5.05: Merlin - The Disir

Dave, my kids are preferring dr who, too, and they used to be addicted to merlin. Frankly, we are all fed up with the notion that once the magic is revealed it is over. Even my seven year old has worked out she is being taken for a ride.

The problem with this episode (for all that it created a dilemma for Merlin and hence some tension and a debatably good storyline) is that he has now painted himself into a tight corner. Unless the creators have some brilliant idea for a story where he just has to do the reveal in a very major way, then he cannot ever reveal his magic now. I realise that it was beginning to make the other characters look a little stupid, but it was within the bounds of my suspension of disbelief before that no one had noticed and at some point they would all twig on to what what going on. It has passed beyond that point now to one where as Springs points out, even a seven year old can no longer suspend their disbelief. While I still like the show, I believe that this is a major problem. I would like it to continue for a few more Seasons, but not like this. He needs to do the reveal at the end of this Season or it just won't work any more.

It has passed beyond that point now to one where as Springs points out, even a seven year old can no longer suspend their disbelief. While I still like the show, I believe that this is a major problem. I would like it to continue for a few more Seasons, but not like this. He needs to do the reveal at the end of this Season or it just won't work any more.

Just read what they said:
The fifth series of Merlin may still be in production, but talks over a sixth series are already underway, according to the latest reports.

While no decision has been made on a sixth series of Merlin, co-creator Julian Murphy has confirmed “talk” of the series continuing beyond the upcoming 13-episode fifth series:
“No final decision has been made but there is talk. I don’t think it will be resolved immediately…You’ll have to wait and see on that one!”
Last year, producer Johnny Caps suggested a sixth chapter would largely depend on the audience’s appetite for the fantasy series:​
“[The plan isn't to end with series 5]. To us, it’s all about whether the audience carries on enjoying it. If the audience carries on enjoying it, and we carry on enjoying making it, then we’ll keep making it.”​

Originally posted: http://seriable.com/merlin-series-6-talks-confirmed/#ixzz2BijobkaR

As I said earlier there's so much hatred or dislike on this series that I would be really surprised IF they get renewed. It is so obvious from my point of view that people have lost their interest. They have seen better productions and they expect BBC to follow the pack leaders, but BBC won't do it. They are an institution who won't budge on their politics, no matter even if it's in their interest to do the change. But I suspect Merlin will be remembered as the best Arthurian series done since the invention of television.

Just read what they said:
Originally posted: http://seriable.com/merlin-series-6-talks-confirmed/#ixzz2BijobkaR

As I said earlier there's so much hatred or dislike on this series that I would be really surprised IF they get renewed. It is so obvious from my point of view that people have lost their interest. They have seen better productions and they expect BBC to follow the pack leaders, but BBC won't do it. They are an institution who won't budge on their politics, no matter even if it's in their interest to do the change. But I suspect Merlin will be remembered as the best Arthurian series done since the invention of television.

I'm trying to remember another Arthurian series that was any good at all...

I think overall in the rating Merlin was still doing quite well, but I'm not sure how the switch in time slot will have helped it.

And there is some love for the show out there, my 7 year old nephew has demanded, sorry asked all the box sets for Christmas

I think so, I'm stretching myself a bit though... I find it very hard to get back beyond Merlin (the American limited series with Sam Neill) and The horrendous adaptation of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists Of Avalon. There seems to be a scar tissue that stops me going back further...

That being said wasn't there an adaptation of Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave?