Greg Bear, anyone?

Bick

Luddite Curmudgeon
Supporter
Anyone here like Greg Bear? I've not read any of his before, but I've started Eon, and I'm very much enjoying it. Big ideas, nicely written. Reminds me a little, with regard to style, of Kim Stanley Robinson perhaps. What do you like by him? Or dislike?

I read "Dead Lines" for a horror lit class a few years ago and really enjoyed it. A genuinely frightening premise told really well. The hard sci-fi aspect didn't hurt either.

Thanks for reminding me about him. Have to add some of his stuff to the wishlist.

I've read a few of his books and really like him. The Forge Of God and Anvil Of Stars rang among my top tem favourite reads of all time.

I tried Forge of God but it dragged on for far to long and then put it down. For an alien invasion story there wasn't much about aliens invading and more about the president being an idiot.

I just mentioned Blood Music in another thread. I'd recommend that highly. Darwin's Radio was good, too. And you're reading another of his best, Eon.

I love him. For me he is up there as one of my favourite authors. In fact I am mainly posting in this thread because the question the thread asks, I had to answer.
Amen to you FODDERS, Forge of god was terrific.
I read a title by him a whiles ago, cannot remember what it was but it was about immortality through bioscience and genetic modification on the molecular level... or something like that. It was a fascinating plot and had great characters but I am hopeless sometimes with titles. If it comes to me I will post is post-haste :)

Sorry to double post. While searching for the title of the book I just mentioned previously I found another title by him that I really enjoyed, that has not been mentioned here surprisingly - Strength of Stones. The title I previously mentioned was VITALS.

Last edited:
Yea Ive read a few, none of the Eon books yet tho. Ive read Hegira, an early book of his, and one of his best is Blood Music- a must read book!

Oh and he is writing the novellisations of the HALO games!

Sorry to double post. While searching for the title of the book I just mentioned previously I found another title by him that I really enjoyed, that has not been mentioned here surprisingly - Strength of Stones. The title I previously mentioned was VITALS.

I re read Strength of Stones a while back, its ok.

I read Blood Music some years back and absolutely loved it. I really can't come up with any reason I haven't read any more of his since but I haven't! However I have picked up Eon in a recent assault on a good local secondhand shop, so hope to be reading it shortly.

I read Blood Music some years back and absolutely loved it. I really can't come up with any reason I haven't read any more of his since but I haven't! However I have picked up Eon in a recent assault on a good local secondhand shop, so hope to be reading it shortly.

I have EON and its sequels on my bookshelf but its a big book and I really need to be in a reading mood, with more time, before I can tackle it.

I've read Eon and Eternity (I still have Legacy at home somewhere) but I struggled with them. Queen of Angels was almost impossible for me as it was written in the "slang" of the time it was set in. I didn't finish it.

QoA's my favorite Bear novel. On the other hand, while something could definitely be worse than Slant, you'd have to work at it. ;)

I wonder how many Bear completists there are and how many like everything even so? It seems like it doesn't take long for most people to run into something (or things) they don't like. But, by the same token, I'd guess there are few people who wouldn't really like some Bear book or other.

QoA's my favorite Bear novel. On the other hand, while something could definitely be worse than Slant, you'd have to work at it. ;)

I wonder how many Bear completists there are and how many like everything even so? It seems like it doesn't take long for most people to run into something (or things) they don't like. But, by the same token, I'd guess there are few people who wouldn't really like some Bear book or other.

Yea and thats the trouble isn't it! You discover an author, hate the book he wrote and it puts you off that author! So if someone discovered Bear with Slant they might not pick up another of his books,and that would be a big shame!