Discussion -- 75 Word Challenge -- July

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I may have failed somewhat in the way of considering the genre of myth/legend. I did hold the stories to the standard of using justice and myth/legend, thus leaving out a couple of good ones that I liked otherwise, but I'm not sure that all my favorites are properly in the genre. And for that matter, neither is my own.

I don't know, TDZ. Because yours was a fairy tale reference (it was, wasn't it?), I thought of it as in the folk legend area. Perhaps skirting the genre, but close enough for me to feel it touched it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have voted for it.

As to the tie-breaker, I opted for Rc Grant. Despite that, I keep humming some song about dragons (earworm!). Thanks a lot, alc!!! ;):p

Congratulations to our three finalists, as two of them made my final shortlist I feel there is a hard decision to be made!

It was a hard decision but in the end I went for Al, his words just worked so well

Congratulations to our three finalists, as two of them made my final shortlist I feel there is a hard decision to be made!

It was a hard decision but in the end I went for Al, his words just worked so well

Indeed they did. I love Puff the Magic Dragon-and I'm not ashamed to admit it-and his was a great parody of it. The overall surface atmosphere spoke slightly of humor but as with the original, the uplifting sacrifice took it home. Sad, but knowing that it was not in vain, and being immortalized amongst his kind added that last glimmer of light.

See, why do I always come up with this crap when I'm half asleep? :confused: There should be a rule stating that Karn may not post after eleven P.M. Pacific Standard time. (I certainly hope there won't be. :D)

Imagine how much fun we'd miss if we all did that. :)
Mosaix, Hex - who is buried in a forest somewhere where the trees don't have wifi - has woken the inhabitants with her shouting - she says thanks for the vote.

Oh wow, another vote! Thank you, Ursa - most unexpected! *glee*

Right, off to the tiebreaker...

Holy crap, was I surprised when I woke up this morning! Thank you to everyone who voted for me, I really appreciate it.

Now, I'd better go and re-read the other two so I can cast my decider vote! :)

I have this little voice at the back of my mind telling me that we use the tie to hang the last person to vote for one of the two winners of the tiebreaker poll.

(So we seem to have moved from Hip-Hop to Swing.... :rolleyes: I hope Gary doesn't mind.)

I'm voting for you this time, guv:eek:

RcG - You have my vote again. This is such a tightly-written story - lovely stuff. Well done for making it through to the tie-break!:)

HB - Can't really expand on what I said before (15/07?). Polyrhythmic brilliance! Still love this one.

Alc - I shall be singing this one in my head for a long time - possibly aloud too!

Good luck to all three of you!

Well, with RcGrant and Harebrain both on my shortlist, it was a choice between them, although looking at all three in isolation, I can see Alc's certainly deserved to be there. Well done all three for being winners this month, but since there can be only one (has Highlander ever been involved in a tie-break?;)) I was forced to choose, damnit.

RcG's clever use of childhood innocence and adult knowledge was wonderful. I hate rap, (should always be prefaced by the letter "c"...) but for a writing challenge, combining (urban) myth and legend, and for sheer inventiveness it pipped RcG for my vote.

Oh, now I understand all those comments about rap. Good heavens, a few accidentally rhyming words in my story and everyone thinks I'm writing in the style of some low-slung-trousered hoodlum.

Alc gets my vote for being nostalgic and fun, though I liked Rc Grant's too.

Congratulations to all three finalists, and to everyone else that entered this month. Wish I could have taken part, but alas, not be.

So sorry that I didn't vote in the first round. A spare few hours just couldn't be found over the last few days - except for Friday night, and I spent those watching a rather amusing and fantastic little ceremony.

At least I could take part in the tiebreaker, and have voted for Alc -I'm going to be sing that song for the next few hours at least!

Oh, now I understand all those comments about rap. Good heavens, a few accidentally rhyming words in my story and everyone thinks I'm writing in the style of some low-slung-trousered hoodlum.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who didn't see it as a rap then.

Like SF, I'm late to the voting, but I managed to get one in. Hearty congratulations to all three, delightful stories all.

You mean it wasn't rap?

Can I have my vote back?:D

Only joking - I'm sticking with you for the tiebreak.

Last edited:
Phyrebrat - Thanks so much for your vote and such a neat summary - there's not much I can add to that! I'm glad you enjoyed my piece!!

Starbeast - Thanks to you also for the 'listing!

What Stormcrow said- thanks Phyrebrat!

So: re read them all, and there were so many I wanted to include, that I had to be hard and look for the legend bit, which ruled a few out. Here's my list, shortlist, finalists and *winner*
reiver 33
RcGrant
Teresa
Crystal Haven
Vertigo
Memory tale
Glen
Perpetual Man
Harebrain
Stillearning
*Ursa Major*
High Eight (so close!! That Vincent...)
Mosaix

Congrats Ursa!! And congrats to everyone - what a fantastic month, as always. How do we do it??:eek:

Thanks Boneman and RcGrant for the mentions.

And MUCHO thanks to HareBrain for the vote.

And, btw, if anyone is interested - my story was inspired by a line in Richard Thompson's song 1952 Vincent Black Lightning where it is suggested that the Vincent motorbike has a soul. The owner of the bike in the song is a robber who is shot by the police (and taken to his afterlife by modern-day Valkyries riding Aerials).

I just thought "What if some of the owner's morality (or, rather, lack of) rubbed off on his vehicle?" and it all fell into place.

Oh, and I would recommend the song to anybody. It is a real modern highwayman ballad, brilliantly written and played.

My vote goes to HareBrain.

Thank you to Boneman for including my story on the list of finalists. Also to Vertigo, and RcGrant, for the mention on the shortlists.

The stories in the challenge are so good, it is great just to get a mention. :)

I feel really bad for missing the first poll. I don't know who I would have voted for in the end, as I never had a chance to narrow down my longlist.

I voted RcGrant for the tiebreak, as I enjoyed the comparison between fairty tales and real life as well as the implied sins of the Father.

It's even worse to think of that being done by accident. We might be afraid it's either incurable, or --worse-- contagious, if we had to contemplate the idea that you didn't mean to do it.

Hmmm so I said I'd have a go at explaining mine - not that there's a whole lot to explain. I knew it wasn't written as a myth, but it was a little personal one, and while I tried a couple of others, I kept coming back to this, with no expectation other than saying something that mattered to me.
The myth was the Red hand of Ulster, which tells the story of two people who are swimming with the understanding that whoever touched the land with their hand first won it. One, realising he was losing, cut his hand off and threw it at the land, thereby winning in a fairly bloody fashion.
The unusual thing with this myth is that on the Ulster flag we have a St. George's flag with a red hand at the centre of it, so the myth has become a part of accepted and official symbolism.
But, it being July in Ulster there's a lot of stating of political positions, marches, bonfires, and whatnot and the flag was all around when the challenge came up and the three became an irresistable combination.
The statement at the end was a personal statement, that like many whose country is in conflict I find it grievous, and frustrating, but in choosing the hand as our symbol there is an acceptance of a fairly bloody myth, and we have a difficult heritage.
So I think what I was trying to say (and I'm still not quite sure, and expect something longer might come out of me at some point and try to say it better) was that a culture that was espoused in the myth, and the way it's still celebrated (and I love the myth, it's great) is like a ribbon that runs through our history.

In, um, 75 words. So that was ambitious.

But all the mentions, and the vote, and Perp's comments seemed to indicate I got something of my personal sadness about my land across. I kind of hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.