From Way, Way Back in Your Reading Life

H. G. Wells last month. Now let me tell you, that guy was much more than War of the Worlds. The Island of Dr. Moreau shocked me even more now than when I was a teenager.

Wells was an amazing storyteller.

One the very best. William hope Hodgson'S The House on the Borderland with its time travel sequence is almost a homage of sorts to The Time Machine

Last edited:
H. G. Wells last month. Now let me tell you, that guy was much more than War of the Worlds. The Island of Dr. Moreau shocked me even more now than when I was a teenager.

There is trilogy of novels you might want to check out

1. Map of the Sky
2. Map of Time
3 . Map Chaos
all three books by Felix Palma

The Martian War by Kevin J. Anderson
War of the Worlds Global Dispatches edited by Kevin J Anderson
The Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter
Morlock Night by K W Jeter
The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter.

Film
War of the Worlds Goliath. And animated steam punk sequel to War of the Worlds

Last edited:
The film
There is trilogy of novels you might want to check out

1. Map of the Sky
2. Map of Time
3 . Map Chaos
all three books by Felix Palma

The Martian War by Kevin J. Anderson
War of the Worlds Global Dispatches edited by Kevin J Anderson
The Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter
Morlock Night by K W Jeter
The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter.

Film
War of the Worlds Goliath. And animated steam punk sequel to War of the World

The film looks cool! I will check it out. Thanks!

The film

The film looks cool! I will check it out. Thanks!

There is another book suggestion I would to make . The Star Rover by Jack London . It's the story of straitjacket death row in mate who divers he can astral project himself into his past lives at will. Its unlike all his other books and it's great book. :cool: It largely unknown to most readers, ot could be called his only fantasy novel. This is a a bookI recommend to everyone . You can find online its entirety on project Gutenberg. :)

E.F Russell Men Martians and Machines
First read it when I was about 12 and it was a good fit. Sort of Dan Dare meets gung ho Heinlein.

Rereading, (not something I do much, I'd rather discover new writers), it was so one dimensional and of its time. If you just want a good old fashioned quasi military space romp without getting in the least bit bogged down with any philosophical thoughts then jump aboard the Upskadaska City with it's mixed Human / Martian crew. Never a dull moment.

There is another book suggestion I would to make . The Star Rover by Jack London . It's the story of straitjacket death row in mate who divers he can astral project himself into his past lives at will. Its unlike all his other books and it's great book. :cool: It largely unknown to most readers, ot could be called his only fantasy novel. This is a a bookI recommend to everyone . You can find online its entirety on project Gutenberg. :)

Jack London has a fantasy book!!! :D I had no idea, and I own several of his books. Great suggestion!

Jack London has a fantasy book!!! :D I had no idea, and I own several of his books. Great suggestion!

I found it quite by accident many years ago. I was reading one the Jeffrey of Lord Blade novels and found a reference to this book. Ive long since forgotten which book it was in the series. That caught my interest immediately. I couldn't find copy of this book or anyone who heard of it. For some reason I neglected to check either a library or a used Bookstores. Then In 1999 I found a new edition of the book at Borders books. ive read more the once and began to recommend it afterwards . Ive been doing so for 20 years now. Of all the books ive ever read, I love this book best of all. :)

I still like Eric Frank Russell and his Jay Score character.

Me, too. And Russell was a bit ahead of his time in a way, dealing with inclusiveness in the form of a robot. Then there were lines like, "He fell at the appalling rate of three (?) vulgar epithets per inch." (As remembered, so probably not exact.) I have Wasp in line as one of my next reads, and I'm leaning toward finally getting to Sinister Barrier, too.

Randy M.

Sinister Barrier is somewhat different in tone from most of his other stuff, but I won't post any spoilers.

I had that impression from other things I've read. And I've read some of his other short fantasy, so I've been curious about SB.

Herewith, a thread where people can write about books that they are rereading, many years after having first read them.

How about others here? Have you recently reread something that goes back a long way for you?

Now about halfway through the book credited to Lester del Rey called Outpost of Jupiter, which I'd read by mid-1968 and was one of the first sf novels I'd read. It's pretty good!

1592838224406.png

"Then for you, way back in your reading life might be 15+ years ago, while for me it'd be more like 30+".

And 70+ for me.

I may have mentioned this one before, 'The Starmen of Lyrdis' by Leigh Brackett.
I remember reading the 1952 Gnome hardback when it came out, and may have the original magazine version (if I could remember which magazine).
Planet Stories, Startling Stories?

I have fond memories of that tale.

Also, 'Bettyann' by Kris Neville (the original novella, not the fix up novel).

'The Ballad of Lost C'Mell', the novella by Paul Linebarger (Cordwainer Smith).

And 'Pattern for Conquest' which I remember fondly, though I don't quite know why. Perhaps because I loved Edd Cartier's art.
4h9yjz8ux0s31.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the ones I've mentioned here, among others.
I also often re-read the Travis McGee novels, the Sackett novels, and everything that Nevil Shute wrote.

If I liked something originally, I still like it. One the other hand, some stuff I didn't like as a kid, I do like now.

Last edited:
The Runaway Robot by del Rey.
The Cremation of Sam McGee by Service.
The Cask of Amontillado by Poe.
To Build a Fire by London.
Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut.

Gonna Roll the Bones by Leiber.
The Past Through Tomorrow by RAH.

The last two lost a little luster over the decades, but the others worked as well as they did the first time.

Last edited:
I'm working my way through my collection of Kuttner and Moore stories. Collections of short stories, Robots Have No Tails, and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and the Fairy Chessmen. Novels and Novellas like Fury, Shambleau, The Dark World, Earth's Last Citadel, Northwest Smith, and Judgement Night among others. Still quality.