Prometheus (2012) - your opinions *No spoilers*

My rational mind hates it, but the rest of me wants to keep watching it over and over again…so who knows what's really going on upstairs? The Alien franchise is probably my favorite (and I can find merit in each installment) which might be why I can overlook things like the screaming punk-rock geologist. Not saying it isn't hard, just that it's possible.

There were a few things that were just bafflingly stupid in terms of logic. If those handful of things were either fixed or omitted, it wouldn't have gotten nearly the amount of hate that it got.

That being said, I enjoyed it when I first saw it. The cast is mostly good and I had fun, but I'd probably only watch the Michael Fassbender/Charlize Theron/Idris Elba scenes again and skip the rest.

I saw it in the theater and left scratching my head. Managed to snag a DVD for cheap and watched it again recently. I was able to follow it more easily, but it still had me scratching my head. Hoping for a decent sequel because I know I'll be compelled to go see it.:eek:

Prometheus concept was fine for me. I agree with what others have said. too much going on and to fit in to the story so it ends up with shallow characters and their odd decisions. but I've seen it twice and enjoyed it both times.

was nice to see a few questions answered ,but i can understand if they have not seen the other movies why they might not like it

The Alien franchise is also one of my favourites, despite the problems with Alien 3 and, especially, Alien Resurrection. A friend of mine sent me a youtube link for the Prometheus trailer and I watched it without knowing what the film was about.

The moment I figured out that it was connected to the Alien universe and was being directed by Ridley Scott, I was super excited, to say the least. I kept imagining the great things he was going to do with this film like he had done with Alien.

I was even ready for it to not be as good as Alien but good enough to be close. I hardly go to the cinemas these days but went excitedly with a friend...and felt greatly let down. Yes, the special effects were great, but the mood and atmosphere and the characters were nothing like what I would have expected from Scott. I could have tried to live with the poor characterisation, but even the script and plot were weak.

Only Michael Fassbender's played his role very well, otherwise there was nothing memorable.

A huge disappointment.

I think it's a quality addition to the franchise, much better than Alien: Ressurrection, but not a 'great' film.

I thought the plot and presentation were quite brilliant actually, really well-thought through and with the courage to be itself. The only thing I feel lets the film down and removes any charm is that you care about very few of the characters. In that sense we see that one of Alien's key achievements is completely absent, and it stops it becoming a great film.

Trying too hard.

Plus some truly scream out loud at character stupidity moments.

Hmmm. Some of the things about Prometheus really irked me in a way Aliens did not. I must watch A2 again.

Hmmm. Some of the things about Prometheus really irked me in a way Aliens did not. I must watch A2 again.

Perhaps because the soldiers in Aliens were tongue in cheek, whereas Prometheus definitely wasn't.

It's a weird jumble, in some ways almost completely meaningless and contradictory. Basically, a number of good scenes threaded together with not much logic. Lowlights include the two scientists trying to make friends with cobra-willy (it's not friendly, and the clue's in the name), the blonde lady doing quite a good impersonation of Helga from 'Allo, 'Allo, and the sheer lack of sense of some of it. It confirms my suspicion that Ridley Scott makes some of his films with the volume turned down.

But - this is a big but (and I cannot lie) - it at least tried to do something different. It was at least an attempt at something other than Space Monsters vs The Marines which we see over and over again, each time more woodenly and stupidly portrayed than the last. It actually did make me think. I didn't think very much, and I didn't conclude that it was a brilliant film, but in the land of the total idiot, the half-brained man is king. That's probably as much a reflection on the poor state of things than any particular greatness in this film.

Killed the suspense, forced the mystery so hard that it left great swathes of annoyingly unanswered questions so much so that I really can't figure out what the whole point of the film was.

What really gets my goat is what they did to the space jockeys. They went from majestically sinister, gargantuan, alien, mystery creatures that are almost entirely unrelatable to humans (what made it so creepy and intriguing to me in the first place) to contrived space gods who look exactly like pale humans, who made us all and now want to kill us for no real good reason.

They not only killed the idea of space jockeys for me, they hung drawed and quartered them before burning their ashes an pulverising them to nothing. It actually boggles my mind that someone would ok such a mundane and obvious archetype for the space jockeys, I wanted mystery, intrigue and fear. All I got was slasher flick. What a waste of potential.

Don't even get me started on the alien design. I mean seriously it looks just like a squid / octopus, I mean sure take inspiration from them but my god they look like they just 3d scanned the actual animal before saying "there's our monster guys!"

This film had such little imagination given to their biggest draws that I can't fathom how anybody thought it would be any good at all.

And that's before you even get onto how mind numbing lay stupid the characters are. I just wanted to pull my own head off at how moronic each and every one of them is. A geologist getting lost when he has his own map scanning droids. A biologist who is scared of a dead alien but will gladly touch a living one. TAKING THEIR ******* HELMETS OFF INSIDE AN ALIEN STRUCTURE JUST BECAUSE THE AIR IS 'APPARENTLY' BREATHABLE. For a supposed bunch of scientists they don't seem to have a single brain cell between them.

Tl;dr - the film was a colossal waste of potential, with the future of an awesome alien race forever ruined and characters who are less intelligent than the people who wrote them. Makes sense really.

I didn't hate the movie. It was entertaining enough. However, I did find myself groaning at parts, much like everyone else because of how ridiculously improbable they were. The lady lead would *not* have been capable of so much after what she physically endures. Nope.

I enjoyed Fassbender's acting, and wish that Theron's character had more depth, could have been something more than the predictable. The CGI was good. It is a pity, as Spiegal mentioned, that the 'jockeys' were relegated from awesome, mysterious beings to... well, what they were!

What really gets my goat is what they did to the space jockeys. They went from majestically sinister, gargantuan, alien, mystery creatures that are almost entirely unrelatable to humans (what made it so creepy and intriguing to me in the first place) to contrived space gods who look exactly like pale humans, who made us all and now want to kill us for no real good reason.

In Alien, I saw them as gargantuan, alien, mysterious victims. They had fallen prey, it may be surmised, to their own hubris. In Prometheus, they seem to still be guilty of being overly prideful and also still, ultimately, victims. The mystery remains, even if it is exasperating. :rolleyes:

There were some good ideas but they seem to have been lost somewhere along the line and there was a general sense that sometimes Script A was being filmed and then suddenly Script B before jumping to Script C forgetting that referenced parts of A that were never filmed.

The dumb scientists didn't bother me all that much, I just assumed these weren't even close to the best of the bunch and people who had nothing to lose in a multi year journey on a crackpot theory. Imagine now the quality of scientist you'd get if recruiting for an expedition to find the Holy Grail aliens gave Jesus and in believed to be buried in the Andes? And the Captain running in the wrong direction at the end? Given the circumstances, I can forgive not thinking rationally.

Whilst it was never going to be as good as the hype there is a good film lurking in their, buried by design decissions. Plus 3d gave me one of the worst headaches outside of a homebrew tasting evening.

Prometheus wasn't bad, I enjoyed the 'adventure', the effects etc. I didn't strive to understand the meaning I just put my brain to one side and allowed myself to be absorbed into the far fetched tale ;)

I finally got around to watching this last night. It was Ok but I felt that someone like Ridley Scott should have made a better movie. All the characters were pretty one dimensional and the film seemed to leave too many questions hanging. It warrants a sequel to make the link from that to Alien.

I finally got to see this mish-mash of gobbly goop that was supposed to be another outstanding film by Riddley Scott.

Instead we got what has to be the worst film Scott has ever made, what a piece of utter crap!!!

Filled with pointless scenes, sketchy narrative and a meandering plot that made little to no sense at all. Not to mention pointless characters that I think even the actors knew how pointless their characters where and it showed in their acting because they just didn't care.

Also, as a Sci-Fi fan for my entire life, I am use to suspending belief to "buy" into whatever it is that I am watching for the sake of the story, however, this film actually has scenes that made me snort with derision as the utter implausibility of the crap going on.

How in the name of all that's good and decent can this be a film from Ridley Scott?????

Seriously, this is some kind of big joke being played on all fans of the Alien Franchise, this cant be the real film, this cant be what we have all been waiting for since we heard it was coming....its just cant be!!!

I cant post links yet, so go to youtube and search for "Honest Trailers - Prometheus" and enjoy!

A recent quote from Ridley Scott:

Prometheus was a great experience for me. Chasing number two, we can start evolving the grand idea…”