Prometheus (2012) - your opinions *No spoilers*

JuanDestruct

Science fiction fantasy
I haven't seen the movie yet, but there seems to be mixed opinions about the move.

From the reviews I've seen in youtube, I hear non-sci fi fans generally disliking it while some -- not all -- sci fi fans loving the movie.

I probably want to see it later, but before I do, I wanna hear the opinions of hard core sci fi fans like yourselves. :)

No Spoiler Please. THANK YOU!

I'm not very hardcore, but I wasn't overly impressed. It's ok, but I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to see it.

If you've seen the previous Alien movies, then it won't live up to expectations. If you haven't, it is hardly going to make you want to see the other movies in the series, which is a shame

To add to what James just said, which I agree with entirely, it is a visual feast - great cinematography, shiny space ships, great set design and costumes and CGI worlds and aliens. Like you will, if this is what you crave.

The problem is down to the story which makes little sense unless you read interviews with the director afterwards, and even then not a lot. The characters are not well thought out and their actions are frequently unbelievable.

Having said that, at least one member here thinks it is the most intelligent film made in years, so you really need to make up your own mind.

From what I've heard (from two entirely separate sources) it's a bit pants. The effects look great, but, apparently, the story isn't really believable and it doesn't stand comparison with Alien (or Aliens).

Prometheus is to Alien what The Phantom Menace was to Star Wars, or The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was to Raiders of the Lost Ark, or the second and third Matrix films compared to the first.

I enjoyed this film, not exactly a return to the original format but never the less very enjoyable.

I didn't watch a single preview. I didn't listen to any of the critics. All I knew was that Ridley Scott directed it.

And I wasn't disappointed, I loved it.

Looked good. Watched it twice, can't quite remember what it was about.

This about sums it up. The special effects are great, but the story will leave you wondering just what exactly happened. Nobody really knows. I'm not sure even the directors really knew what the point was to anything that happened in the movie - Don't expect to find answers to any questions you may have while watching it.

It's a broken movie and the writers should really start considering alternative employment - they aren't getting any better with each release in the aliens/predator universe.

Very shiny garbage. A polished turd as it were. Anti-science creationism. It may be horror like Alien but it isn't science fiction like Alien was. Also heart wrenching disappointment because all they needed was better writing. Get one of those guys from the 70s who actually know a little microbiology. I found it a bigger disappointment than Star Wars prequels. In fact it may have been the biggest disappointment in all of my movie watching history. To put it lightly.

I don't ever want to hear about a science fiction movie written by one of the guys who wrote for Lost. Such a waste of Ridley Scott's talent.

An unmitigated disaster on so many levels. I am going to pretend this movie was never made.

Unfortunately, some people did like it, and so pretending it was never made is not an option - there will be sequels.

While it takes all sorts, and I'm glad some people enjoyed it (even though I am stumped at how) it is annoying that we will get money spent on the production of more films like this rather than something more worthwhile.

Oh and after Prometheus, my excitement for the next Blade Runner has now turned to dread....

The change to the space jockeys' design sure was nice and compelling... :rolleyes:

The opening sequence was striking, and there were some interesting ideas and images in the first hour, but I thought the film fell apart in the final act. I think there was a good film hidden somewhere, but spoilt by confusing plotting and undeveloped characters. Decent special effects though!

I hated this film, un forgivingly awful, lazy Characterisations, good effects which told a story that made no sense. Major problems, ulitmatley lovley eye candy but a dreadful film. There were points I nearly walked out. If you like your sci-fi films to make no sense and play out like an episode of lost in Space, albeit with good effects.

If one watches Prometheus as a standalone film I think it has some merits. Even when comparing it to the franchise it has some merits. Not the best, but not the worst of the series.