Anybody here like reading HG Wells?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
War of the Worlds I like the eye witness documentary account approach of the book. Ive read this multiple time, it never gets old. There have been attempts a sequels to this one Garret Services Edison's Conquest of Mars . Which was an unauthorizd sequel, It become much more obvious later on in the novel :)

Of further interest is Kevin J Anderson's anthology War of the Worlds Global Dispatchs and novel The Martian War Both terrific reads.(y)(y)

Extollager

What about When the Sleeper Wakes, The Food of the Gods, In the Days of the Comet, etc.? Any good? The stories from his grand period that includes Time Machine, War of the Worlds, First Men in the Moon, "The Star," etc. I know pretty well, but I've had the impression the later books wouldn't do. Am I wrong?

j d worthington

What about When the Sleeper Wakes, The Food of the Gods, In the Days of the Comet, etc.? Any good? The stories from his grand period that includes Time Machine, War of the Worlds, First Men in the Moon, "The Star," etc. I know pretty well, but I've had the impression the later books wouldn't do. Am I wrong?

It has been decades since I read it, but (if memory serves) The Food of the Gods is definitely worth reading; and, if it means anything to you, Heinlein felt that When the Sleeper Wakes was one of the formative influences on his own approach to writing science fiction.....

Extollager

Thanks -- I'm rereading The First Men in the Moon now (ten years since last reading), but I might turn to Food in a while.

Randy M.

Anyone who wants to read The War of the Worlds might be interested in first reading "The Crystal Egg."

My favorites are TWotW and The Island of Dr. Moreau. The latter is one of the great sf/horror stories. Also, his short, "The Sea Raiders" is a terrific terror tale told in clear, journalistic fashion and all the more chilling because of it. (Might make interesting pairing with Arthur Machen's "The Terror".)

Randy M.