Discovered Authors 2012

Madison Jones, author of A Cry of Absence, An Exile, Herod's Wife, and Passage Through Gehenna, as well as novels I haven't read yet.

mjwet.jpg
415lPX%2BgG3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
1901.jpg

Not much point in adding this but, for completeness' sake, I read my first John Barnes novel (Orbital Resonance) in August. I'd read a story here and there and the latest in Dozois' annual being one of the very few that stuck out finally made me go pick up a couple of used paperbacks. Still not sure what I think of it, but it was at least interesting. "Heinleinian" is overused but, in being a fairly hard-edged near-future space-centered but not overly tech-wonky book with a young capable female protagonist, it would sort of fit. I'll read the other one (A Million Open Doors) this year, probably.

R.F. Starzl. I know the name, must've seen it a hundred times drooling over old Frank R. Paul covers, but don't recall ever reading anything by him. Just finished "Hornets Of Space" from FROM OFF THIS WORLD. Intelligent, exciting, violent, well presented 1920s hard core space opera and proud of it! Was so impressed I did some snooping on the internet and found this:
9781483702476_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Don't know who Paul Ernst is but if he's anywhere as good as Starzl this book will be a bargain. Will order it as soon as I can get to the book store. Actually I should have created a new thread for 2013 but didn't think of it in time and don't feel like rewriting this to correct the oversight. Be kind and forgive.:)