Ray Bradbury

JimBraiden

Science fiction fantasy
Just learned via Brad Torgeson that Ray Bradbury died today aged 91.
A good innings but still very sad.

I began reading his stuff in in high school(many years ago) and still see the importance of his work today. Such a great loss for the Sci-Fi community.

Very sad news. Like others, I grew up reading his work. He contributed to my great love of Science Fiction which has lasted all my life.

Out of all the books I have ever read, I rate Dandelion Wine as second only to Moby Dick as my all time favourite.

Ray Bradbury has given me great pleasure, fuelled my imagination and left the world a great legacy of wonder in his works. I shall miss the fact that nothing more will come from this fine writer.

Ray Bradbury passes

Sad news, all, we've lost another of the great ones. According to Yahoo! Mr. Bradbury died yesterday at age 91. I really thought he'd make 100.

Sad news but a fine legacy of hundreds of hours of thoughtful entertainment for millions of readers.

Randy M.

Sad to hear. However, 91 is real old age. Consider the young ages of Shakespeare, Dick, Pushkin, Lermontov, Poe, Walter Scott, etc. Even Asimov wasnt that old.
Ifcourse, artists do mostly die young: Mozart, Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, James Dean, Steve McQueen, Monroe, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Marley, Peter Sellers, Michael Jackson, Jim Croce, etc.

Old age doesnt matter its always awful news when you lose a legend like this.

Im glad i read him last two years for the time and saw his importance.

Can anyone definitely confirm that Ray died during the transit of Venus? Of course it doesn't really matter, but if that is correct, somehow it would be nice to know for sure.

Can anyone definitely confirm that Ray died during the transit of Venus? Of course it doesn't really matter, but if that is correct, somehow it would be nice to know for sure.

I'm not sure if he did but it would be kind of fitting if he did.

I hope he did. Also, I think we should spare a thought for Ray Bradbury's great friend - Ray Harryhausen. I'm sure he misses his old pal.

Dandelion Wine remains my favourite- interesting that Foxbat should mention it as being second only to Moby Dick since Bradbury did the script for John Huston's film version- and Huston would go on to feature in a couple of Bradbury's short stories.

Dandelion Wine remains my favourite- interesting that Foxbat should mention it as being second only to Moby Dick since Bradbury did the script for John Huston's film version- and Huston would go on to feature in a couple of Bradbury's short stories.

never read dandelion wine...

...and there it goes on to my ever-expanding list of summer reading!

Just heard today about the sad loss - I remember reading and re-reading Fahrenheit 451 quite a few times. A great writer and a good age. Pity we wont see any more new stories from him

As others have noted above, I too must download some of his other books - only for me, it will be for my Kindle.

Like so many others I read my fair share of Bradbury over the years.

If you are a SF fan it is almost inevitable that you are going to read some of his works, I did and my personal favourite, the Martian Chronicles is something that I read again and again, but the Illustrated Man was not far behind it... and after that Fahrenheit 451.

I don't know about his dying during the transit of Venus but, if he did, it would be poetic enough... and, given that he was always one of the great poets of sff, that would make it very fitting indeed.

But dammit, I'll miss him. I discovered Poe shortly after I turned six; Asimov at the same time, and Bradbury only a couple of months later (R is for Rocket)... so his work has meant a great deal to me through nearly my entire life.

I also wonder not only about Harryhausen, but Ellison, who was a friend and admirer... and who has lost an awful lot of dear friends to death since the mid-80s.... (see his "The Wind Took Your Answer Away", the introduction to Angry Candy, for an expression of his grief, anger, and feeling of loss even then).

Sad news. The Martian Chronicles gave me one of my first real road trips into the Sense of Wonderland and I still have my original copy 40+ years later. I have been thinking today that I should introduce my kids to his works.

RIP, Mr. Bradbury, and thank you.