DESTINY'S CONFLICT: Progress Update

First draft minus the glossary is finished. Now Janny can go through and polish it like a little gem till is sparkles with inventiveness.

Oh, yesssss! Just starting a re-read of Stormed Fortress now, having mined Traitor's Knot for a number of gems missed the first two times. So, some time in 2016, then.

Probably late next year, Janny has to go through it all and polish it up, and it seems to take at least 8 months to get the book published after the manuscript is handed in. I will wait till August to do my re-read from the start.

I will probably be getting my hardback version from the Book Depository, if the US/Can distribution is as delayed and confused as it was for the last book, they deliver to the USA if you want to try them. Although they are not overly optimistic on the publication date, you can already pre-order, but only the paperback version, no sign of the hardback version. I will be annoyed if they do not do one.

I will wait till they have the official publication date before pre-ordering.

Last edited:
What do we think the sideline surprises will be?
Janny Wurts - Timeline Photos | Facebook
I am hoping they are WoLaS related, but they might not be.
Sneak peak
Cover art in progress?
New sketches on the Paravia site?
A new print of Arithon on the webstore?
New collectibles?
Some new custom hard back covers, character themed for Stormed Fortress and Initiate's Trial?
Something else?

Why I was speculating on short stories as a possibility, and short stories being sort of a side line.

From the group AMA in support of world builders
We had this tantalizing bit of news from Janny.
"published 29 short stories with a thirtieth in the making"

And earlier news of a short story in the works
"Verrain's early history is another..." (from 2005)

"Other ideas on the Mull - Verrain's story is pretty cool" (from 2007)
"Verrain's always kicking to get on stage - one of these days I'll succumb"

"Well there is a story about Verrain, novella, really, quite well along, but I have to finish it..." from 2011

And mentioned somewhere more recently was a bit about Janny doing some cover art for something she wanted , but that could have been for something being re-released, or Destiny's Conflict, I think it was after the 3 existing short stories were released as ebooks, so not one of them. That is why I mentioned short stories, but I would expect Verrain's after we find out what happens to him and Meth Isle in the next book. But Janny could always have a different one done that we could read earlier.Janny has done a sketch of Havish's Telmandir, either after it was rebuilt or before it was destroyed, it is not a ruin. I am still wondering if that was one of the sketches she was considering for Destiny's Conflict, Havish would be important to the story, but Janny said it would not be appearing on the next book. Or was she picturing a painting of Telmandir on something else? Maybe Telmandir gets rebuilt yet again all shiny and new, after all the conflicts are settled? Or Havish gets another short story?

I am hoping Arithon's latest portrait gets the center of the new composite cover for Destiny's Conflict, and Elaira gets prime position on Song of the Mysteries.

Speaking of Janny's short stories, if you haven't read Blood, Oak and Iron, I highly recommend it. Watchfire, with Feist, is good too. Then again, this is your Wurts catalog that we're talking about; *grins* you probably made suggestions to Janny for each of those before they were published.

But I digress from the topic at hand. I will admit to having a weakness for cover art, and so any opportunity for a peak at Destiny's Conflict (even a piece of it!) in advance would snare me *he says as he stares, glaze-eyed, at the Telmandir sketch*

You saw the newest painting of Arithon? That would be a scene after most of the conflict ends, and would have probably been the character themed cover if they were still being done. Might still get on the cover.

Now that one is worth drooling over, and speculating on.

Janny has said she would do us those missing covers, for us to buy and have the full set of character covers on our hardbacks if we want them all to match. Janny has also finished the painting she would have done for Stormed Fortress, of Arithon on top of Watch Keep, with Alithiel blazing away, it has been hanging up in the studio. But I have not seen the one for Initiate's Trial yet. And then there will be the last book. So four book covers to do when she has time, Janny might wait till the series ends to do them for us. But that is another sideline possibility. Could also do some new bookmarks, or a calendar(probably not but still hoping) and chap books.
Janny Wurts Chat Area: Calendar

Last edited:
If you want a glimpse of the painting of Arithon that would have been the cover for Stormed Fortress, I mentioned it in an old thread on the Paravia site.
Janny Wurts Chat Area

Janny is well into polishing chapter 7 now.

Janny is Artist GOH at Norwescon this year, be nice if she had Destiny's Conflict finished and handed in before that and the Easter festivities. Then after the break she could move on to other things. Have to wait and see how she goes, end of March we would still get it this year I think.

Depends on how fast you can read through them, too soon for me to re-read, I whiz through them, although I want to take some more notes this time, on some of Athera's more Legendary names and how they are used. Tally up what we know about Ath, Daelion and Dharkaron, and what we might infer from all those curses and how they were used. I wonder if Goodreads is going to do a re-read? I would really like to be able to discuss all the books, knowing what is to come and discussing how it all ties in as we re-read, rather than not being able to have spoilers for the later books. Some of the things done in the early books, were relevant later on, or will be in Destiny's Conflict.

Don't get as much time to read as I used to, so starting now is probably a good idea. Me, I'm looking at Fellowship references to Elaira and general references to the Ilitharis Paravians. Why? Not sure...;)

You should include Biedar references to Elaira as well, they seem to know more about Elaira's destiny, although there was a very important comment made by Luhaine, which got this response from Sethvir.
"The current Prime Matriarch is headache enough, with her penchant to ally herself with Lysaer. A successor tied by love to Arithon s'Ffalenn would yield up a frightening collusion."

Have you thought of why exactly that personal crystal of Elaira's might want her to remain Koriani?