AMC's Hell on Wheels - Season 2 - The series that is unappreciated by so many.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
I just finished watching the season finale and I have to say it's truly wonderful. The hell on wheels speaks to you in so many ways. Not only it's spiritual but it has such a great moments.

Anyone who used to love westerns used to dream about this sort of stories that this series is bringing in the smalls screen. And I have to say that the protagonist Bohanan is one truly tormented soul. Nothing that he loves stays alive.And the actor, Anson Mount does such a good job playing him.

He deserves a medal.

Something.

The writing is wonderful in this series - you guess couple of turns because they are so obvious, but you don't know what's really coming at the end - I say for that much, because I don't want to spoil you.

I just give it five stars.

Well done AMC. Well done Hell on wheels crew.

Season One finished here a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it - perhaps not to the same level as ctg did - and I'll keep an eye out for a Season Two.

What can I say? The last western series I saw was the Little House on the Prairie and since then it's only been a few movies. So watching this filled the hose I felt I had in my soul. And it connected me in the same way as the modern westerns like Unforgiven and The Assassination of Jesse James did. Hence I recommend this particular series as it doesn't show the grit, which is missing in so many series.

KIND OF SPOILERS FOR SEASON TWO:

(highlight) I really enjoyed watching Hell of Wheels, liked the characters, but wished it had ended better. I feel the two-part finale of season 2 was rushed just so they could wrap up the story prematurely. Why, I'm not sure. Did AMC choose not to renew it for a third season? If so, that is sad because as CTG rightly titled this thread: the show is underappreciated. If it's going to get a third season then I see no sense to the way it ended. (/highlight)

Love this series. Excellent in all respects. Hope the move from Sunday to Saturday doesn't hurt ratings.

I don't think so. Hell on Wheels keep surprising and delivering excellent Western drama time after time, even if people doesn't really care about it.

No real "edge of the seat" moments yet in S3, but this is one of my favourite shows at the mo. Very different to my normal fare, but definitely essential viewing.

Damn that Norwegian undertaker. I have hated his guts for all three seasons and I wish he will burn in hell for what he has done. Season 3 finale looks to be as exciting as the last one.

AMC announced today that it renewed its original Western drama Hell on Wheels for an expanded fourth season. For its third season, Hell on Wheels was moved to Saturday – a day that AMC has traditionally devoted to classic Western films and television shows – and the show attracted a larger audience than it had in its second season on Sunday nights. In its third season, Hell on Wheels delivered an average audience of 3.3 million viewers, live and with three days of time shifting.

“John Wirth and his team on both sides of the camera delivered a remarkable third season and Hell On Wheels fans responded. We are so proud of this show and congratulate everyone who has contributed to its success,” said Charlie Collier, AMC president. “AMC has served passionate Western fans for three decades, so it is particularly gratifying to see these viewers capping off their Saturdays with an original Western on what has historically been a tough night of the week for television. Our commitment to the genre is unwavering and we look forward to continuing to super-serve this audience with an expanded fourth season of Hell on Wheels.”
The season four renewal is for 13 episodes, following 10 hours in each of its first three seasons. Hell on Wheels will return to AMC next summer. AMC Renews Hell on Wheels for an Expanded Fourth Season

Watched the first episode of Hell on Wheels last night - really enjoyed it. Loved the production values and sense of the authentic. Also, interesting characters, and no gratuitous sex or gore! Might have to watch it quickly while I still have it on Amazon Instant Video.

Reactions: ctg
This series is another glowing testament to the high quality of AMC programming. Hard to believe AMC is not a premium subscription channel.

I panicked when AMC and DirecTV were having their renewal fee standoff. Wouldn't want it dropped.

Watched the first episode of Hell on Wheels last night - really enjoyed it. Loved the production values and sense of the authentic. Also, interesting characters, and no gratuitous sex or gore! Might have to watch it quickly while I still have it on Amazon Instant Video.

You had me at "no gratuitous sex or gore!"

Will check it out! :)

The last season is only seven episodes long, and it'll mostly feature the last stretch through the California. Hopefully we'll get to a satisfactory solution to the Swede thing. You know what I'll mean.

Death to the Swede!

I don't recall ever seeing a more difficult to dispatch TV villain. Bohannan failed. The Mormons opted to use him rather than have him answer for his double murder of their own.

I hope his end is a painful one.

Reactions: ctg
Egad! What an alien setting for the last season!
The only regular characters to reappear, thus far, are Bohannon and, of all the possibilities, “The Swede.”

Not only does Bohannon fail to instantly shoot this lunatic, he's employing him. No more Irish or freed slaves at the new railroad. They are all Chinese and Mormons.

Hopes fade that The Swede will be pushing up daisies by the end of the series.