"From Beyond"

I tried a rereading, after decades, of Conan the Conqueror (the Lancer books edition of Hour of the Dragon) some months ago, and found that it just didn't hold my interest; for me, the time for a long story of that type seems to have passed.

There's no reason to spend time imagining a meeting of Howard and Tolkien, really, but I'll play the game for a sec and suggest that, if they did meet, they should start a conversation by comparing notes on The Worm Ouroboros. I imagine they both liked that. Or they could start with Rider Haggard's She -- I know Tolkien liked that, and I assume Howard did too. They would have a little common ground there. But my guess is that Howard would have felt intellectually intimidated by the Englishman and that he might have handled his feelings by withdrawing into sullen melancholy, or by blustering, while Tolkien might have wondered whether he had here, in Howard, a specimen of an authentic American frontiersman and might have wondered if Howard had a bowie knife hidden somewhere about his person!

I tried a rereading, after decades, of Conan the Conqueror (the Lancer books edition of Hour of the Dragon) some months ago, and found that it just didn't hold my interest; for me, the time for a long story of that type seems to have passed.

There's no reason to spend time imagining a meeting of Howard and Tolkien, really, but I'll play the game for a sec and suggest that, if they did meet, they should start a conversation by comparing notes on The Worm Ouroboros. I imagine they both liked that. Or they could start with Rider Haggard's She -- I know Tolkien liked that, and I assume Howard did too. They would have a little common ground there. But my guess is that Howard would have felt intellectually intimidated by the Englishman and that he might have handled his feelings by withdrawing into sullen melancholy, or by blustering, while Tolkien might have wondered whether he had here, in Howard, a specimen of an authentic American frontiersman and might have wondered if Howard had a bowie knife hidden somewhere about his person!

The magic of first time is absent , that's why. It's never as good as you once remembered it . That's happened to me with books, stories, movies and tv series. You've changed and you see the flaw and shortcoming that that you didn't see the firs time around.

Howard had a wicked inferiority complex that he never outgrew it and no sense of self worth . Conan ,Kull and all the heroes were the kind of persons he wanted to be but couldn't be. He also moody ,temperamental and melancholy. All the factor contained to his demise. I agree, I think he would be intimated by Tolkien and Tolkien would not really know what to make of Howard.

These are two men I would have loved to have met. What would they think of someone like me ? Not much.

Last edited:
The magic of first time is absent , that's why. It's never as good as you once remembered it . That's happened to me with books, stories, movies and tv series. You've changed and you see the flaw and shortcoming that that you didn't see the firs time around.

Howard had a wicked inferiority complex that he never outgrew it and no sense of self worth . Conan ,Kull and all the heroes were the kind of persons he wanted to be but couldn't be. He also moody ,temperamental and melancholy. All the factor contained to his demise. I agree, I think he would be intimated by Tolkien and Tolkien would not really know what to make of Howard.

These are two men I would have loved to have met. What would they think of someone like me ? Not much.
"The magic of first time is absent, that's why. It's never as good as you once remembered it ."

That's different from my experience. Dozens of stories and books I've reread were as good or even better after the first reading. In general, in a really good literary work there is much more to enjoy than the pleasure of finding out what happens, important as that might be.

How interesting! I have a paperback edition of Citadel with the "Lovecraft" endorsement on the back:

266%2BFrancis%2BStevens%2BThe%2BCitadel%2Bof%2BFear%2BPaperback%2BLibrary071.jpg

I have this book and am reading it. It's a good read.