The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara

Christopher Lee

Formerly BluePhoenix711
I'm looking for opinions on this series. I'm about to finish A Dance with Dragons, and would like some insight on these. I read a lot of Terry Brooks when i was younger (in middle school) and I remember enjoying it. I read the Sword of Shannara series. I've also read Angel Fire east and A Knight of the Word.

I have all the books, and I enjoyed them.

Chronologically, this takes place a long time AFTER the Sword of Shannara series, so you'll be in for a long trip trying to figure out who's who. Don't worry, there's still Ohmsfords ;)

It's a bit more modern than you're used to, since the world has become more technologically advanced since you last visited it, but it still retains its typical Brooks fantasy aura. Get it, really.

I have all the books, and I enjoyed them.

Chronologically, this takes place a long time AFTER the Sword of Shannara series, so you'll be in for a long trip trying to figure out who's who. Don't worry, there's still Ohmsfords ;)

It's a bit more modern than you're used to, since the world has become more technologically advanced since you last visited it, but it still retains its typical Brooks fantasy aura. Get it, really.

I agree about the modernization of some of the elements of the world of Shannara in this series. It's not technological, though. It's a fine example of using magic (diapson crystals....or however you spell it) to create the same effect.

Warning: Extremely minor spoiler here.

Depending on how far you've already read into the series, you might have already picked up on some of the themes that receive twists in Voyage. I won't say any more to keep from spoiling it for you, but with allowances for the historical references Brooks always includes to tie his stories together, I found it to be a relatively fresh start. If you liked Sword and the way Brooks develops his characters (not just in Shannara but also in Angel Fire East, etc.), I think you will probably like this story, too.

I enjoyed the stories well enough when I hadn't been exposed to much fantasy (or books in general), but for me his whole series is a good (albeit cookie-cutter) story with not-so-great writing.

I wish I had some recommendations, but ASOIAF is a tough act to follow.

Voyage is the best Shannara trilogy IMO. It managed to keep my interest in Shannara because it went to new places outside the Four Lands.