Children's Sci-Fi Series

heidiogilvy

Hi, this is a really tough one as I can remember almost nothing about it! In the early 80s I read a children's sci-fi series of about six or seven books. I remember really enjoying it but not much else. There was a central hero who was the main character in all the books - a kind of Luke Skywalker figure, or more old-fashioned even, more a Flash Gordon figure. He lived in a galaxy or on a world that was ruled by some kind of council of evil overlords - I think there were six of them. They didn't appear in any of the books until the last one, and each book to him a step closer to confronting them. I think they were all identical in appearance. The front cover of the last book had them all on the cover. That's really about all I remember, except maybe one of the earlier books had a picture of the hero falling down a long shaft (like Luke in 'Empire Strikes Back'). As I say, this was the early 80s, but got the books out a local library - I think they were kind of old-fashioned, so they could hail from anytime between 50s to alte 70s. :confused:

This sounds more or less like the E.E. Smith Lensmen series. Check Wikipedia for loads of plot details. Six books, all leading to the eventual defeat of the council of alien bad guys, by a Flash Gordon type named Kimball Kinnison. I believe they are all available these days as ebooks, maybe for free.

A preceding series by E E Smith is the "Skylark of Space" series.

--Paul E Mussleman