Recluce saga (LE Modesitt Jr.)

Nerds_feather

Purveyor of Nerdliness
Follow the blog on twitter: @nerds_feather Like u
anyone a fan? i read the magic of recluce a good 15-20 years ago and remember loving it, but never tackled any of the others.

if i were to read them now, would you recommend reading them in the order they were published, or the internal chronological order?

I'm a fan of the Recluce books (I think there are a few other threads floating around on the subject).

I've read most of them, in fact I'm reading one at the moment. I always find them easy to read, and immensely enjoyable. With that being said I'm more than happy to recommend them, and would recommend reading them in order. The first five books are magnificent, the last one tying nicely to the first, delivering a climax that some books miss.

Since then I keep thinking that Modesitt is starting to stretch his universe, but each time I read the next novel I find it thoroughly enjoyable.

Ooops, I meant the order they were published in.

It sort of works that way.

Just bought myself the first book on my Kindle. The writing is easy and flows nicely. Characters seem pretty well fleshed out so far. I only started it last night.

Another big Modesitt fan here. He remains one of my guilty pleasures, even though there can be a perceived sameness to many of the book plots (young man going off to learn how he fits into the Order vs. Chaos system). Most of the Recluce books are grouped into specific time periods centered around the founding of Recluce (Towers of the Sunset) and occur across several different continents. I think Modesitt himself recommends reading them in publication order, though I've jumped around the chronology sequence a bit and didn't detect any problems with continuity (I think that, as long as the grouped books are read in order, this can be done easily). Enjoy!

Btw, today all of the Recluce ebooks (excepting the most recent) are available for $2.99 each on Amazon US. This would be a good opportunity for anyone interested in trying out the series to pick up some of the ebooks at a reduced price.