New Advertisments - My Imagination?

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
There have been others before now (back in May 2011 there were some for... ahem... dating agencies, among other things) but these particular ones only arrived a few days ago.

stevietee

What was I thinking?
Not so intrusive as to warrant adblock; hardly notice them as it is and there was an interesting banner ad for some books I ended up adding to my amazon wishlist the other day. Not all ads are bad and the chrons is a valuable and popular resource, no harm in it making some money in order to keep it going.

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
I thought I was imagining things, too! Actually, my first thought was that I had lost my cookies (not as bad as tossing them), so I went to log in again and discovered I wasn't logged out.

I certainly have nothing against the site making money, as I would be lost without it, but I'd be willing to donate money to make the ads go away. With my laptop (=home computer), it's a pain to have to scroll down just to reach the "view first unread" button.

No, I do remember ad banners at the top before, unfortunately for Chrons I do use an adblock because I like to be on Youtube a lot. Now THEIR ads are intrusive.

I've never actually clicked on any of Chron's ads intentionally in the past as they've never really held much interest for me-and because I never have money to spend. :eek:

HareBrain

Bunny of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I clicked on the ad for the range of books titled Spook's, but only because I couldn't believe a genuine publisher would commit a greengrocer's apostrophe. Fortunately for my blood pressure, it turned out to be a genuine possessive.

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
I don't mind them, despite occasionally hitting them and ending up somewhere very strange, but the one that keeps telling me three people have unfriended me seems to go very much against the culture of the Chrons. (Cue at least 20 people unfriending me in a sniggering fashion :p :D )

It also sucks us into the whole "social media rules" attitude which always makes me slightly edgy. Who selects the ads; the Chrons or an outside entity? Am I the only one who doesn't like that sort of one and finds it quite aggressive?

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
I actually raised this one in the Staff Room the other day, as I was afraid it might be harbouring malware if people clicked on it. Brian confirmed
IT's an ad for a Facebook app running through Google Adsense. I clicked through it not knowing it was an ad on another site, and there was no warning from my anti-virus, so it seems clean.
I don't like it, since I think it promotes too much anxiety in those who are Facebook-desperate, but, no, it's not Brian who chooses them -- we get what we're given.

Mouse

ejtett.weebly.com
Wondered what everyone was talking about! I have adblock home here (sorry, Brian, but I don't click ads anyway), but I don't have it at work so see the ads there. Saw the FB one, ignored it.

HareBrain

Bunny of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, I thought that meant three Chronnites had unfriended me. That's a bit embarrassing, because the needlessly complex revenge scheme I set in motion cannot now be stopped ...

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Single best way to kill chronicles. We earn money on ads being displayed as well as clicks.

The ads don't earn enough to live on, but they do earn enough to help pay for a server. So even if my business goes down the tubes (it's limping along at present), chronicles should be able to keep running.

But not if too many people use adblock.

Abernovo

Supporter
I do occasionally click on the ads. One of them was actually quite useful. :)

That said, a recurring one is for hiring private corporate jets! Huh, somebody has sure got that demographic wrong, in my case - I'm not sure I could afford to hire a bicycle this month! :D

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
The corset one is kind of fun.
I'm glad to see not all of the adverts are a... er... waste of space.

(I thought the the one about being unfriended by three people was Boneman's revenge on the mods for not giving him three votes per 75-word challenge poll. Seems I was wrong.)

jastius

life is an awfully big adventure
brian is the weblinks site one of them? that is the orange deelyboop connection being posted EVERYWHERE..
keeps asking me to work for [blood sucking] amazon.. .. wug?
i do not sell my soul so cheaply brian..( just bought the thing back after all..)

do you really want us to start working for amazon?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I actually removed all the adverts last week - whatever you're getting is almost certainly malware installed on your computer.