the aliens are coming!

torontones

Seems to be the big theme now. What's your favorite aliens invading earth movie?

This year I enjoyed Battle Ship and the avengers. Both had fantastic special effects, a decent storyline and good humor.

Nice to meet you Torontones.

"Alien" movies are always welcomed by me, until I see and throw out the really really bad ones. I have no problem watching a B-movie where you can see rubber masks and cardboard sets, but, a rotton story and can ruin even the biggest blockbuster film.

I can't pin down just one "invasion by unearthly beings" movie, so I'll mention a few of my favorites.

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) Lot's of giant creatures fighting with the King of the Monsters.

Zontar: The Thing From Venus (1968) Great remake of It Conquered the World (1956). I love these movies where ONE alien takes on our planet.

They Live (1988) A John Carpenter masterpiece!

Daleks-Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966) Peter Cushing made a great Dr Who. Sequel to Dr Who and the Daleks (1965).

I don't much like aliens invading Earth films. They all have the same story, after unproductively attacking them with nukes, a convenient way is found to defeat them close to the end - "the common cold virus" - War of the Worlds (1953 film) or "the windows computer virus" - Independence Day (1996 film).

Not sure I have a favourite but Invaders from Mars (1953 film) gave me nightmares as a child.

I think I prefer the invasion not to be a full-on military attack. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 film) is much more of a psychological thriller than a war movie.

Star Trek: First Contact (1996 film) was a bit of a let down as regards the invincible Borg. They had held so much promise in the TV series Star Trek TNG. After that they just got watered down more and more during subsequent series.

I did like Cloverfield (2008 film) and it was different though I couldn't take the shaky camera.

I did like Cloverfield (2008 film) and it was different though I couldn't take the shaky camera.

That was a pretty good one. I heard that they were looking into making another one that was going to be the story of the other guy that you see with the camera when everyone's out on the bridge (don't know if that's still a possibility but that's what I heard...)

I had problems with the camera too...of course I suffer from motion sickness although that didn't stop my brother from making me watch!

I thought Avengers and Cloverfield were both quite good. Dr. Who is usually one long series of invasions both of Earth and elsewhere, though it always seems to be large groups of aliens...

War of the Worlds (Cruise edition), Independence Day and The Avengers. Transformers 3 also qualifies as an alien invasion movie i think.

Battleship had a decent story?
Decent as in good enough to swallow for a blockbuster. I thought the special effects were awesome and there was a bit of comical twist to the film witch kinda made it fun to watch. Sometimes I like a little cheese with good effects :)

Nice to meet you Torontones.

"Alien" movies are always welcomed by me, until I see and throw out the really really bad ones. I have no problem watching a B-movie where you can see rubber masks and cardboard sets, but, a rotton story and can ruin even the biggest blockbuster film.

I can't pin down just one "invasion by unearthly beings" movie, so I'll mention a few of my favorites.

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) Lot's of giant creatures fighting with the King of the Monsters.

Zontar: The Thing From Venus (1968) Great remake of It Conquered the World (1956). I love these movies where ONE alien takes on our planet.

They Live (1988) A John Carpenter masterpiece!

Daleks-Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966) Peter Cushing made a great Dr Who. Sequel to Dr Who and the Daleks (1965).

Nice! gonna look for those titles you mentioned :)

Sometimes I like a little cheese with good effects :)
My son did work experience at an advertising agency last year. After signing a waiver he saw this film without the special effects added, a year before its cinematic release. Everything was still green screened. That about sums up what he thought of it - cheese. And who ever thought Rhianna could act!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Sutherland & Goldblum version), Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Abyss... I know there's so much more, but these are my notable faves. :)