Druss vs Conan

Conan.
He is outrageously lucky, always lands on his feet what ever situation he finds himself in,not saying this has anything to do with simplistic plot devices though!
They would basically draw, have a laugh, some Lentrian red and go on a quest as best buddies.

This depends. Is it Druss with Snaga that still has the demon inside it? If so then I vote Druss over Conan. No offense to Conan he is one of the baddest men in the history of print but Druss with his demon enhanced axe took down everything in his path whether it was human or not.

I have seen a few threads on this topic, across various different forums. Until now I have never bothered to comment but today finds me in a fey mood.

To compare two heroes from different fictions is always difficult, as the way they interact with other characters, their world itself and most importantly the investment of the creator in the character is always different. And this is before you assess the merits of skill and heart. Then try and do this with the iconic figures of Druss and Conan?

My experience with this particular debate is that most often the debater has an emotional investment in one character or the other. So, let me say this - I idolize Druss, for what he stands for, the emotion he promotes in his brother and sister warriors and his uncompromising believe in himself (sadly something only a fictional character can achieve). However, I will for the most part try and stay neutral.

As we all know, a battle between and axeman and a swordsman is never long. This time frame would also be shortened again when you consider that both men are finishers. They do not test and pry their opponents defences like conventional duellist but overwhelm them like a tempest, they are both immensely strong and have speed that bellies their size and both their chosen weapons deal mortal wounds, the beautiful butterfly blades of Snaga the Sender and Conan’s Great Sword. They are always in balance and always attack. That is their physical standing. Now to the meat of it, their psychological standings.

Both men are warriors born and are excellent judges of men, so I assume when they stand face to face and appraise each other, they ‘know’ the man they are about to face. This doesn’t mean they know his deeds or prowess but his fighting spirit, akin to that feeling you have when your hackles rise. Druss is an indomitable spirit, he will not quit and he will fight just as hard from start to finish, he is blessed with the natural abilities of a true warrior as well as the lifetime of experience. He is instinctive. That I believe is what makes Druss unstoppable, he doesn’t think but acts and those actions are true. Conan is also instinctive but he is also a planner (despite Arnold’s representation) if this was a question to whom was the better commander, my money would be on him. He is ruthless, calculating and a hard enemy. However, this is a one on one battle to the death. And that I believe is the answer….to the death. Druss does not fear death, he would stand alone against the tide, all at once or one at a time. Conan would run and come back when he had the advantage and crush his enemy mercilessly, he has many aspirations, he is an adventurer with ambition, although he might not fear conflict I think he would rather live, than waste his life in a single battle. Druss is a warrior, Conan a conqueror.

However, I think the biggest difference is that Druss has an ethereal presence. He has never lost. Gemmel based him on a real life figure he idolised. Conan was character created by Howard. Conan isn’t thought of as invincible but Druss is. Even in death the Nadir fear and respect him.

Ending note: Both men inspire the kind of morals and emotions that I believe are lost to us in this day and age. They are an example to follow, as best we can. Gemmell's books changed me, Howard's made me proud to be a man. We are all enriched because of their writings and I will always aspire to be like their heroes.