Spaced (1470 Words) - short story piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyBeR

And again I present a chunk of a story for your critical eye. I've kept a lot in mind from my previous postings, and I hope this will be seen well.
It's a short story (very short story), part of some that I'm writing to set up my blog soon.

Spaced​

There was something eerily beautiful about the giant blue globe filling his field of vision. Dimmed somewhat by the helmet’s polarizing filters, it was still bright and teeming with unseen activity, with the white swirls of clouds on their endless journey through the atmosphere, with large patches of green where the forests still bloomed, and the neverending expanses of blue ocean where all life came from; all as picture perfect as ever. Nothing could humble a man more than such a view, slowly growing to engulf his entire sight.

With great effort, and the last of his suit’s propellant reserves, he turned his back to the globe as it rose to meet him. If his life were to end then, he preferred to be watching the stars that he tried so hard to reach, rather than his home that he would never embrace again.

“They shine so brightly…” he thought.

Life on the station never could be classified as uneventful or stagnant. Yet, nonetheless, he felt stuck in a rut. The space faring population increased tenfold in only the past couple of years and the once empty station was teeming with activity. From research to operations controls to medical procedures and even space tourism, there was more activity than ever before. They had even begun constructing new modules to accommodate the sheer number of people coming up after the energy breakthroughs that solved so many problems.

“Fine economics was all they needed to want to reach the stars again.” Johan always said at the end of the shifts, as they met in the overcrowded lounge. Bryan agreed, of course, but he didn’t have to like it as well.

With such an influx of scientists and technicians, his job there, once a great point of pride in his life, now felt menial and unimportant. Not that it could actually be called that – the security of more than a thousand souls was his to safeguard against any structural weaknesses in the outer hull – but it still rattled him that more important, more interesting things were going on all around him.

And he was left out of them, as if cast out of the making of history itself.

He watched his monitor as he slowly scanned the surface of the station, taking in the familiar readings, depression seeping deeper as he kept thinking of the bigger pictures that went on without him, when the light blinked red. It snapped him out of his funk. Finally, something to feel important for; a loose plating maybe, or a fissure or an air leak somewhere. He almost smiled as he checked his instruments, until he noticed that the irregularity was just another person in a space suit, on the surface.

Whoever it was, it was holding one of the new cameras adapted for outer space work, large and bulky, so it could be operated by the suit’s thick fingered gloves.

“Odd…” he thought as he checked the records and couldn’t find anybody scheduled for outer vehicular work that day except for himself. He maneuvered the small surveillance craft closer to the figure and donned his own suit’s helmet and tether before depressurizing the cabin and exiting. Whoever it was, it did not answer any radio calls.

He walked slowly over the surface of the ship, his magboots holding him in place securely. The other person did not seem to notice him as he came close and placed a gloved hand on its shoulder. That did the trick however as the stranger visibly jumped, startled. That at least alleviated Bryan’s fear that it may be just another tourist that had wondered from some tour and hyperventilated himself into a in-suit faint. The visor was covered with the antiglare filter and he couldn’t see who was inside.

“Are you ok in there?” he asked as he touched his helmet to the other’s. A few moments’ pause and the answer came, a woman’s voice.

“You’re not supposed to be out here.” He continued, while checking if there were any problems with her suit. She had her radio turned off, but nothing else came on the readings.

“You startled me…” came the answer “and I’m not doing anything wrong.”

“Miss, you are not scheduled to be out here. It’s very dangerous for yourself to have gone out without any proper clearance.” Now he was certain it was just another adventurous tourist that had slipped out some unguarded bulkhead. The camera trained on Earth should have been his first clue.

“But…it’s so beautiful. Don’t you agree?” She gestured in a slow arc towards the bright planet bellow. “Why must people abandon it for this black abyss?” She had a soft voice, almost pleading even through the helmets.

“I don’t know about that miss, but please come with me.”

She left herself be tethered to him and be guided to the vehicle. Bryan noticed she at least had the presence of mind to don a suit equipped with magboots. It didn’t look like the new, fancy ones that the tourists kept bringing up with them, but rather very much like a station one. He’d have to enquire about that.

He signed out of the maintenance shift and called in Johan to replace him as he took care of his straggler. As the vehicle docked he found out her name was Naomi and she was on a paid station tour, financed by one of the media conglomerates that kept buying advertisement space there.

“I hate it here.” she confessed, as they were helping one another out of the suits. “Man should stay where he’s been put, not wander these Godless places.” Bryan couldn’t remember the last time he’d met a religious person, much less around the station and was surprised that there were people that felt that way about space exploration, especially after all the good that had come from it.

“Man’s curious by his born nature miss Naomi. And my superior will be curious as to why you were out there. I’ll need you to fill in these forms.” He slipped a couple of documents with a pen attached towards her.

She read them for a moment and then handed them back. “Could we please not do this? I wasn’t hurting anyone.” She watched him with big, dark eyes, looking suddenly shy. “I merely wanted to see the Earth without being ever rushed by that horrible guide.”
Bryan felt like insisting but he had had enough to think about for one day and didn’t much feel like writing reports for one romantic, religious nut. “Just don’t do it again please.” He made a mental note to check up on how she actually got hold of a station space suit…but that was quite simple for anyone with a bit of cash really.

“Would you join me for lunch?” Her question was sudden and took him by surprise as they floated out of the maintenance offices. “I’d like to treat you for being such a gentleman about this. I really did not intend to cause anyone any trouble.”

It turned out that Naomi would be on the station for a week more and they met again. By happenstance at first, then on lunch and a simile of dates; Bryan found himself endeared to the dark haired, dark eyed short Asian girl. She was perhaps too slim and had a figure too girlish for his tastes, but he nonetheless enjoyed her company, especially as she kept asking to be shown around. For someone that hated it up there as much as she did, she was awfully curious of everything going on.

It made him feel important for the first time in months as he showed her research wings – “I can’t take you further than Access Level 2”, he confessed to her “which is much further than civilians usually can go. Further there are biological experiments of one nature or another.” – and even recreational areas for the staff and scientists. She was interested in his work and that broke up his routine. In spite of regulations, he even invited her with him on his outer space rounds. She may not have shown much interest in the mind numbing reading of sensor data, but she would spend her time reading in the cramped interior, the light of the world beneath spilling through the small ports.

A week came and went and she didn’t yet leave, much to his relief. On the final day he got the news that she’d be staying a week longer, having informed her employers that she needed a bit more time to finish her assignment. They apparently were more than happy to oblige.

That very same day they became lovers. “Zero G love making is like nothing you’ve ever felt before.” He told her as they half floated, half stumbled towards his small suite, kissing and undressing.

And it wasn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
CyBeR -- you forgot the need to introduce a clear line's space between each paragraph. I've done it for you this time, but next time, please ensure you format it properly, as it makes a long piece difficult to read when it's all in one solid block.

I HATE it when you're the first to post. When I saw that you posted, my first thought was " Uh-oh, what did I forget?".

And again I present a chunk of a story for your critical eye. I've kept a lot in mind from my previous postings, and I hope this will be seen well.
It's a short story (very short story), part of some that I'm writing to set up my blog soon.

Spaced​

There was something eerily beautiful about the giant blue globe filling his field of vision. Dimmed somewhat by the helmet’s polarizing filters, it was still bright and teeming with unseen activity, with the white swirls of clouds on their endless journey through the atmosphere, with large patches of green where the forests still bloomed, and the neverending expanses of blue ocean where all life came from; all as picture perfect as ever. Nothing could humble a man more than such a view, slowly growing to engulf his entire sight. If he's leaving this planet, shouldn't it be shrinking instead of growing into view?
With great effort, and the last of his suit’s propellant reserves, he turned his back to the globe as it rose to meet him. If his life were to end then, he preferred to be watching the stars that he tried so hard to reach, rather than his home that he would never embrace again.
“They shine so brightly…” he thought.

Life on the station never could be classified as uneventful or stagnant. Yet, nonetheless, You can get rid of one and just use "yet" or "nonetheless" he felt stuck in a rut. The spacehyphenfaring population increased tenfold in only the past couple of years a more specific timeframe will make it seem like people are keeping an eye on this kind of thing and the once empty station was teeming with activity. From research to operations controls to medical procedures and even space tourism, there was more activity than ever before. They had even begun constructing new modules to accommodate the sheer number of people coming up after the energy breakthroughs that solved so many problems.
“Fine economics was all they needed to want to reach the stars again.” Johan always said at the end of the shifts, as they met in the overcrowded lounge. Bryan agreed, of course, but he didn’t have to like it as well.
With such an influx of scientists and technicians, his job there, once a great point of pride in his life, now felt menial and unimportant. Not that it could actually be called that – the security of more than a thousand souls was his to safeguard against any structural weaknesses in the outer hull – but it still rattled him that more important, more interesting things were going on all around him. The hook here is quite good, I'm already wondering how this is going to play out
And he was left out of them, as if cast out of the making of history itself.
He watched his monitor as he slowly scanned the surface of the station, taking in the familiar readings, depression seeping deeper as he kept thinking of the bigger pictures that went on without him, when the light blinked red. It snapped him out of his funk. Finally, something to feel important for; a loose plating maybe, or a fissure or an air leak somewhere. He almost smiled as he checked his instruments, until he noticed that the irregularity was just another person in a space suit, on the surface.
Whoever it was, it was holding one of the new cameras adapted for outer space work, large and bulky, so it could be operated by the suit’s thick fingered gloves.
“Odd…” You don't need quotes if the character is just thinking it, you can just do - Odd, he thought as he checked the records and couldn’t find anybody scheduled for outer vehicular work that day except for himself. He maneuvered the small surveillance craft closer to the figure and donned his own suit’s helmet and tether before depressurizing the cabin and exiting. Whoever it was, it did not answer any radio calls.
He walked slowly over the surface of the ship, his magboots holding him in place securely. The other person did not seem to notice him as he came close and placed a gloved hand on its shoulder. That did the trick however as the stranger visibly jumped, startled. Adding 'startled' isn't needed. You did it just fine with the jumping alone That at least alleviated Bryan’s fear that it may be just another tourist that had wondered (wandered) from some tour and hyperventilated himself into a in-suit faint. The visor was covered with the antiglare filter and he couldn’t see who was inside.
“Are you ok in there?” he asked as he touched his helmet to the other’s. A few moments’ pause and the answer came, a woman’s voice.
“You’re not supposed to be out here.” He continued what did the woman say?, while checking if there were any problems with her suit. She had her radio turned off, but nothing else came on the readings.
“You startled me…” came the answercomma“and I’m not doing anything wrong.”
“Miss, you are not scheduled to be out here. It’s very dangerous for yourself to have gone out without any you can get rid of 'any' unless there are a lot of different clearances proper clearance.” Now he was certain it was just another adventurous tourist that had slipped out some unguarded bulkhead. The camera trained on Earth should have been his first clue.
“But…it’s so beautiful. Don’t you agree?” She gestured in a slow arc towards the bright planet bellow. “Why must people abandon it for this black abyss?” She had a soft voice, almost pleadingcommaeven through the helmets.
“I don’t know about that miss, but please come with me.”
She left (let) herself be tethered to him and be guided to the vehicle. Bryan noticed she at least had the presence of mind to don a suit equipped with magboots. It didn’t look like the new, fancy ones that the tourists kept bringing up with them, but rather very much like a station one. He’d have to enquire (inquire) about that.
He signed out of the maintenance shift and called in Johan to replace him as he took care of his straggler. As the vehicle docked he found out her name was Naomi and she was on a paid station tour, financed by one of the media conglomerates that kept buying advertisement space there. How did he find out? Some kind of ID? Or did she tell him?
“I hate it here.” she confessed, as they were helping one another out of the suits. “Man should stay where he’s been put, not wander these Godless places.” Bryan couldn’t remember the last time he’d met a religious person, much less around the station and was surprised that there were people that felt that way about space exploration, especially after all the good that had come from it.
“Man’s curious by his born nature miss Naomi. And my superior will be curious as to why you were out there. I’ll need you to fill in these forms.” He slipped a couple of documents with a pen attached towards her.
She read them for a moment and then handed them back. “Could we please not do this? I wasn’t hurting anyone.” She watched him with big, dark eyes, looking suddenly shy. “I merely wanted to see the Earth without being ever rushed by that horrible guide.”
Bryan felt like insisting but he had had enough to think about for one day and didn’t much feel like writing reports for one romantic, religious nut. “Just don’t do it again please.” He made a mental note to check up on how she actually got hold of a station space suit…but that was quite simple for anyone with a bit of cashcommareally.
“Would you join me for lunch?” Her question was sudden and took him by surprise I see that it was sudden, but it might be better to show his reaction instead of just telling it as they floated out of the maintenance offices. “I’d like to treat you for being such a gentleman about this. I really did not intend to cause anyone any trouble.”

It turned out that Naomi would be on the station for a week more and they met again. By happenstance at first, then on lunch and a simile of dates; Bryan found himself endeared to the dark haired, dark eyed short Asian girl. She was perhaps too slim and had a figure too girlish for his tastes, but he nonetheless enjoyed her company, especially as she kept asking to be shown around. For someone that hated it up there as much as she did, she was awfully curious of everything going on.
It made him feel important for the first time in months as he showed her research wings – “I can’t take you further than Access Level 2”, he confessed to hercomma “which is much further than civilians usually can go. Further there are biological experiments of one nature or another.” – and even recreational areas for the staff and scientists. She was interested in his work and that broke up his routine. In spite of regulations, he even invited her with him on his outer space rounds. She may not have shown much interest in the mind numbing reading of sensor data, but she would spend her time reading in the cramped interior, the light of the world beneath spilling through the small ports.
A week came and went and she didn’t yet leave, much to his relief. On the final day he got the news that she’d be staying a week longer, having informed her employers that she needed a bit more time to finish her assignment. They apparently were more than happy to oblige. I would put 'apparently' either at the very beginning or very end of the sentence. It breaks things up in a weird way in the middle.
That very same day they became lovers. “Zero G love making is like nothing you’ve ever felt before.” He told her as they half floated, half stumbled towards his small suite, kissing and undressing. I know they got closer to each other, but that came on a little abrupt for me. Maybe something like "That was the day they became lovers"
And it wasn’t.

I like this. A few little bumps but nothing major at all. I would just say to keep an eye on your commas between dialogue and narrative, and go easy on the ellipsis (...) in dialogue since they can get distracting if overused. Overall, a nice little tale that made me want to see it through to the end. Well done.

Cute little story. I'm left sort of wondering what was the point of it, but then I guess that may be it.

1500 word limit to the critiquing pieces... so that leaves the 500 word conclusion out unfortunately. I'd be happy to send you a PM with it if you're interested in how things develop.

Yes, please, I would like that. I must beg your pardon for misunderstanding that was the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Science & Nature 1
J Critiques 8
E General TV Discussion 22