Ranking Kurt Vonnegut's novels

I would perhaps put God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater higher. But maybe that's because I just read it a week ago and it's still quite fresh on my mind.
I'm sure many people here know about this, but Vonnegut once rated his own novels:

• Player Piano B
  • The Sirens of Titan: A
  • Mother Night: A
  • Cat's Cradle: A-plus
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
  • Slaughterhouse-Five: A-plus
  • Welcome to the Monkey House: B-minus
  • Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
  • Breakfast of Champions: C
  • Slapstick: D
  • Jailbird: A
  • Palm Sunday: C

I'm sure many people here know about this, but Vonnegut once rated his own novels:

• Player Piano B
  • The Sirens of Titan: A
  • Mother Night: A
  • Cat's Cradle: A-plus
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
  • Slaughterhouse-Five: A-plus
  • Welcome to the Monkey House: B-minus
  • Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
  • Breakfast of Champions: C
  • Slapstick: D
  • Jailbird: A
  • Palm Sunday: C

I didn't - thanks for that information. That's pretty amazing self-awareness - he graded his children! And got it about right. I might completely change my opinions if I re-read them because it's been a long time but the grades for his first six novels look reasonable. He seems a little harsh on Breakfast. The only others I've read (if memory serves) were Deadeye Dick and Galapagos which he wrote after he gave out grades. I'd probably give Deadeye a C- and Galapagos a D. Maybe that's a little harsh, too, but my point is that they aren't as good as the earlier ones.

I agree with his harsh rating of "Breakfast of Champions." I remember reading it and being very worried that he was about to commit suicide. I'd had a suicide in the family, and Vonnegut was like family to me.

I'd move up God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and Jailbird up in Nerds_feather's list; and yes, the old man himself's ranking is about right (except Happy Birthday, Wanda June which I haven't read).

I've only read "Sirens of Titan" and "Slaughterhouse 5" and I can only agree that the latter was better than the former.

Not much more useful to add until I get around to reading more of his novels. I have "Cat's Cradle" lined up to read next...

Good to know he thought highly of Sirens of Titan its the only Vonnegut book i have ever bought, got it a second hand because his name only and there were no other famous book of his.

I would have to rank Sirens of Titan no 1. The absurdity is perhaps on a slighltly grander scale than Slaughterhouse 5, but I thin sl5 to be the most significant of his work.

I have given out countless copies of Cat's Cradle, especially back in the day when you could buy them by the armful at any used book store. There was a time that I would, with a straight face, tell people who asked my religion that I was a Bokononist. Maybe explain that it was from the island of San Lorenzo and perhaps a few basic concepts.

I still recall the outcry, "So you're saying I could kill you right now and it would be God's will!?" "Well, yes. And the police could kick down the door and haul you to prison for the rest of your life and that, too, would be God's will." Good times.

I'm rather embarrassed to say that i've not read any of Vonnegut's books, (although i did watch the Slaughterhouse 5 movie).

I shall try and address this later in the year.

I'm rather embarrassed to say that i've not read any of Vonnegut's books, (although i did watch the Slaughterhouse 5 movie).

I shall try and address this later in the year.
Start with Cat's Cradle, and The Sirens of Titan.