Knights of Dark Renown is in the Drenai universe

Johnny71181

Warning, KoDR spoiler below.

I'm sure many already know this, but I just figured it out.

While reading White Wolf, there is a mention of a Silverhand who died 2000 years ago and caused a tree to bloom. This is a direct reference to Nuada in KoDR. Although not directed called a novel of the Drenai, we now know that it takes place in the same universe.

In the same paragraph he mentions a Revered Lady. Is she from one of his other books (just book title, no spoilers please)?

I remember reading somewhere on the interwebs that Gemmell intended all his series to be interconnected. This makes most sense when I think of his frequently mentioned ring of stones and the time travel purposes they are used for in so many books.

Last edited:

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
So is Echos of the Great Song, I personally equate this with the much mentioned 'Fall' from the Drenai series.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Not read the first post, as I want to avoid spoilers. :)

However, I'm sure I read a Wiki on this book mention Nuada of the Silver Hand and Mannanin as characters. In which case, it's seriously peaked my interest, as Nuada is a character in the Cuchulain cycle of Irish myth, and Mannanin is the Celtic god of the seas. So I would expect a strong Celtic flavour here.

Is that the case?

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
As I remember, it does but not as strong as the Rigante.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I think The Revered Lady might be the same as The Veiled Lady from the Rigante...

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
Not read the first post, as I want to avoid spoilers. :)

However, I'm sure I read a Wiki on this book mention Nuada of the Silver Hand and Mannanin as characters. In which case, it's seriously peaked my interest, as Nuada is a character in the Cuchulain cycle of Irish myth, and Mannanin is the Celtic god of the seas. So I would expect a strong Celtic flavour here.

Is that the case?
Surprisingly not, really. There's a ton of Irish mythological names in the books - but none of the themes or feels are there, really.