Last Light of the Sun

Grunkins

Couch Commander
I'm reading Kay's The Last Light of the Sun and it's as amazing as a Kay book ought to be. I'm in part 3 right now and was wondering if anyone knows what the monster in the woods might have been. The only descriptions of it were: it smelled of rotting flesh, was big enough to knock over trees, it gave a loud howl, it was older than than the faeries, and even the faeries feared it.

I was thinking some sort of yeti at first, but I wouldn't think that's older than the faeries, and it wouldn't be feared by them. I was also thinking a troll or something like that, but that probably also wouldn't be older than the faeries. Then I thought of a forest elemental of some sort, and that might fit the bill, except the smelling of rotting flesh part might not work for them.

Any thoughts?

To be honest, I'm quite happy not knowing. One thing I've noticed about GGK's work is that there are always mysterious scary things lurking in the places in between civilisation. He never gives in to the temptation to explain them, and I think that adds to the sense of just how little control and understanding his characters have of their world.

I personally pictured something along the lines of an uber version of a Draugr from Norse mythology - undead, can grow to giant proportions, have superhuman strength, sometimes use magic.

I actually just lent that book to a friend, who pronounced it a fantastic read. I may have to reread it myself.

I've kind of been holding off this one, cos I've only got it and Under Heaven left to read of his books to date, but it's fast approaching the top of my TBR pile :)

Finished the novel last night. Wow. Kay is beautiful. He's pretty well cemented himself as my favorite author.

Like Bugg, I pace myself with Kay. Next will be Sailing to Sarantium, but I won't read it for at least a month, hopefully a couple months. I have a few more in my TBR stacks, but not as many as I'd like. When I finish them, though, I get the pleasure of rereading them all.

I loved the Sarantine Mosaic books - hope you enjoy them! :)