Discussion -- 75 Word Challenge -- June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very sorry I've been flat out this week and actually thought I'd be able to vote today, since the month hadn't ended and since we're in front in Aus.

Anyhoo my vote would have gone to Alchemist. Really well done.

Okay. Simply put, I'd rewrite the entire Christian bible if I could, New Testament, but that wouldn't be very practical for a couple reasons...:eek:

Not the least of which that Czastaria, taking place as it does, is only a few thousand years old...

I'm not sure Parson would be a good person to ask about that. :)

I'm not sure Parson would be a good person to ask about that. :)

?????? I'm lost at this comment. Unless you are implying that because I'm a Parson I believe that the world began some 6000 odd years ago. This is not true. I believe in a deistic evolution. This means in other words that God made sure that human intelligence would develop in the fullness of time so that God's self revelation could be seen to be glorious and that we could bring honor to God's name.

(Karn and I have had brief discussion about his religion in his book.)

I think the ultra-conservative ones who think it was 6000 years are the ones who make the news. Those who can reconcile science and religion, as you do, are just not sensational enough.

TDZ, the ultra-conservative types do not, I think, read science fiction or fantasy -- both of which they regard with horror -- and are therefore not likely to be found on a site like this one.

I think that when Karn said he wanted to rewrite the Bible he was exaggerating -- that is, exaggerating the role that Christianity or the Bible would actually play in what he is going to do.

Congratulations TJ, a well deserved win.

Now here is mine.

The Forest

“One comes, he’ll fail they all do, he’ll belong to us”

The boy entered the trees he knew it was forbidden but he’d could hear whimpering. There it was a white cub, caught in the brambles. Ignoring the sharp thorns tearing at his flesh, he fought through the bush.Gently scooping up the cub,he carried it out.
The look it gave him was worth the pain.

“ He passed the test, we can’t have him.”

I'm very sorry I've been flat out this week and actually thought I'd be able to vote today, since the month hadn't ended and since we're in front in Aus.

Anyhoo my vote would have gone to Alchemist. Really well done.

Thanks HJ. I'll categorise that as a +1 on my spreadsheet ;)

Nixie, nice story. It would have been a strong contender for me.

Thanks for the kind words Teresa. I often feel a little bit like a round peg in a square hole. I'm too moderate for most of my evangelical friends and too evangelical for most of my mainline friends. I suppose the fact that I have friends in both camps makes me a dying breed in our age of polarization.

Nixie's story really was enjoyable. Always a shame when a good one like that is removed.

As we slip into the new month here is my alternate, it's in it's earliest form so not polished at all.

“There is no remorse, no guilt in his mind for what he has done,” the first Temporal Enforcer sighed, “He may well have shot the Hitler kid through the head, but in his own head he is innocent of any wrongdoing.”

His partner nodded, “Yeah, but when it comes to the Causal Paradox that is ripping time apart, he’s as guilty as sin.”

I did have a thought of doing something REALLY different with it, but I was pretty certain it would be outside the rules, but will think about it some more and if I get the same urge again will contact a mod and see what they think!

There was a post on the now-defunct Asimov's forum proposing a storyline where the Time Patrol would take any Hitler-killing time traveller, and turn that traveller into Hitler's replacement. A true sci-fi horror story.

Although it's now no longer in sequence, here is phileomiomai's earlier post, the one that was removed until the voting was completed:

I personally don't see an issue with using the subject in the story. If the story doesn't call for it and the subject can be implied then all the best to you but in my story in particular, I needed to have that as the last word. (because if I used, Not Guilty, my word count would have been over!!!)

Good story though phileomiomai, seems to be inspired by Legend with Tom Cruise?

I agree with your point on using the word, yours and...the other guys. I went a re-read some of the stories using innocence in the story. My problem I think is I was looking at it as the point of the story was to describe or evoke innocence, but you are right, it can be spun many ways.

As for my story I actually forgot about Legend, LOL! I was inspired by a writing of Leonardo Da Vinci in relation to unicorns.

"The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it"

Funny story how I even came across this. I am playing an online game called "The Secret World" and it has these investigation missions. One of them was about unicorns and it lead me to Davinci's door.

In the world of fae creatures the unicorn and the white stag myths are the ones that speak to me the most about innocence, so I went with it.

Congratulations TJ! And thanks to James and Tom for the votes. Thank you for the noted mentions I got, I did appreciate it.

It was a nice surprise especially bearing in mind my genre-doubts and shilly-shallying about what/when to post! I was worried that an allegory to the horror of paedophilia would put people off. To my mind, though, that is the ultimate sin against innocence. These days, we are saturated with its reportage in the media whether that be scare-mongering, true reports, or speculation, so I figured it was a viable monster (if that is the right word!).

My other entry was a bit more sweet, but it just did not hit 'innocence' enough for me to end up posting it:-

Missy’s Window

Kneeling in bed, elbows propped on the windowsill, Missy waited. Outside the cabinet of the cosmos sparkled like a gem cave, but she looked outwards, not up.

Head snapping; fighting sleep, she waited.

And waited.

Sometimes, after three they came - sometimes after four - but always before dawn; her
rainbow wheels would dash and swoop across daddy’s fields.

And when she woke, there in the early summer barley would be the most extraordinary pattern.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Your Honour.

I had promised to post more on my story. Can't seem to find the bits I had to cut out to make it fit into the 75-word limit. But I do remember one bit I had to cut was that the alien race worshipped light as a life-giver. So when the human race sent an interstellar message by laser (a SETI proposal I read about not so long ago), how could they not respond?

Status
Not open for further replies.