Help! Forgotten Title!

Paige_Turner

NightShade
It's been 10 years since I have read this book, but I remember it clearly. All except the title and author. -_- I believe it was published in the 1970s.
Description: A man (a trucker) and a woman (a small town waitress) who are both depressed and wishing they had a different life, find themselves in situations where they should be dead, but were pulled from their realities at the moment before they die. This was accomplished by a wizard (whom I recall being "rotund") that explains that they are needed to save his world. He gives them both a magical makeover to make them heroic in their own image. There is a snarky demon, unicorns, and a medieval setting involved.

Cover: Man and woman, both wearing jeans, in foreground (back view). Standing at the bottom of a hill. Winding road in front of them. Castle at the top. Roundish man in wizard garb gesturing upwards to the castle.

~ If anyone recognizes this in any way, PLEASE let me know. It's been driving me quite mad. Thank you. :)

Have moved to 'Book Search' where this properly belongs.

Oh, and the book you're looking for sounds to me like River of the Dancing Gods by Jack L Chalker -- the first in a series involving the same protagonists.