5.04: Merlin - Another's Sorrow

ctg

weaver of the unseen
1rxdg4.jpg

Who's the woman?

Is Mithian the woman who was in it before?

Right then. Why did she go to Merlin to warn him of Morgana and not Arthur? Am I missing something there? Does she know Merlin has magic?

Speaking of magic, how come Merlin repeatedly gets his arse kicked by Morgana?

How could they not see the old woman was Morgana?

There is absolutely no chemistry between Arthur and Gwen. There's more between him and Mithian.

Was it just me, or did it look like Arthur was wearing lipstick?

Why doesn't Percival cover his arms? Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Next week's ep looks good.

Before I try to answer some of Mouse's questions, allow me to say wow. They really have done something with this season. Some of the episodes feels much longer then any of the previous ones.

And what a wonderful cave. It was truly spectacular. Then they have done something with knights armours as no longer the characters are dragging the chainmail everywhere, but these days they have upgraded to partial plate.

What is going on?

Mouse said:
Is Mithian the woman who was in it before?

I do not know and this week I didn't read any synopsis, just watched the pictures and there's something magnificent, elegant and almost majestic in her. Something that I cannot really put my finger on.

Maybe it is that I sense something frail in her and some of that acting wasn't just acting or then she's really good.

mouse said:
Right then. Why did she go to Merlin to warn him of Morgana and not Arthur? Am I missing something there? Does she know Merlin has magic?

Speaking of magic, how come Merlin repeatedly gets his arse kicked by Morgana?

Morgana should know that Merlin has magic and he should be her first target, not Arthur as we know that the King is nothing without his servant. And I only think she was trying to get to Merlin cos she thought that she could not go to have a chat with Arthur. But here we are, things keep turning the same way as they have done before. So meh... I don't know.

Mouskey said:
Next week's ep looks good.

Oh yes. The covenant. Wicked. :D

Wellll.... I thought this was the weakest episode in ages.

Although it was entertaining Saturday fare it was incredibly annoying. With all that Merlin has done in the last five years, no one listens to him when he says he is feeling uneasy, even Giaus who knows what he is. Mithian escapes from her room, wanders around Camelot, but in the most heavily populated castle in the kingdom, runs into no-one except Morgana, the number of people who find odd things but no-one puts it together, Morgana has Merlin at her mercy and does not kill him, Merlin bests her again but she gets away.

Sigh.

Now I'm starting to feel as though I'm an anti-Merlin type.

I do enjoy the show, but just found this particular episode to be a mix of some old ideas, re-used and executed poorly. But for me this is a glitch, the previous episodes have been strong, and next weeks looks very promising.

THis one not for me though.

I feel the same, Perp. I feel like I'm dissing the show a lot, when I really do enjoy it (wouldn't watch it otherwise!) It's just that it could be so much better if they just thought about things a bit!

I'm sure the same could be said about many of the shows we all like, but then it might feel like we are dissing them, but we're not really, we're just pointing out the weaknesses because we love them so much and want to see them better.

Something cheeky for mouskey.
Is this because of Mouse's right to bear arms...?

I found this episode, so-so. Too many plot holes (some already mentioned), and oddly enough, I also really noticed the upgrading of the armour this week. Perhaps the costume department has been saving up through the previous seasons. (Or perhaps they're subject to GoT envy.)

I recorded this on the the strength of the posts in these threads and as a massive Arthurian fan watched with baited breath. The breath is still baited...I have the season on record and will give it a few more episodes. I will also refrain from posting here unless I have something positive to say :)

I can only agree with the previous comments. It does feel like we have had an upgrade this Season on one level, and these the plot holes and lack of continuity spoil it. Last week was the comedy horror episode so I can give leeway. This episode should be bread and butter to the writers using established characters already used before.

Was this the first time Gaius has actually been seen to use Magic? I know he did very small things, sort of off camera, but under the reign of Uther I don't remember his eyes flashing before or, in fact, him ever not being evasive about what he had done.

I also thought the scene inside the throne/shrine most odd. When the 'earthquake' begins everyone acts like startled rabbits in car headlights and are completely paralysed as to what to do. It even affects Morgana, but not Arthur or Percival. What is the explanation for that? Have they been in an earthquake before?

I would have expected that a Wizard as great as Merlin would have detected the presence of magic being used. I would equally expect Morgana to be able to do the same. However, I think it has become clear now that no one is ever going to find out Merlin has magic, and so the stories involving him hiding, while at the same time, using increasingly powerful magic, are going to become increasingly unbelievable.

I also thought the scene inside the throne/shrine most odd. When the 'earthquake' begins everyone acts like startled rabbits in car headlights and are completely paralysed as to what to do. It even affects Morgana, but not Arthur or Percival. What is the explanation for that? Have they been in an earthquake before?
I suppose one difference is that Arthur and Percival are on the lookout for any chance to escape (and are prepared to take it/react at a moment's notice), whereas Odin and Morgana think they have everything under control (with Odin's minions being the ones who would do something if anything did happen), so the "'quake" catches Odin and Morgana off guard (and those on the side of evil always have useless minions ;)).

Was this the first time Gaius has actually been seen to use Magic? I know he did very small things, sort of off camera, but under the reign of Uther I don't remember his eyes flashing before or, in fact, him ever not being evasive about what he had done.

Yeah, it was the first time when Gauis has done that, but then again that's the thing, he is supposed to be an old school wizard. And as this is the last series with no Merlin coming in future, it's just good that they'd given him a chance to show him being able to do spells.

When the 'earthquake' begins everyone acts like startled rabbits in car headlights and are completely paralysed as to what to do. It even affects Morgana, but not Arthur or Percival. What is the explanation for that? Have they been in an earthquake before?

Don't know. Blame the producers, but if you want to have a counter argument, if a prisoner is looking for anything to do his escape, they'll use such events like earthquakes to their advantage. And if you look closely, you'll see Percival was a bit paralysed and only started to act offensively when Arthur chucked him a sword.

Mmmmm bit dodgy this episode I think. At least there were no obviously annoying errors like orange carrots though...

Gwen was annoying as usual - what on earth was she doing out of bed wandering about in the middle of the night?

Morgana looked like Morgana, even with weird white hair...

And 7 knights vs an entire army? Really? A little cocky methinks, not to mention stupid...

IF you could, how would you change this show? Would you deepen the story, the characters, take out certain elements?

What a great question ctg.

I'm not sure that I would change too much, especially keeping in the back of my mind the restrictions of television.

Much as I'd like to see epic battles with countless knights hacking away at one another, I don't think it could be done.

So the first and biggest thing is getting Merlin out into the open, with Arthur if not with anyone else. The two of them have this bond that has grown over 8 years (allowing for the time passed between seasons 4 and 5), if Arthur will not accept Merlin for what he is then there is no point in the show.

With the above happening it allows Merlin to move from being the magician under cover as a servant to trusted adviser. This in itself would open things up.

Rather than having plans brought into effect week in week out - generally Morgana setting a trap. Arthur walking into it, all looking lost saving the day, bring in a few fresh ideas - drawing on bits from Arthurian legend/popular tellings - let's have Pellinore and the questing Beast, perhaps a bit of friction within the kingdom, bring Lancelot back from wherever.

Don't end it suddenly, rather build it, perhaps having time pass, the quest for the Holy Grail over a number of episodes, Galahad, and Nimue the female force that will ultimately remove Merlin from the story.

Phew, and I'd like to see Arthur have a long reign will the fall coming more than a few years of his ruling. We want to see that he is a stupendous king, legendary in fact...

So the first and biggest thing is getting Merlin out into the open, with Arthur if not with anyone else. The two of them have this bond that has grown over 8 years (allowing for the time passed between seasons 4 and 5), if Arthur will not accept Merlin for what he is then there is no point in the show.

Seconded.

That's the main thing for me. I want Merlin out and proud. ;)

...forcing it to move after Casualty, and causing me to miss Inspector Montalbano. (I'm sure he's actually a "commisioner" (= superintendant). Fazio is an inspector.)

I suppose we ought to be grateful that Merlin doesn't use a wand.

Ack. I'd quite like to forget this episode and move on. It was a bit... boring :(

As for how I'd like to see it improve? I agree with Perp, some progression would be nice. And also, where is Morgana hiding the baby white dragon? I'm looking forward to seeing him again.