Authonomy/ online communities

Jake Reynolds

Wordslinger
Hi folks,

Just wanted to check with everyone if there are any online writing communities they use that are worthwhile. I have been on Harper Collins' authonomy.com for a while now, but it seems that people can only really do well there if they put a lot of time into the community, time that I would rather spend writing.

Also, with so many users, and questions/ comments/ quemments you might have get swallowed by the thousand other posts that follow in the next 5 minutes.

Ranking seems to be based entirely on contribution to the site rather than the writing (some low ranked gems are great reads, while some of the higher ones are frankly awful).

Does anyone have sites or communities (other than the awesome chrons!) that are a bit more about the writing rather than how many posts one has?

The only other one worth checking out that comes to mind is Absolutewrite.com. It's another forum like SFF Chrons, but I believe it's US based rather than UK. A bunch of experienced and aspiring writers over there.

I looked into Authonomy awhile back and decided it wasn't worth it. The community and ranking system appeared to be quite flawed and based more on who you know rather than your ability to write well.

EDIT:

There is also AQ Connect but so far my experience with that community has been quite amateur and biased. They are nowhere near as helpful as the people here.

Cool, thanks guys- have checked out Critters already, but might have a look at absolutewrite.