Discussion -- 300 Word Challenge #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind review, Perp. :)

(And thanks for all those reviews - for 75-worders and 300-worders - that I haven't, until now, thanked you for. :eek:)

I second this!

Better get cracking, mosaix -- 30 minutes and counting!

I posted mine from NeoOffice through Safari, which worked fine as it has in the past. It's the IE9 that makes mine crazy with lack of spaces and extra returns.

I only had three votes (needed so many more!), so I voted for:

Springs – for making something beautiful out of such a terrible moment in history.

Flugel Meister – for casting a troll in the role of Prometheus.

Hex – for giving memories.

Thanks for the review, Perp, although it has me worried now that I should have given my protagonist and (kinda) antagonists more distinct titles...

Thanks for the review! I had fun with leading up to that twist in the end. Glad you had fun reading it too. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Thank you very, very much, Karn! :)

I've only read Chrispy's and Boneman's so I'll have a good read through of them all later.

DEO, thankyou so much.

I read these over the last day or two - checked in for any late ones this morning (phew, Mosaix, you cut it fine...)

Terrifically hard to choose:

My long - list:

Paranoid Marvin - I think it was a little Ken Dodd inspired (Jam butty mines, I seem to remember those) and made me groan as well as giggle
Flugel Meister.
Abernovo
Mouse, I loved the limerick.
Crystal Haven

Short-list
I had these five to toss up for the votes

DEO - who doesn't love a good zombie tale, and this was an excellent zombie tale
HEX - I love the bitter sweetness of the ending
GLEN - lovely balance, I really liked the last line
BREV - terrific energy, nice twist
RJ DANDO - this one was lovely, and kick came at just the right moment.

In the end I went for Glen, RJ Dando and my favorite of them all, Hex's, and wished I'd had five votes. :)

Good grief, I don't even have an entry in this one and I still get anxiety pangs when I read the shortlists. I think I might need to check myself in somewhere.

DEO, thankyou so much.

I read these over the last day or two - checked in for any late ones this morning (phew, Mosaix, you cut it fine...)

Terrifically hard to choose:

My long - list:

Paranoid Marvin - I think it was a little Ken Dodd inspired (Jam butty mines, I seem to remember those) and made me groan as well as giggle
Flugel Meister.
Abernovo
Mouse, I loved the limerick.
Crystal Haven

Short-list
I had these five to toss up for the votes

DEO - who doesn't love a good zombie tale, and this was an excellent zombie tale
HEX - I love the bitter sweetness of the ending
GLEN - lovely balance, I really liked the last line
BREV - terrific energy, nice twist
RJ DANDO - this one was lovely, and kick came at just the right moment.

In the end I went for Glen, RJ Dando and my favorite of them all, Hex's, and wished I'd had five votes. :)

Alas, my zombies did not shamble across the finishing line quickly enough. Note to self: need faster zombies. :)

You want a list of their names?

Well, I heard that there's a phial of them, somewhere.

Ooh wow - thank you Springs, a vote! *beams*

Right...lots of reading to catch up on now. What better to do during a lunch break?!

Oookay, caught up with my reading.

Short list:

DEO
Reiver33
Hex
Grimbear
kiffinyjean
Boneman

And my votes go to:

Hex
Grimbear
Reiver33

Great stories all round - looking forward to the next one!

Ok, such great stories! Was really rather hard for me to choose...so, in order of appearance:

Longlist
DthenB
stevietee
Brev
JoanDrake

Shortlist
johnnyjet
kiffinyjean
mosaix

Votes
Paranoid Marvin - now this made me smile from amusement, a hard thing to do...
Hex - Such a wonderful idea, sweetly despairing, and the ending is perfect...
Karn - Like I probably said earlier, I love last lines, and this one was glorious, so many interpretations on how it can be said, just brilliant

And a special mention to DEO - industrial necromancy - just outstanding! I actually burst out laughing from that one line...

Tough choice for me, I had my final four for ages; trying to decide who to give my last vote to was an absolute nightmare...

Good stories all around, a lot of dark and gloomy stuff!

Here is my shortlist

Springs
rc grant
perpetual man
hex
the spurring platty

Votes go to

Teresa Beautiful story
Johnnyjet I wanted to keep reading this one, loved the idea
Kiffinyjean Loved it, very funny...cyclops eyeballing you that way is never good

Many excellent stories this month, not just those below.

My runners up were AllMyWires, Grimbear, Mouse and Stormcrow. Mouse only just missed out on top three with her funny, breezy and word-perfect little tale, and I loved Stormcrow's evocative peek into a by-now-vanished world, which reminded me a little of BB's Little Grey Men.

My votes:

Teresa: stunning story, and superlative writing. Every aspiring writer here should look hard at this one.

Hex: *sob*.

The Judge: *sob* too, if not quite so much, and written with authority and with something to say.

Hex has asked me to say that she is incandescent with delight for all the votes and mentions, and will say so when she gets back. As she's also in a forest, the incandesence worries me, but I have done my duty... :)

Ps, and thanks Ratsy for the shortlist. From me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.