An error in Mr. King's book?? ... Good grief!

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by bev mcquain, Aug 4, 2012.

1. bev mcquain

bev mcquain Member

My wife is an avid Stephen King fan. She reads and re-reads every book by the author.
    She has been obsessed by passages in the 'The Drawing of the Three, Dark Tower II, The Prisoner'.
    My spouse is practically a cartographer. She is ever-aware of the direction that she/we are headed, so she can clearly visualise the travels of the hero of the story.

The chapter mentioned above, documents that Roland has been walking West for years, and arrives at the Western Sea.

"He watched the sun come up over the mountain."
    Which way should he walk? "He had come from the east, he could not walk West. That left North and South. North was the answer his heart told. North."
    With "The sea to his right, and the mountains to his left"
    This, and several mentions later, prove to her that the Gunslinger is walking South.

Can someone clear this up, or contact the proofreader and beg him to correct the chapter so she can get on with the series.

Hile Gunslinger!

2. steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

Moved my books to the deep south. I have a loft/li
    Three posibilities: 1) Physical laws as we know it don't apply, 2) He's walking backwards, or 3)there is a mistake in the book.
    Best to just consider this a mistake by the character (momentary disorientation) and move on. If this was a mystery or certain types of Science Fiction where the detail were more critical it might be more important but this has too many Fantasy elements in it. You can probably just let it go.

3. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Being deviant IS my art.

Actually I vote for the "walking backwards" theory. That is thinking outside the box!

4. Christopher Lee

Christopher Lee Formerly BluePhoenix711

Definitely the walking backwards story. What fun an adventure would be never knowing where you're headed! :)

5. Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

And this would be quite poignant in the context of the Dark Tower series....

6. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in fer me

Could be that he thinks he wants to go North, but his feet take him South -- Ka decides.

Or...and I could be misremembering, but I think (it's been a long time since I read the books) I seem to recall that we find out that the world is unravelling in such a way that even the points of the compass are wandering from their usual positions.

Anyway, this thread was brought back at an oddly good time - just earlier I was thinking about the biggest mistake in these books.

SPOILERS

In the Dark Tower, Susannah is distraught next to the terribly wounded Eddie. She's then described as "leaping to her feet". Yeah, if you know the character, you know that that isn't quite possible ;)

7. Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Yes, it should definitely have been "leaping towards her feet".

;):)

8. Christopher Lee

Christopher Lee Formerly BluePhoenix711

Indeed Ursa, quite poignant. :). That's funny she was refered to as leaping to her feet. Too many mean jokes coming to mind. :p

9. biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Mistakes happen in books. Think about it this way, SK has to keep in mind of all the things, characters, setting flow of story etc. just to entertain you and then makes one little mistake and people jump down his throat. That is a bit unfair. Apparently in the Harry Potter books the classrooms are in different parts of Hogwarts in each book.

10. JMGA196

JMGA196 New Member

Remember what the first book said "time does not flow in an orderly fashion. Sometimes, even the sun rises in the north and sets in the east"

11. BigBadBob141

BigBadBob141 Well-Known Member

Oh well, we all make mistakes, to err is human ect.
    I think there was a well known SF author who wrote many years ago about exploring the Moon using a helicopter!

12. Michael Colton

Michael Colton Well-Known Member

Wait, I should stop building my interstellar helicopter? Why did no one tell me earlier?

13. BigBadBob141

BigBadBob141 Well-Known Member

How about the scientist who predicted atomic powered vacuum cleaners.
    Talk about giving you a glowing feeling!

Brian G Turner likes this.
  14. Mister_Oy

Mister_Oy Well-Known Member

This has bugged me for years!

Still - when I mentally picture Roland walking along the beach I have the sea to his left!