My website

Well, okaaaay... But you will get SWAMPED with spam. :eek::eek::eek:

If you need any other website help, I can offer pointers. I love designing sites. :)

I just checked, it's generated using a java script so apparently there is no direct link that spam bots can use, as it isnt hardcoded into the html.

Ty, i learned two more things today... (And that i have a v. Clever bro :) but i knew that)

Oh and ty stormcrow and aber for your feedback.

Hmm. Very odd! Well, when I view your source code, I can clearly see the mailto tag... which means spam bots will too:

My email is: <a href='mailto:YOUR_EMAIL'>YOUR_EMAIL</a>
Well done to your bro, though - fantastic job. I can appreciate the source code! :D

Edit: when I think about it, using javascript to generate the email will still display the email if all the script is doing is generating your email addy into a mailto tag (some javascripts CAN hide your addy, but this one seems not to). Maybe you could insert this instead, which is the same line of text I quoted above (the entire line, including the correct mailto code) but encrypted using an online encrypter?

<Script Language='Javascript'>
<!-- HTML Encryption provided by iWEBTOOL.com -->
<!--
document.write(unescape('%4D%79%20%65%6D%61%69%6C%20%69%73%3A%20%3C%61%20%68%72%65%66%3D%27%6D%61%69%6C%74%6F%3A%6A%6F%40%6A%6F%7A%65%62%65%64%65%65%2E%63%6F%6D%27%3E%6A%6F%40%6A%6F%7A%65%62%65%64%65%65%2E%63%6F%6D%3C%2F%61%3E'));
//-->
</Script>
See? The line is so unreadable that spam bots couldn't harvest your details from it. :) And when you view the page in a browser, it looks exactly as you wanted it to.

Had a look at the source code and the email address doesn't appear here (using Firefox). The way it appears here does seem to be generating it in an unreadable way and specifies for Java to be enabled.

How weird! I'm in Firefox for now, and I see the mailto code...

I wonder if the javascript only generates the email source code once it finds javascript in your browser, which would work against bots...

But it's weird that I'm seeing different to Hoops. :confused:

Edit: Oh! That's weird! In Opera I can see the javascript and NOT the mailto! Which means my first theory must be wrong. If javascript only generated the email source code AFTER seeing javascript in the browser, I'd be seeing the same as in Firefox...

Yeah, it seems the Firefox I'm using isn't displaying the code as it should. I'm seeing something the spam bots would love, yet everyone else - and my Opera browser - is seeing what your brother intended.

Very weird!

Just a thought, probably for brian. Given that publishers are wanting to see evidence of self promoting, and a lot of us have sites, blogs or are thinking about same...i wasnt where to put this... Unknown author builds site, stop press! Should we have a specific place for these or a listing to give the opportunity to link?

Not that i know how to do that btw, but i could ask. :D

Can you explain what you mean again? I've read that a few times and I'm being dense, cos I didn't get it. :eek:

Sorry my ipad gargles posts for a living.

Would it be a good idea to have a thread for members' web and blogsites? That way it would be easy to find them and act as a listing of chrons talent? (Plus hangers on in my case :p )

I thought we already had a thread like that somewhere, springs, but I might've imagined it.

I like that idea! That way we wouldn't keep cluttering up this area for people with proper story sales, and all our sites would be in the one place, as a sort of reference...

You could ask Brian in the feedback section and tell him we're all using the Press Release section right now, but that it might not be the best place. No harm in throwing the idea out there! (And I mean the idea of having a dedicated section, not just a thread... unless a thread is better???)

Edit: Really, Mouse? I must have missed it all these years! :eek:

I got my sample chapters up today. It was a little easier choosing them compared to hv. The one difficulty i had was that the prologue to book two gives away too many spoilers for the end of abendau's child, so i went with the Baelan chapter one instead, which is the stronger scene anyway.

I have a book review to copy onto the blog, which is mostly what i planto use it for, and hopefully now i look like i am halfway into the modern age. :)

Very stylish, Springs.

One thing: as these are not manuscripts, you might try not indenting the first line of the first of paragraph of each scene. (In Sunset over Abendau, this might make the scene break - if it is one - more obvious.)

You have excess line spacing in Inish Carraig and Abendau's Child.

Thanks, ursa, i will have a look at the spacing, it might be the reformatting of word into pdf. I am not sure about the indenting, is there a standard? I thought they might look more book like with it, but maybe they shouldn't be. I will search and see if i can find any standard guidance. Ty

Most manuscripts have a 0.5" indent on all paragraphs other than the first line of all new scene/chapter breaks. I use 0.3", however, cos I find 0.5" too distracting. :D

And Word keeps the formatting the same when it converts into PDF, so you should have no problem once you change the original document. :)

Good luck! Now I'll have to log off and go look at your sample chapters. :)

Hmm. Very odd! Well, when I view your source code, I can clearly see the mailto tag... which means spam bots will too:

Well done to your bro, though - fantastic job. I can appreciate the source code! :D

Edit: when I think about it, using javascript to generate the email will still display the email if all the script is doing is generating your email addy into a mailto tag (some javascripts CAN hide your addy, but this one seems not to). Maybe you could insert this instead, which is the same line of text I quoted above (the entire line, including the correct mailto code) but encrypted using an online encrypter?

See? The line is so unreadable that spam bots couldn't harvest your details from it. :) And when you view the page in a browser, it looks exactly as you wanted it to.

The current solution is too clever by half, Leisha. Use inspect element instead of view source to get the prerender -- the issue is the dev has implemented the JS writer, but also included a noscript tag for folks that don't enable javascript (which is basically nobody ;)) that just baldly places the mailto tag back in the source. Thing is, a scraper won't care that it's in a noscript, so that should be pulled at the inconvenience of all the nobodies who are using either an antique javascriptless browser or have, for whatever insane reasons folks do so in the modern age, disabled javascript. I mean, even Blackberry supports JS now!

EDIT: ... And ... I just realized I responded to a months old post and this has probably been sorted on page 2 or so... sorry. :\ (Course, if it wasn't stripped, it's prolly too late and your box is already a spam magnet, Springs.)