Timothy Zahn to enter the Honorverse

I only read his first star wars book. I probably should get to his other stuff. I got a Yoda poster autographed by him when I was at comicon :)

This could be awesome. I've liked Timothy Zahn's stuff so I have high hopes. But I must say that usually when you get another author dabbling in someone else's universe you get something quite different. I think the Honorverse books will bear this out. Some good stuff there no doubt; but also no doubt different than what Weber would have done and so therefore something less than satisfying for me at least.

---- That said, I will of course read the first book and see how it plays out. --- :D

You echo both my hopes and concerns there Parson. The bit of 'Honorverse' reading I have done so far has, to be honest, been somewhat underwhelming for me.

We already have an example to judge by. In the Service of the Sword collection Zahn wrote one of the stories called With One Stone and I remember I was very satisfied with it when I read it.

Actually come to think of it aren't the Honorverse books the ones that are written by only Weber or Weber and Flint? I did quite enjoy those, rating the Weber alone one - Shadow of Saganami - the best. I have only read the one Worlds of Honor book (More than Honor) and in that I only really enjoyed the story written by Weber.

It's funny; I do love Weber's work but I seem to struggle with most of the rest of the Baen stable (though I do like Elizabeth Moon).

A quick check seems to indicate that all of the books dealing with Weber's "honorverse" are considered to be part of it.

As for the Baen Stable, I also like Elizabeth Moon, but only in small doses. I seem to tire of universe fairly easily, but then come back to it again. It seems to fall into those books that "I should like, but don't seem to like as much as I think I should." I've had some fun reading the books by Mark Van Name as well. His "Jon and Lobo" series has some pretty good moments in it.

Baen stable, I had not thought of it that way but I love Elizabeth Moon, really enjoy John Ringo, well his books anyway not so sure about him :), Eric Flint, especially the 1632 series has brought me hours of entertainment, Mercedes Lackey, Steve White, Ryk Spoor, David Drake, Lois McMaster Bujold I like them one and all. Just got started in the Liaden universe and have to say am really enjoying what Sharon Lee and Steve Miller have crafted. Weber remains my favorite though but I think Zahn will blend with him as well as Flint does and that promises good stuff coming in the future.

... Weber remains my favorite though but I think Zahn will blend with him as well as Flint does and that promises good stuff coming in the future.

That is my hope, Flint seems to be closest in feel to Weber out of the non-Weber HH stuff I have read. So maybe it will be OK.

Parson: I get confused by the different HH 'classifications'. I tend to think in terms of the core HH books, Then Honorverse I treat as being the four complete books: Crown of Slaves (W+F), Torch of Freedom (W+F), Shadow of Saganami (W) and Storm From the Shadows (W). Then the Worlds of Honor books are the short story collections from a number of different authors. It is the latter ones that I have read only one of and only really liked Weber's contribution.

Oh and I had forgotten Bujold. I do like her work but not as much as Moon and Moon not as much as Weber.

That is my hope, Flint seems to be closest in feel to Weber out of the non-Weber HH stuff I have read. So maybe it will be OK.

Parson: I get confused by the different HH 'classifications'. I tend to think in terms of the core HH books, Then Honorverse I treat as being the four complete books: Crown of Slaves (W+F), Torch of Freedom (W+F), Shadow of Saganami (W) and Storm From the Shadows (W). Then the Worlds of Honor books are the short story collections from a number of different authors. It is the latter ones that I have read only one of and only really liked Weber's contribution.

Oh and I had forgotten Bujold. I do like her work but not as much as Moon and Moon not as much as Weber.

I think that the way you think about the Honorverse makes sense, but I don't believe that's how the author or the publisher makes the qualifications.

I would agree that the anthologies are the weakest link in the Honorverse. I've read them all (I think) and there are a few memorable stories, a few good stories, and a few I wouldn't have minded missing at all.

Bujold I put in the same category as Moon. I like her universe and it looks like something I should really like, but I can only take it in small doses. On top of that I find Miles to be fairly unlikeable as a hero. (I'm not sure why, but I just do, enough so that I haven't any of the follow up in a number of years.)

The first Timothy Zahn/Weber book is due out Oct 7th. Will be called A Call to Duty. I am looking forward to it. The idea of a small series to go back in time and give us a view of the early days of the Manticore is appealing.

This is good news. I have only read Zahn's Star Wars books, but have enjoyed them a lot. Weber seemed a little fixated on the politics of the Honorverse, so this could inject some much needed excitement back into the series.

Okay I do like the idea of a new series set way back before the time of any of the current HH protagonists. And I see it is a co-authored one; though I suspect these sort of co-authored books are probably more along the line of 'discussed' with Weber and he has the final veto whilst the other author does all the actual writing. I strongly suspect Weber is putting his name to it in the same way old painting masters would put their name to paintings executed by their apprentices.

I confess that other than Weber, Moon and Bujold, I have been pretty unimpressed with most Baen authors I have tried. I thought March Upcountry from Weber and Ringo was just dreadful. So I've not read The Service of the Sword yet (though it is due up sometime soon) and haven't read any other Zahn, so maybe I should move that one up a bit to see what I think.

Vertigo -- I agree with you about the series with Ringo --- I"m embarrassed to report that I actually read 2 of them hoping for better. It got worse!

But Timothy Zahn's Star Wars stuff is highly regarded, If I recall correctly I read one of them. But more importantly I read the first 3 of the "Cobra" series. (I see he has several more out.) But those first 3 were solid. Solid ideas, solid characters, and a solid plot. I'm excited about the prospect.

Tim Zahn has produced some excellent material. His writing style seems to be very in-house SF magazine. He's a polished Heinlein with militaristic stuff.

'Spinneret' is a novel with huge ideas. I've hoped for years that he'd turn it into a series, it has so much potential. The 'Cobra' series is good, but not as good, in my poor opinion, as the 'Blackcollar' titles. The 'Conquerors' trilogy is another triumph.

Vertigo -- I agree with you about the series with Ringo --- I"m embarrassed to report that I actually read 2 of them hoping for better. It got worse!

But Timothy Zahn's Star Wars stuff is highly regarded, If I recall correctly I read one of them. But more importantly I read the first 3 of the "Cobra" series. (I see he has several more out.) But those first 3 were solid. Solid ideas, solid characters, and a solid plot. I'm excited about the prospect.
You know I wondered whether I ought to be giving that series a second chance; I guess you've just answered that one for me ;)

I think it is good that they have pitched this new series so far removed from the HH books. I think Flint has a big problem with his HH books in that they do have a different feel to Weber and yet share the same stage. By setting the new series so far in the past they should avoid that sort of comparison. Also adopting a male protagonist should help with the separation. There's a lot going for it really; they already have a well constructed believable universe that works politically, economically and socially but story-wise they have a (largely) blank canvas. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Was at the Baen site today and the available date for A Call to Duty for the e-book is 09/16/2014 so not as long a wait as I thought.

A Call to Duty is out today at the Baen site. I am in the middle of a good read and have several other recent purchases I should get to first but suspect when I finish the current book that this will become my next read.

I just remembered that I should say something about "A Call to Duty." But I'm not sure what. First, it was not a cracker jack book. It didn't grab me like any of the early Honor books. Nor was it particularly ground breaking. More than anything it felt like the on ramp to a series. I will likely read book #2, but it had better be better than book #1 if I'm going to be spending more of my hard earned money on it. (Is a Parson's salary hard earned?)

I find myself in strong disagreement with you Parson. I thought it was an excellent story helping to fill out the history of Manticore and as the first book in a 4 book deal that Zahn and Weber have cooked up I thought it set up for the ensuing books quite well. I particularly liked the part where Haven was not the enemy and the sense or feeling that gave regarding what eventually happens to Haven and leads them to being the bullies on the block.

Was it as good as a Weber only book or even a Weber and Flint book, no probably not but it certainly was a good read.