Richard Morgan and and …?

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
I've said before, I've always loved sci-fi more than fantasy, but generally I find it easy to find fantasy I like.

I'm reading Richard Morgan's Black Man now. Thanks to those who suggested I give Morgan another try, after hating Broken Angels.

I can't praise Black Man enough. It's re-kindled my passion for sci-fi. In lots of ways it's my ideal novel – the noir, gritty setting that impacts upon the characters without entirely removing the glimmer of something noble inside them; the religion and politics; the action-oriented elements.

Anyway, at the top of my to-read pile I now have Woken Furies, together with Ian McDonald's The Dervish House** and Ken Macleod's The Night Sessions and Kameron Hurley's God's War.
(**I previously tried Brasyl but gave up because at the time I found the slang Portuguese too much.)

Plenty to keep me busy, but any suggestions re. what else I could try? I do like the way Morgan throws in plenty of manly action heroics, so anything with a bit of that is always welcome. I'm not sure I'll be so keen on Ian McDonald just because I don't get the impression that he's action-oriented.

Coragem.

You might try Leviathan Wakes, it blends noir and space opera really well. Not as gritty as Morgan, but it's definitely there.

I'd second Neal Asher (The Spatterjay trilogy or the Technition were both great reads.) I'd also like to throw in Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghost series or Titanicus. I know that they're Warhammer 40k books, but don't under estimate Dan's writing ability. They're real page turners in my opinion.

Anyway, at the top of my to-read pile I now have Woken Furies, together with Ian McDonald's The Dervish House** and Ken Macleod's The Night Sessions and Kameron Hurley's God's War.
(**I previously tried Brasyl but gave up because at the time I found the slang Portuguese too much.)

Plenty to keep me busy, but any suggestions re. what else I could try? I do like the way Morgan throws in plenty of manly action heroics, so anything with a bit of that is always welcome. I'm not sure I'll be so keen on Ian McDonald just because I don't get the impression that he's action-oriented.

I wouldn't say that either McDonald or Macleod are action oriented, I like both authors but they don't have as many action scenes as Morgan does.

Iain M Banks' books vary in terms of how much action they have, but there is plenty of action in Use of Weapons or Consider Phlebas or Against a Dark Background.