Offbeat 1960's sci-fi story

TheFatherThing

I used to borrow my brother's issues of F&SF, Asimov's, etc. and look for little gems to read (approx. from 1967-1975). Years later I recall many of the best (and most anthologized or award winning) of those, but other curious little oddities (like Ted Sturgeon's "It Was Nothing--Really!") I think of from time to time and now wonder about and find myself wanting to track down.

One that I recall dimly was set in a stadium (perhaps a football stadium?) packed with fans. There was some kind of violent gladiator-like activity taking place on the field where fans were being brutally killed by others (teams? aliens?). From time to time the p.a. system would call other fans onto the field so they could be sent to slaughter for the entertainment of the others. As I recall it they may even have been called alphabetically, but maybe just randomly (OK, Smiths, come on down...)

It doesn't sound like a comedy, but I recall it as an amusing short tale tossed off presumably by someone who generally published more serious pieces. But who knows? That's what has me curious.

I have tried in vain for years to find this story. Maybe I need the collective wisdom of crowds, so I thought I'd ask for help here.

Back