and had their stories told – it’s completely the right time to draw our telling of the story to a close.

Angel Coulby (Guinevere) said, “It has been a very special and memorable five years making Merlin. I feel extremely proud to have been part of such a brilliant show and such a great team. I think we’ve told the story we set out to tell, which ends with the fantastic two part finale by the way! I believe the key to any successful show is making sure you leave people wanting more!

Richard Wilson (Gaius) said, “Firstly I would like to say that I’m extremely sad that Merlin has come to an end. Speaking as Gaius, I feel I have mentored the young wizard as far as I can – he is much smarter and greater than me now and I am simply exhausted!”

Other memorable cast include Mordred (Alexander Vlahos) and the brave Knights of the Round Table Sir Leon (Rupert Young), Sir Percival (Tom Hopper), Sir Gwaine (Eoin Macken) and the late Sir Elyan (Adetomiwa Edun).

Merlin has attracted an astounding array of guest stars including Michelle Ryan, Santiago Cabrera, Emilia Fox, Asa Butterfield, Mackenzie Crook, Adrian Lester, Warwick Davis, Miriam Margoyles, Eddie Marsan, Will Mellor, James Cosmo, Lindsay Duncan, Janet Montgomery, James Fox, Tom Ellis, Nathanial Parker, Michael Cronin, Charles Dance, Gemma Jones, Sarah Parish, Miranda Raison, Ben Daniels and John Lynch.

Across five series writers Julian Jones, Jake Michie, Lucy Watkins, Howard Overman, Ben Vanstone and Richard McBrien have taken the characters on a spectacular journey.

Series five opened to a Camelot at the height of its ‘golden age’, but a menacing omen overshadows Arthur’s future and unknown threats emerge from within the castle walls. Now everything Merlin has tried to protect is in danger. Albion’s dark trial has begun and the final battle has been joined, but who will survive? http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/final-series-of-merlin-announced/

Kirsten appeals to Merlin's creators, arguing that the BBC fantasy show deserves a film or television revival...

Normally, I’m not a TV kind of person. I prefer books, and the longer the better! True storytelling is what I love, and in a time where narrative culture is more and more determined by the length of a Twitter message, the spinning of a grand old-fashioned tale has become a rare thing on television. Such a rare exception was the BBC series Merlin – until it was announced late in 2012 that the show wouldn’t be continued after the end of series five. When I read that in an interview, my first thought was that it seemed quite a daunting task, if not even an impossible one, to tie up all the loose threads that were glaringly left hanging about in the few episodes that were left, let alone to provide the series with an ending that would remain faithful to its trademark genial tone, and live up to all the expectations that had been raised over the years by constantly reminding us that it was Merlin’s destiny to build Camelot’s Golden Age with Arthur and return the magic to the land.
Read More: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/merlin/24468/why-merlin-should-return-to-the-screen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Astro Pen Technology 1
P Book Discussion 7
T Writing Discussion 11
Harpo Marvel Universe 3
Toby Frost Publishing 62