The Avengers aka Avengers Assemble [WARNING: SPOILERS]

No One

Orange Aide ;)
Still no Avengers thread? Righto, let's have one then.

A few points for discussion perhaps, other than the film itself:

Joss Whedon. Has to be kept on for a sequel. He seems to have spoken highly of Marvel and the license they gave him to do what he wanted, which is rare and always a good sign. No doubt Marvel will be pleased with the results and box office returns, which are looking quite staggering so far, so fingers crossed.

Additional Avengers? Are we likely to see Ant-man and Wasp introduced? There's been talk of Edgar Wright and an Ant-man flick, so maybe there's a good chance of seeing one of its founding members being brought in. Personally I'm not sure if I want to see those particular two in there, as I'm not sure what they'd really add to proceedings (although if they go the Goliath route for Ant-man, he could be pretty darn spectacular). The Vision and Scarlet Witch would be more interesting though, bringing something more varied in terms of personalities and powers.

And then, of course, there's the inevitable sequel. Are we going to see the Mad Titan (aka Thanos) united with his beloved Infinity Gauntlet? I was agape to find out that the Infinity Gauntlet can be spotted in the background (for a fraction of a second) in Thor, though whether it was included as a hint is anyone's guess.

I was a HUGE fan of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline (seeing as it all started in Silver Surfer, which I was collecting at the time), but let's face it, it ended pretty weakly and when you're dealing with an omnipotent enemy there'll always be major plotholes. I wouldn't expect that storyline to be true to the comics and at the same time feasible, given the cosmic scale of things, which would surely be pushing the boat out too far (I'd also hope we wouldn't have to put up with Jim Starlin's favourite son, Adam Warlock, who really irked me as a character and was always going to be the hero of the day).

Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked. Terrific film :)

This whole Marvel Avengers series has been great, Joss Whedon is fantastic. It's all awesome.

Thanos is a great villain, the next Avengers has the potential to be even better than this one I think. As for additional Avengers, I'd rather see Black Panther and Spider-Man. Possibly also Starfox, to tie-in to Thanos(I don't think that's necessary though). I think that they should make a Black Widow/Hawkeye spy movie detailing their origins, in which the main good guy is Hawkeye and Black Widow is the antihero who is initially working for the villain but is redeemed by Hawkeye as described in The Avengers. Also I think Thor 2 should take place in between Thor and The Avengers, with Loki again as the villain(I believe that at the end of Thor, he was trapped in Asgard and could not get back to Natalie Portman on Earth, and Loki was falling to Earth I presume. Thor 2 would explain how he made it to Earth to fight Loki in The Avengers). Black Panther should take place between Avengers 1 and 2, and he'd join the team in 2. I'd love for The Amazing Spider-Man to tie-in as well, but I highly doubt it will.

Y'know what else would be cool? If they expanded beyond Avengers, and established like a dozen other Marvel films as within the same Universe through cameos and Easter Eggs. This would only be cool if the movies were cool and in the same tone as the Avengers movies. For example Ghost Rider needs a reboot, and wouldn't it be awesome if it featured The Avengers on a news station on some TV or something? That would be epic.

I'm not sure if they can get Spiderman, because I think someone else might have the rights to it. And I did read somewhere (maybe in a Scarlett Johansson interview) that there was a possibility of a Black Widow origins movie. If that happens, I'd love for Joss to direct that too - is there anyone more qualified to handle a film about hot women with superpowers?

Absolutely loved The Avengers. I know it was long, but I was disappointed when it ended. Awesome action, awesome characters (except for maybe Thor, but I feel like he's just a boring character anyway - though I did like his individual movie) and awesome Whedonesque dialogue and humour. I think they'd be mad not to get him on for the sequel. I remember him mentioning that if he got a chance to do Avengers #2 the stage was set for a much darker movie where he was planning to pretty much tear the characters apart, which would rock. I've never read the comics or anything, but I hope, if they do bring in more Avengers, they don't go nuts and chuck 14 more people into the team. I'd actually be happy if it stayed as is, with a few new side characters.

Spiderman belongs to Fox in movie rights.

Spiderman has never been core Avengers like Cap,Thor,Iron Man,BW,Hulk etc. He isnt needed to sell the film since it has broken BO records without him.

I want to see less big name heroes that belong in the Avengers like Black Panther, Wasp,Antman etc

Without a doubt, there has to be a sequel...they really can't do anything but.

They kind of leave it open with Fury/Hill's conversation at the end, when she's asking about what they're going to do since the avengers had all scattered if there was ever a problem and Fury says that they'll assemble.

And there's also the little video after the credits...we were wondering who that could be...

Digs and Conn have got it right I believe. We won't be seeing Spidey as an avenger anytime soon.

I'm not 100%, but I think it's Sony who own the rights to the character at the moment, not Fox (apparently they have X-Men, so no mutants as avengers either with a possible exception of Scarlet Witch, who I read somewhere can be used as long there's no mention of her being a mutant). Marvel must be sorely regretting those decisions.

Also agree with Digs with not adding more characters. I'd be happy to go into further depth with the existing cast, instead of going the tired old route of throwing ever more people into the picture.

As far as who can and can't be in an Avenger's sequel, wait until Spiderman and First Class 2 are done and out there...

As far as I know, Marvel changed the way they do business in relation to film licenses a while back, and all the ones that are not straight up MARVEL PRODUCTIONS (Avengers, and all the stand-alone films that lead into it) are now co-productions with SONY (Spiderman, and I think Daredevil and Ghost Rider too) or Fox (X-Men and I think Fantastic 4.)

The new, co-produced Spiderman film is a year zero (like the Norton Hulk film as opposed to the Ang Lee Hulk film) which may or may not be part of the Marvel expanded universe that they use for their own films, and seeing how it doesn't relate well to X3 and Wolverine, First Class may be a year zero as well.

Fitting Spiderman and the X-Men into the same universe would be pretty cool, but in an Avengers sense they only really feature in the comics when there are multiple sets of Avengers (Spiderman, X-Men, Daredevil, Magneto and the Fantastic 4 were the EAST COAST AVENGERS when they were needed, the cast of Avengers Assemble were the WEST COAST AVENGERS, so it's not like they worked directly with one another on a regular basis.)

i.e. An Avengers with Spiderman and the X-Men in would be a different film to one with Iron Man etc... in. For example, while Iron man et al are off fighting Thanos and something attacks Earth Spiderman and the X-Men might get called together to fight it off. Of course, they'd need their own origin story and assembly bit before that happened though...

Doubt it will happen in all honesty (but setting them in the same film world, the way all the comics are set in 616, would be enough for me), but having Black Panther, War Machine (it's why they re-cast him as a 'name' actor for Iron Man 2, god only knows why he wasn't in the first one) and maybe Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would be about as 'mainstream' Avengers as it can get (Vision and Ant Man would be cool, but not all that marketable) and they are making a Dr Strange film to introduce him before Avengers 2 hits...

Jammill

Yeah I was well aware of Spider-Man being owned by Sony. I never said it was probable. And I knew he "was never a core Avenger" but I could see him fitting and he's one of my favorites.

I do dare to hope for a Black Panther movie, though.

Spiderman isn't owned by Sony (clearly owned by Marvel), they just have the rights to it and had to make a movie or the rights would have lapsed.

I watched this last Thursday and really thought that it was a great movie. Nice to see some good, old fashioned story telling rather than set piece after set piece. Bravo Joss Whedon.

What amazed me most is the collaboration between the other movies, such as Thor and Capt America and having it relate into the Avengers (namely Loki and the Tessaract).

I wonder when/how they decided on the story and how they decided that the Capt America story would include the Tessaract, and how Thor would say Loki survives and goes missing, so they could both be the main focus of The Avengers.

Really enjoyed this movie, it was really well put together, and it had some real funny moments which made me laugh out loud (surprised me!). Hulk is just perfect.

Additional Avengers? Are we likely to see Ant-man and Wasp introduced? There's been talk of Edgar Wright and an Ant-man flick, so maybe there's a good chance of seeing one of its founding members being brought in. Personally I'm not sure if I want to see those particular two in there, as I'm not sure what they'd really add to proceedings (although if they go the Goliath route for Ant-man, he could be pretty darn spectacular). The Vision and Scarlet Witch would be more interesting though, bringing something more varied in terms of personalities and powers.

And then, of course, there's the inevitable sequel. Are we going to see the Mad Titan (aka Thanos) united with his beloved Infinity Gauntlet? I was agape to find out that the Infinity Gauntlet can be spotted in the background (for a fraction of a second) in Thor, though whether it was included as a hint is anyone's guess.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

What a surprise at the end, a grinning THANOS! My jaw dropped as my brain sparked an electrical mind fire.​

And of course after the credits, we see the Avengers relecting on what had happened while they enjoy Arabic schwarma. :p Mmm. I had it Chicago, very tasty. I would chase it down with a cool drink of tamerind.​

Great, now I'm thinking of delicious Arabic food, I'm craving it now.​

Anyway, what great film, I was pleased to see S.H.E.I.L.D.'s flying fortress, which was originally dreamed-up by the legendary artist Jack (The King) Kirby many years ago, and, another old Avenger member Hawkeye.​

I can't wait for a sequel. Sheesh, I feel like a kid again excited over a fantastic comic book tale.​

The original (1960's) first issue of the Avengers comic featured Loki as the villian. I was delighted the film's creators took that simple idea and expanded on it by adding bits and pieces from other awesome tales from Marvel's past.​

I didn't see a any previews for the film, so I was blown away by the Avengers on the big sceen. Man-alive, was I stunned and excited. :D

No One, we may see the Vision, Giant Man, the Wasp or other surprise Marvel characters in the future. Could be any of them, may even Adam Warlock, or my favorite Kree warrior, Captain Marvel. :)

I think the best thing about the movie was Joss Whedon's style. I liked the extent to which the Avengers clashed with each other. I didn't think they overdid it, but it did sort of highlight the differences between the characters.

I think the best thing about the movie was Joss Whedon's style. I liked the extent to which the Avengers clashed with each other. I didn't think they overdid it, but it did sort of highlight the differences between the characters.

I agree. They went well with each other, like Stark and Banner, two peas in a pod (both really smart) but Stark egging him on to turn into the Hulk or Capt America alone, isolated in a new world and mostly by himself.

I might be over-egging how much I enjoyed the film (even though I didn't get to see the 'donner kebab' scene cos they hadn't filmed it yet), but is the Avengers the best comic-book movie ever??

It's not the best comic book FILM, that is still the original X-Men in my books, but as far as MOVIES go it beats the Spiderman films so far hands down...

What does everyone else think?

Jammill