Looking for a short story or novella

Riselka

water spirit
I'm not sure whether this short story would fit the length of a novella, or whether it would be considered a short story. It's what I would call Suspense or Horror, definitely not Sci Fi or Fantasy.

I heard it read on the radio many years ago, and it left quite an impression on me, but the details I can remember are now rather faded ...

The character narrating has heard about some very impressive statuary of people done by a reclusive artist, and has been granted a viewing of said statuary. His description of what he sees leaves one to feel that it is some of the most realistic statuary ever created.

It is only at the end when both the narrator and reader learn that what has been created is not actually statuary, but real human beings that have been preserved by taxidermy.

I did not hear this tale from the very beginning when it was aired on the radio, so I have no idea what the title was, or who the author was.

"House of Wax" is a movie starring (in the original) Vincent Price who had a wax museum populated by wax-coated people...

There was an earlier movie, "Mystery of the Wax Museum," with a similar plot.

Maybe there was a radio play of one of the movies...

--Paul E Musselman

And then there was also Carry on Screaming ;) :)

Also, not to be confused with House of Wax made in 2005 starring Paris Hilton. :rolleyes:

According to http://www.fandango.com/charless.belden/overview/p81247 American author Charles Spencer Belden was the man responsible for the three-act play The Mystery of the Wax Museum, which was never produced in New York but was the basis for the two films mentioned by PaulMmn. Most likely you heard a radio adaptation.

Thanks guys!

But, this was definitely not about wax sculptures - they were either stonework, or plasterwork sculptures. For that reason, I've already ruled out The Waxwork, by A.M. Burrage as a possibility.

http://www.scaryforkids.com/waxwork/