My website

Did you take the aforementioned samples down? I don't get a link to them? I also don't see a link through to a blog? Just email address and Twitter. Maybe the site itself is abandoned? (I did read the blog post, good tips.)

Did you take the aforementioned samples down? I don't get a link to them? I also don't see a link through to a blog? Just email address and Twitter. Maybe the site itself is abandoned? (I did read the blog post, good tips.)

I took the excerpts down recently as I'm not supposed to have bits and pieces of current work on the web. The blog link I need to fix - but I mostly tweet them now, which gets much bigger hits. So not abandoned - just using a different vehicle because of the traffic numbers.

Oh, and I get hardly any spam.

Mouse! Okey dokey - we'll stick Mr Brady at the top of it. :)

Cannot wait for the new book. Looking forward as always..

Thank you!

Actually this might be a nice time to bump the website in general, given how old this thread is and how little I had on it then.

So, I have tabs and links and what not. The blog remains the most active part of the site but the rest is updated reasonably regularly. Also, there are links to all my free-to-view short work. A mailing list is being developed next. :)

I think it's nice and clean looking but am no expert, so views are useful.

What's happening here is I'm finally reading yer first one. Have made it to Ch. 15 and it has kicked in and is going along nicely.

I've been thinking about the mailing list thing, and unsure of where to start. It is something with loads of conflicting information online in terms of what to use. I'll be interested to see how you find yours :)

What's happening here is I'm finally reading yer first one. Have made it to Ch. 15 and it has kicked in and is going along nicely.

This always makes me want to scramble and see where people are up to. :D (and ty.)

I've been thinking about the mailing list thing, and unsure of where to start. It is something with loads of conflicting information online in terms of what to use. I'll be interested to see how you find yours :)

I don't intend to put a lot of emphasis onto getting sign ups - I'd rather it grew organically with people who are genuinely interested. This is the way my blog grew and I think it makes a more interested group. I haven't rushed into it - because I'm already pretty visible and have a good twitter following for announcements etc - but am using the website more so it seemed a good time.

(And ty, Gary, for saving me from my demented head scratching.)

I think it looked pretty good myself. Although if you're going to make it look like a blog (by having dates etc) then you need to update it more often or lose the dates altogether. I think their are four entries since the start of the year - It doesn't give the impression of superactivity. Whereas without any dates who knows etc.

I think the point made by Erin99 about the email address deserves more consideration. Once the spammers have it they will use it.

The problem is that, apart from having to delete possibly thousands of emails, your site provider usually has conditions that allow them to suspend a site if too much crap is being sent (because it clogs their site and reduces their service to others.) My provider has such clauses and if you think about it, it makes sense.

Could I ask if this was generated from a template and if so where from?

I think it looked pretty good myself. Although if you're going to make it look like a blog (by having dates etc) then you need to update it more often or lose the dates altogether. I think their are four entries since the start of the year - It doesn't give the impression of superactivity. Whereas without any dates who knows etc.

I think the point made by Erin99 about the email address deserves more consideration. Once the spammers have it they will use it.

The problem is that, apart from having to delete possibly thousands of emails, your site provider usually has conditions that allow them to suspend a site if too much crap is being sent (because it clogs their site and reduces their service to others.) My provider has such clauses and if you think about it, it makes sense.

Could I ask if this was generated from a template and if so where from?

It's linked to a seperate blog - via the tabs - which is updated at least weekly. I don't want to start copying those posts to the website - as many aren't specifically about the books - but do plan to add links to reviews and what not. I'm surprised at the traffic it gets, actually. (I'm hoping to update the info tabs etc today.)

The email address thing linked to my earlier website and an old email address - as far as I'm aware that isn't a problem anymore and I no longer have a contact-me form. The odd time a person does contact me they seem to use the twitter, fb or goodreads platform.

It's a wordpress site but it wasn't me that designed it - I just put the updates in - but maybe Gary can confirm about templates etc.

If it's wordpress hosted on a paid for server - ask the 'web-boss' :D to install the Jetpack plugin. As part of that there is a very good spam filter, not to mention a billion other "make it easier for the user" things that will reduce the number of things you need to update without losing the personality of the site and the connection to the reader.
Decide which of the many outlets is your main one, make it work for you.

Also, dear, lovely Jo, between cooking dinner, packing the kids lunches and editing your current piece of work, ( :D :D ) you might want to update your upcoming appearances on the site.