Sudden disconnect after change of characters' names

Yog-Sothoth

I have a story about a group of characters that follows their lives from child to adulthood. I recently changed the names of the characters in their adult years and there was an immediate disconnect evendo the new names were much better than the old.

I decided to keep the old names as I progress the story and when finished, I simply change them to the new ones. This way I maintain continuity in personalities because they for some reason acquired strange characteristics with the name change that creeped up on me subconciously before I realised what was happening.

Ever had such an experience and how did you deal with it?

I did try to change the name of my main male character in my SF but it just wouldn't work -- even a similar sounding name just wasn't him. On the other hand, I'm changing one minor character's name in my fantasy every time I write her, because I can't find the right one, and it's not making any difference at all.

A word of caution -- don't just use find and replace without checking each sentence. "Fred dodged the bullets" may be fine; "Roger dodged the bullets" needs looking at again.

Names are just names, although you, as the author, obviously closely associate those names with your characters in your mind. But remember: no reader will have this problem, because they'll only ever see the names in the published book.

I have changed the names of characters (one character's twice**), but after reminding myself that the important thing is what the characters are and do, found the transition easy enough. And if you think the new names are better, perhaps you'd benefit from changing now, rather than leaving it until late in the process. For example, Cut and Paste is not necessarily your friend, here - depending, of course, on how unusual the words you've used for the names are - so the sooner you see the new names as natural, the better. You don't want to blunder into adding any continuity errors, do you?

"Roger dodged the bullets" needs looking at again
In case a later, undodged bullet, lodges in Roger?

** - This character is probably the most important in the series. Although he's not the main character in WiP1, he carries an important plot thread in that book, and he's the centre of events in WiP2.

We've had this topic before, methinks. I remember Neil Gaiman saying he didn't want to call Shadow, in American Gods, Shadow, but that he couldn't write him with any other name.

I tried to rename my main female MC Gwen, from Jenn, but it wasn't happening so I changed back.

Can I ask you folks why you want (wanted) to change the names?

I'm not sure I'd want to change my characters' names on a whim; when I changed (some of) them, it was because they stood out from the rest, drawing attention to themselves. (Given that there is a certain degree of significance in the names that I use, some of them were complete no-nos in my WiPs, and so I had to make changes.)

I wanted to change Sheridan so it didn't look like I was copying B5. (I wasn't. Not consciously, anyway.)

I'm changing the wretched maid's name because nothing fits. I need something that sounds gentle but not obviously so, and it's used in conjunction with another name a lot so it has to fit with that, and every time I choose a name (Behind the Name is a really good site, by the way) it clashes or sounds too much like a name I've used elsewhere. Enough confusion abounds without my adding to it.

I had to change one cos i had a plot line about names ending in lyn, and one of my betas pointed out the antagonist was averlyn, and she had no part in the plot line and using i confused her with the protagonists. I wasn't wedded to it though, but itwas a forehead slapping moment.

I just wanted to change it because Jenn doesn't really have a meaning. I figured Gwen sounded similar so would be easy to change to (and it means 'blessed' which I liked) but didn't work. No real exciting reason from me!

I wanted to change Sheridan so it didn't look like I was copying B5. (I wasn't. Not consciously, anyway.)
I can see why the change wouldn't have worked: the new character's name would have been Sheridan... er... before, which is simply not right. :rolleyes:;):)

I haven't changed any main character's names. Although I have changed some secondary characters.

One instance was because the MC's sister's name was too dissimilar. The MC had a fantasy type name, but the sister had an English one.

I changed Lars to Lena, which involved changing more than a name. Then I changed Lena to Tilde, because I already had a Lei in the story. Lei used to be Laura, but I changed that because I wanted someone Chinese.

And I echo TJ's warning about using Find/Replace blindly. After changing Lena to Lei, I ended up with a number of desaLenation plants.

Names are just names, although you, as the author, obviously closely associate those names with your characters in your mind. But remember: no reader will have this problem, because they'll only ever see the names in the published book.

Me being pedantic again, but... "it ain't necessarily so". While the reader won't be aware of any other name, names do make a difference, and should fit the character in one way or another; otherwise they can jar a reader out of the text. Also, any number of writers have very carefully chosen names to reflect aspects of the character's milieu, depending on what sort of period/setting (the latter if it is entirely a created fantasy world) in which the story takes place. Hence, dealing with a character from New England, say, from the early years of the twentieth century or before, would choose names which were common family names of the region, as these would subtly convey the feeling of the character belonging to the place, as well as a feeling of historical connection to it. And even with the much more mixed population of today, names say a great deal about the characters and their backgrounds. This is even more true in the case of nicknames. (To use an example from On Borrowed Time... one would scarcely expect to find a nickname such as "Pud" in a well-to-do family of the nineteenth century, let alone a genuinely wealthy one. It simply would not fit their social image. But among the lower strata, especially those with a fair dash of "country" in their makeup, such a name would not be uncommon at all.)

As for the OP's question: I am of the mind that quite frequently our choices of names for characters has more to it than simply random choice; and is in fact suggested to us by some unconscious connection to our conception of that character. There may be very valid reasons for changing a character's name at some point in the narrative, or even in the work overall; but myself, I would undertake such with caution, and not without some cause.

Some I can and some I can't. It depends if they have the right name or not.

Prince Jonathan became Prince Angus and with that was a huge personality transplant and some plastic surgery.

For some reason a minor character - King Lorenzo won't let me change his.

A palace facilities manager called Paul Jackson (yes he really was that dull), announced he was having an affair with the Crown Prince Socrates. My first character to come out of the closet. I needed to a) resurrect the Crown Prince who was dead and revamp Paul. He became head of the secret service. Initially I changed his name to Matt Smith but the new Doctor was announced about a week later. My Matt Smith has two hearts and can sort of regenerate. So I changed him to Nathaniel or Nate.

Socrates was a place holder name but Soc won't let me call him anything else.

Jack when I discovered he was an earth elemental needed a Greekish name. But I couldn't call him anything else. In the end I called him Hyacinthus but he goes by Jack at school ;)

With my detectives I had originally named them Joseph Cream and Timothy Black after four serial killers because that is what they were going to be, serial killers. (I set out to write a thriller about them) Then they literally came out of the closet in the police station of a made up provincial market town as cosy mystery detectives. Joe and Tim would be very different with other names.

Anya, it sounds like you're having too much fun with this writing lark :p

I had a sudden reconnect when I changed one of my character's names. He had a stupid name like Jim or something, and when I gave him a better one, I could suddenly write the character much better. Odd, isn't it? Names really do matter somehow.

I have a story about a group of characters that follows their lives from child to adulthood. I recently changed the names of the characters in their adult years and there was an immediate disconnect evendo the new names were much better than the old.

I decided to keep the old names as I progress the story and when finished, I simply change them to the new ones. This way I maintain continuity in personalities because they for some reason acquired strange characteristics with the name change that creeped up on me subconciously before I realised what was happening.

Ever had such an experience and how did you deal with it?

In a way I had the opposite experience. I got through the second draft of my WIP and decided I hated one of the core characters' names. After a bit of fretting about it a name just locked into place and instantly I could make sense of the character. Now she's possibly my favourite POV to write.

For what it's worth, if you find yourself changing names, you're in good company. JRR Tolkien was renowned for changing the names of his characters. "Aragorn" was originally the name of Gandalf's horse of all things, and the heroic Ranger/Lost King had the less-auspicious role of a half-hobbit adventurer with the distinctly un-regal name "Trotter".

Me being pedantic again, but... "it ain't necessarily so". While the reader won't be aware of any other name, names do make a difference, and should fit the character in one way or another; otherwise they can jar a reader out of the text. Also, any number of writers have very carefully chosen names to reflect aspects of the character's milieu, depending on what sort of period/setting (the latter if it is entirely a created fantasy world) in which the story takes place. Hence, dealing with a character from New England, say, from the early years of the twentieth century or before, would choose names which were common family names of the region, as these would subtly convey the feeling of the character belonging to the place, as well as a feeling of historical connection to it. And even with the much more mixed population of today, names say a great deal about the characters and their backgrounds. This is even more true in the case of nicknames. (To use an example from On Borrowed Time... one would scarcely expect to find a nickname such as "Pud" in a well-to-do family of the nineteenth century, let alone a genuinely wealthy one. It simply would not fit their social image. But among the lower strata, especially those with a fair dash of "country" in their makeup, such a name would not be uncommon at all.)
I do take your point about names that tell of a character's origins (or is a name chosen by the character to hide their origins): this is clearly part of the world-building and should enhance the reader's experience. This does, though, rarely limit the author's choice of name to one or two (unless they're using a real person from the past).

However, while I'm against names that jar (I'm against anything that jars inadvertently), I'm not that keen, as a reader, on names that seem to be used principally as a wink from the author suggesting that the character's nature is this or that. So while I would require a pretty powerful reason for a Second Century Roman to be called Montezuma (a reason beyond having him at the centre of a revenge-based plot strand ;)), or Ford Prefect, any plausible Roman name would do for me,provided it met your test of being generally appropriate to the character's origins.

The worst aspect of the "my name is my nature" characters -- the Prince Darkenevil, the Count Ralley-Goode, and the Everyman character, Euan Mee-Booth -- is not that this is more than a bit lazy; it's that it can often either be:
  • counterproductive, because we all know how wayward our characters can be, not doing or thinking what we want them to be;
  • or debilitating: where's the scope for personal growth, for redemption, for falling prey to poor judgement, for tragedy overcoming good intentions?
When the author notices this, they may be forced to rethink the name when the character's nature turns out to be different from originally envisaged.

(Even if, as an author, one wanted to signpost the character's nature in their name, surely this should be applied after that nature has become fully apparent, (which might be a problem where only the first book of a series has so far been written.)

That reminds me. I had a minor character called Richter. I changed this, as it was too close, in my mind, with the name of a major character, Ritter. I had chosen the name, Richter, at random (well random in the sense that the individual name didn't matter, only that it had to meet certain generic requirements), but quite by chance it almost matched his profession: he's a lawyer, and the son of a lawyer; Richter means Judge in German. I really don't know whether I would have changed the name, on discovering its meaning, if there hadn't been a Ritter in the books.

I have ended up changing most of my characters' names, largely because my world building got more mature, and as origin culture changes, so too do the names of those that come from them. I find that this actually settles the character though, in that they make a stronger connection with their back story.