Timothy Zahn to enter the Honorverse

Okay, I might agree with you Timba that it wasn't a "bad book." But it was not up to the standard that I have for Weber. I will read book 2 to see if there is something more there.

I've recently read The Service of the Sword and whilst I did quite enjoy Timothy Zahn's contribution, one thing became very obvious to me when I read Weber's story at the end of the collection and that is that Weber's characters were all fully three dimensional - they had good and bad points and the full spectrum between them - whereas the characters of all the others (Ringo in particular) were very much two dimensional; they were either good or bad and there was very little grey area in any of them.

I will almost certainly read this A Call to Duty when I get around to it but I'm not expecting it to have the same sort of depth as Weber's work.

I've recently read The Service of the Sword and whilst I did quite enjoy Timothy Zahn's contribution, one thing became very obvious to me when I read Weber's story at the end of the collection and that is that Weber's characters were all fully three dimensional - they had good and bad points and the full spectrum between them - whereas the characters of all the others (Ringo in particular) were very much two dimensional; they were either good or bad and there was very little grey area in any of them.

I will almost certainly read this A Call to Duty when I get around to it but I'm not expecting it to have the same sort of depth as Weber's work.

This I agree with, Weber has an exceptional ability to make his characters fully formed and feel like real people. Sadly this is a talent not found all the time among otherwise excellent writers.

This I agree with, Weber has an exceptional ability to make his characters fully formed and feel like real people. Sadly this is a talent not found all the time among otherwise excellent writers.
Indeed not, and it is made all the more noticeable by Weber's offering coming at the end.