News Breaking:Disney Acquire Lucasfilm Star Wars 7 in 2015

At least it wouldn't be restricted as the prequels - the universe is the writer's oyster and we could get a brilliant story.

Or it could be Mickey Mouse v the ewoks.

The key thing is that Lucas is stepping aside and only acting as a consultant, so that gives me hope that a solid product may result. I wonder if the long-planned TV show might get up now as well.

Oh boy. I'm tempted to do a Blu-ray Darth Vader right now (get it?).

I am a big supporter of the prequels. I grew up with the originals and have not complained about, even defended MOST special edition changes, but I am worried about this. Hey, Disney has a good product, too, but.....I read in an article Lucasfilm had already an extensive story written for episodes 7,8 & 9. Now I thought RotJ was the last film. Period. A very exiting direction to go was the old Republic era, start of the Sith and all. Mr. Lucas has said if there was any new movies coming out, they would explore that era. This whole thing still does not sound authentic to me. There seems to be a great disturbance in the Force...

The key thing is that Lucas is stepping aside and only acting as a consultant, so that gives me hope that a solid product may result. I wonder if the long-planned TV show might get up now as well.

The only positive thing I've heard about this. I hope they do this right. Also, maybe new action figures will be easier to find at retail.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'm fairly optimistic about it. Worst case scenario? They make a new movie, it blows, I don't buy it on DVD and continue to enjoy the other six. Well, continue to enjoy about four and a half of the other six.

As far as I can see this is a win-win scenario, either the new movies are good (and I enjoyed what Disney did with the Avengers movie) or they're not and then nobody forces me to watch them or even really acknowledge their existence. What's the problem? I for one will be glad that Lucas no longer has the power to mess with things whenever he chooses and now, as another poster said, the entire Star Wars galaxy is the new writer's sarlak.*

*Oyster.

My initial reaction was that this was bad news, but having slept on it i've completely changed my mind.

Like it or not, George Lucas deserves to be recognised for revolutionising the movie making industry. Without Star Wars, we wouldn't have the movies that we have now. Look at what he's achieved through ILM and THX?

The Prequel Trilogy brought Star Wars to a new generation that loves it as much as we love our Trilogy. (And let us be honest, after 35 years of collecting and idolatry, the PT would never have been accepted by us, regardless of how good it may have been.)

I love the reasons Lucas has stated for doing this. By doing this deal, He has effectively given us Star Wars back. I am just concerned that in a few years we won't associate Star Wars with George and that's my biggest worry. Thanks George. Thanks for everything you've done for me, good or bad.

Out of this deal we get three new Star Wars Movies. That's already great news and I hope that they give it the Avengers Treatment.

Will we get the mooted Live Action TV series now? Will we get the original cut of Star wars on DVD/Blue Ray? What does this mean for my collection? It's all good and it's all exciting.

Yeah, i still think that Disney's an evil corporation and is right up there with Citi and GE and all the other corporations, but my fears that they're going to screw the franchise has dwindled dramactically and do you know what? I am really looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us.

Anyway, can't the man retire?

Will we get the original cut of Star wars on DVD/Blue Ray?

That was the first thought that I had, too :)

Hopefully his retirement will signal an end to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZlIoQPFX0 :D

Hasn't he always said that it was a nine episode story, at least since the original movie's title was changed to 'Episode IV'? I always figured VII, VIII and IX would be made at some point, so it must've been mentioned somewhere along the line.

I think you've summed it up perfectly Rodders, after the initial 'Say what now?' moment when you first hear the news you start to think of the possibilities and there really might be some interesting things on the horizon, good or bad they are intriguing.

I'm tempted to say A New Hope...

The other thing going through my mind is, if Disney have bought Lucasfilm and got Star Wars, have they got Indiana Jones as well?

...I read in an article Lucasfilm had already an extensive story written for episodes 7,8 & 9...
I heard that rumour as long ago as the cinematic release of Empire Strikes Back. (Which makes me feel extremely old.) I've since heard that it is true and also that it is not true. Someone* posted here, before, a copy of a denial by Lucas that it was ever true, but do you believe him? Who knows what the truth really is?

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/15502-after-return-of-the-jedi-2.html#post706131

As for this news, Disney is no longer just about cartoon animal musicals and wholesome family films about non-functioning families. They have been branching out in all directions. John Carter of Mars was Disney.

Actually, given the importance** of the franchise, it is more surprising that other films haven't been made already. If you compare it with Bond, Alien, Predator, Terminator, Batman, even Tarzan or Frankenstein and Dracula. The reason was always George Lucas and that he is now stepping aside.

edit: *Er... that person was me!

** for 'importance' substitute 'money-making capability'.

Last edited:
Does the mean that there is potential for Howard The Duck sequels? :p

I was initially very sceptical about this. However, I have been reading up on Disney and the market sees them as a body which is expert at 'reinvigorating brands'. It may be the case that they can breathe some life into the franchise. I did enjoy The Avengers so perhaps all is not lost.

Also, as Robjwhite states in an earlier post - If it's bad, I don't have to watch it and I don't have to buy it (but I do reserve the right to rant about it:D).

and I enjoyed what Disney did with the Avengers movie

Disney's entire involvement was financial, you can thank the choice of Director and his choice of actors & story for the rest. Disney is probably at it's best these days when it find talented people and throws money at them and patiently waits silently in a corner for profits to come back.

if Disney have bought Lucasfilm and got Star Wars, have they got Indiana Jones as well?

Yup, they have everything Lucasfilm ever did. So potentially a share of the various videogame licences as well, although this doesn't appear to have been spoken about yet.

My overall feeling is delight and trepidation in equal measure. Lucas just seemed more interested in what could be done than what should be done and surrounded himself with yes-men (and women) who decided he could do no wrong. As an earlier poster said, the technological innovations of his companies are more impressive than his writing/directing will probably ever be. I'm not actually sure THX & ILM is part of Lucasfilm so perhaps he'll even retain ownership of that side and continue his tinkering.

My second thought was $4bn dollars was an insanely cheap price. Even if Disney never released another second of Star Wars/Indiana Jones media, they now own the merchandising rights and can sell lunchboxes, cereal, t-shirts and whatever else enters their head and recoup that investment quickly, especially considering their already established distribution channels & stores.

And my final thought was "Oh *&^%! Why them". The Evil Empire appears to have crushed the Republic at long last. Pixar has never been the same since their 'merger' with their last two films being "Disney" more than "Pixar" and I expect similar child-like regression of the SWToR licence. Perhaps a Younglings meets Barney episode. "I love me, you have no emotional ties as they lead to the dark side, we're a happy family!"... :)

Hasn't he always said that it was a nine episode story, at least since the original movie's title was changed to 'Episode IV'? I always figured VII, VIII and IX would be made at some point, so it must've been mentioned somewhere along the line.

I heard that rumour as a young excited star wars obsessed nipper in the late 70s. But I think it was the burning desire of the public to have nine Star wars experiences!

Up until very recently, I believe, George Lucas has always adamantly stated that he only ever had six episodes written and never planned any more. Perhaps as he was polishing off the last bits and pieces of the original and prequels, he maybe started to ponder adding a post-trilogy...but then he publically stated that he didn't like the hordes of fans screaming at him for ruining starwars and that he wasn't going further with it etc...

I'm no longer a fan of this franchise for loads of reasons, but I sincerely hope Disney deliver films that the continuing fans love and enjoy.