AMC's Breaking Bad - The series that was banned in the uk!

I finished watching Breaking Bad yesterday. In the opposite of binge-watching, I dragged it out as long as I could because I like the anticipation of something good and didn't want it to end. I probably still wouldn't have finished it if it wasn't for El Camino - but I didn't want to risk spoilers. I guess I'll be signing up for a Netflix trial soon...

Apart from some ridiculous coincidences in the early series, I can't think how Breaking Bad could have been better. The whole cast was amazing. Apparently, Aaron Paul was supposed to be killed off in the first series, but his performances were so good, he was given a major part. Hector, rather than Fring, was planned to be the main antagonist. The brothers in series 3, who'd never acted before, are two of the best villains I've seen.

Brian Cranston is great.

Yeah Breaking bad is great. Better call Saul is also superb. Well, the first season is just good and then it improves.

I rewatched the whole series, skipping slightly on just couple of episodes as I couldn't take the drama in Mr White's family. There are places, where it's just a bit too much, but I was surprised how well it still works. The whole story is well structured, and there are many points, where you expect the story to go other way. That Walt would find the salvation, and maybe see the light at the end of the tunnel, just like Mike and Jesse did, but his obsession was the money. To the end.

The El Camino movie fits the story, and there are two problems with it. The age of actors, and the fact that we never know if Walt Jr ever received Walt's money through the Gray Matter. The actor age was bigger problem for me personally, and having watched the TV movie straight after the series, it really shows. But if you let them slide, the movie fills all the caps and gives Jesse Disney ending. "A fresh start many of us doesn't get."

It is a fine ending for the series, but taken that Better Call Saul is still running, I hope they'll give same treatment. I especially would love to know things that doesn't fit the picture, like why Saul is so afraid of revealing Gus to Walt in the series, even though he know "the Chicken Man" is in the meth business. He doesn't even reveal the Gustavo family connection to Walt and Jesse.

Overall, I think Breaking Bad is a timeless classic. You can watch it multiple times and it entertains, especially during the lockdown period, with hard SF tied to a hardboiled crime noir.

I can only wonder why it was banned in the Britain. Well, when I say banned, it was slotted after twelve a o'clock.

When I was a child, more adult themed shows (i.e. sex and violence) came on after I went to bed. Of course there were only three channels in the U.S. I don't know if the FCC or the Censors made the networks do this or if it was just conscientious behavior on their part . Was Breaking Bad put on after midnight to help keep it from innocent eyes?

It's amazing and I can only wonder why it was banned in the Britain. Well, when I say banned, it was slotted after twelve a o'clock. But think about it, I have just recently watched all four season and I'm now catching up on fifth in the multiple Emmy series, and I have to say it's truly wonderful.

If you watch it one after another style, you quickly develop how deeply written character Wally really is, while the pacing in the story keep amazingly high. What makes him extraordinarily interesting is that he's deeply developed as a misunderstood, gone-bad scientist.

When I say gone-bad, he's an anti-hero. A true hero. And what he does is considered evil in our society. The Authorities doesn't want to talk about it, as it's a banned subject in our civilization.

But when you get it, you'll see that none of the character-driven stories. you have previously seen is as good as this is.

Not even the infamous AMC's the Walking Dead.

And in my opinion that's quite much of saying. Because the Walking Dead is brilliant. :)
I suspect the reason why the BBC would reject that amazing piece of drama is because it offers to many insights into the creation of crystal meth. Not that you can't find the recipe online.

Reactions: ctg
Was Breaking Bad put on after midnight to help keep it from innocent eyes?

Yeah, in those late night, never watch slots. But there is also strange feature in the sky channels where you cannot get complete series. Meaning they sometimes come out with episodes missing. And with the case of Breaking Bad it sours the mood.

I started watching Breaking Bad recently and have marathoned the first two seasons. I usually focus so much on sci fi or fantasy that I ignore anything else out there, and crime fiction has never interested me. But I've been lying around recovering from surgery the last few weeks, and have nothing better to do than read and watch TV. I stumbled upon this on Netflix when I wanted to try something new for a change, and I think it is one of the best TV shows I've seen.

One of the more unusual things about Breaking Bad is that I do not particularly like or relate to any of the characters. There is no "hero" to root for. But they are all complex, believable people with varying positive and negative attributes, and I find myself interested in what each will do next. It's a good psychological study. This show has so many turns, foils, and subplots that it maintains my interest.

You could argue some of the police/DEA are heroes. Hank! Though too much success for Hank could have ended the show in season 1 :D

Reactions: ctg
Hank is definately one of the more ethical characters in that he is truly clean, leading a completely legal life. But he has an abrasive personality, frequently making racist and sexist "jokes". I find him dislikeable, and people like him intimidate me.

I don't mean to sound too harsh on Hank. He isn't the one running an illegal business which involves murdering people who get in his way and making his entire life a lie.

I understand why Hank didn't suspect Walt. People are often partial to family. Hank has known Walt as a mild-mannered goody-two-shoes for many years. Walt didn't fit Hank's "profile" of a drug lord.

Yep the characters are so good in this series. By good I mean well acted and interesting. Gus is quite likeable to an extent.

Hanks partner is perhaps even of more a stand up fella. But a side character of course.