5.01: Merlin - Arthur's Bane - Part I

Oh dear! *worries about reputation*

:D

Your reputation is safe with me my dear. In my eyes you have a good one. And you're amazingly talented writer as well. People absolutely love write with you, but before I making you blushing I have to depart.

Sorry.

I am quite surprised that you have picked up my description of a psychic alien. That is the only way I can see it, but as I see that is the only way I can explain it. I have read a lot about monsters, but I have never seen such a creature. Hence usage of an alien word.

But if it's something else then I have to give them an applause as they have created something unique. Something similar to the soul-gate of last season.

Your reputation is safe with me my dear. In my eyes you have a good one. And you're amazingly talented writer as well. People absolutely love write with you, but before I making you blushing I have to depart.

You flatterer, you. :eek:

My first thought was alien, but as this is Merlin, I then thought some sort of weird glowy fairy. But we'll have to wait and see, I suppose!

My first thought was alien, but as this is Merlin, I then thought some sort of weird glowy fairy. But we'll have to wait and see, I suppose!
Okay then, let's speculate on what it might be if (and I agree that it just doesn't make much sense) it isn't really an alien.

1. The Ghost of Uther Pendragon
  2. or, much more likely, Morgan Le Fay

Okay, the blue sprite is a Euchdag (also known as the Diamair.)
http://merlin.wikia.com/wiki/Euchdag

A creature that carries a great burden – the gift of all-knowledge. Shy and elusive, she has been driven underground by those desperate to seek her out. She casts a spell on an unconscious Gwaine, when the latter sees a light but is ambushed by Morgana's men when he goes to find out what it is. So the Euchdag is what Morgana has been searching for.

According to SFX, the Euchdag is played by the award-winning Josette Simon, famous from many shows and films, notably in our genre Blake’s 7 (where she was Dayna).

You mean like an alien Grey with a Tefal head? Who knows!

I'm still Googling for some derivation of the word but I don't speak Gaelic and Euchdag has some real meaning in Gaelic (I think concerning some kind of music.)

Edit: Okay, it isn't a mythological creature but is Gaelic for a charming girl.

Hmm. Interesting. Doesn't look female to me. (And I keep reading it as douchebag, but it is late for me). Anyways, I should stop judging it!

After extensive Googling I still can't answer the question except that we aren't the only people who thought that "Freaky Translucent Blue Being seems to have wandered in from a sci-fi show by mistake."

Also, quite a few people expected that Sefa, the servant girl, would be the new person who spends the whole season being trusted while actually being a baddie, and were confused that she will be executed. However, since Merlin seems sweet on her, the likelihood of that actually happening is slim.

Getting late for me also. Maybe we will get an answer next week?

I'll be surprised if she is executed!

I'm looking forward to next week's ep. Definitely.

It was the Queen of Hearts (the Red Queen was in Through the Looking Glass), but she didn't carry out her threats either; it was all bluster and rant.

The Gryphon tells Alice that "It's all her fancy: she never executes nobody, you know."

I was kinda hoping that this series would grow up a little. I know it was aimed at younger audience at first, but it should of matured a bit more than this!!!

I was disappointed. Didnt feel things had moved on much at all. The characters having grown, and that alien like creature at the end - well are they running out of ideas perhaps

It was the Queen of Hearts (the Red Queen was in Through the Looking Glass), but she didn't carry out her threats either; it was all bluster and rant.

The Gryphon tells Alice that "It's all her fancy: she never executes nobody, you know."

I know Dave. I know.

But if you look her at the end, you see her wearing red. And that was, what she basically did.

PS. It's in the Alice in the Wonderland, chapter 9.

What I'm saying is that they should execute her, absolutely. But it is difficult, because its a different portrayal. However, she should have owned her character by now, and what she does is up to her, really.

If the BBC is going to continue this series with many years, then they should start growing the arc, as the people have said Arthur was around forties when he went to push up daisies.

Gawain and Percival semi naked? That needs to happen more often. They also need to get it on. Percival is fine.

Was I the only one who, during any scene, thought that two of the men were about to kiss? Couldn't help but feel there was an undercurrent of homo-erotica through this episode.

That was the most enjoyable part of it - my suspension of disbelief was destroyed at the opening, when twenty or so knights of Camelot ran away from a wolf.

And then in the battle when Arthur, upon seeing him surrounded, shouts "Run away!"

I think they've based this on Monty Python. ;)

On a primetime children show? No. It would have been a very, very silly thing. Also Brian it is recommended that shut off part of your reasoning ability when the show runs.

Was I the only one who, during any scene, thought that two of the men were about to kiss?

You're asking that about a show that you know I watch? :p

Honestly, no I didn't think they were going to kiss as, like ctg says, it's a kids show. I hoped they would but I don't think it'll happen! Percival and Gwaine would make a lovely couple though. ;)