The Hydrogen Sonata

J-WO

Author of 'Pennyblade' and 'Feral Space'
Leicester, The Las Vegas of the Midlands!
Some mention of this elsewhere, but here's the blurb and cover for the new Culture novel coming Octoberish 2012.

Have to say, I'm fascinated. We should learn a heck of a lot more about the Pre-Culture/formative Culture period, not to mention Subliming. It seems with this and Surface Detail, Banks is exploring areas of his universe he's generally skipped over in the past.

Quietus should make a re-apperance too, I shouldn't wonder. I'm kind of hoping an inter-department rivalry might emerge between them and SC.

Fascinating! Again a female protagonist - I like Banks' strong intelligent, unsentimental female characters.

Very promising! Unusual title for a Culture novel - very specific, not just a phrase.

Oh I did'nt know he was going for another one of the culture series. Thoroughly looking forward to it now

I adore the title.
I like science-related things, and I love music. Combining the two instantly puts this release in my good books ;)

Very excited by the prospect of learning more about Subliming. It's the topic I've most wanted to explore since first reading of the concept.

The Google advertisement on the top of this page is still advertising The Hydrogen Sonata for October and asking you to pre-order your copy.

I have had a pre-order at Amazon since May-ish but I have just been sent an email from them saying that they regret to inform me that they have been unable to source the item. Their supplier has informed them that this item is no longer available. What is that all about?

The ISBN of the book may have changed from when the publisher originally announced the title.

Is it possible to read this without reading all the previous Culture books? I had read somewhere that they were stand alone or at least partially so. Otherwise I will just read them in the order of publishing.

I can only answer based on my reading of the previous books, to which I would answer yes. Some of those require no previous knowledge and are totally stand alone, some of them are more interesting if you have read something else first. One recent book does expect you to have read another earlier book first to fully understand the final pages. Sorry if that sounds cryptic but I wouldn't want to spoil anything. I think reading in the order of publishing is probably the best though they are not published in a chronological order. From what I've read, this book is set long after the Culture was first formed so maybe it is not the best one you should read first. On the other hand, it appears to concern the formation of the Culture and have new information on that, so you'll have to make your own decision.

October the 9th. Hoorah!
Now, should I buy it as hardback (to go with the other 4 I have in HB) or just get the kindle copy?
It would look nice on my bookshelf, but I'm such a kindle-a-holic now.
why can't I get a kindle copy when I buy the hardback, that'd be nice. One for show and one to read without all that heft.

Mine arrived in the mail today. I'm about 100 pages in thus far. It has something of an Excession feel to it.
Happy day.

Mine arrived in the mail today. I'm about 100 pages in thus far. It has something of an Excession feel to it.
Happy day.

Sounds good! I love Excession. But I guess I'll wait for the pb, too many unread books.

Mine is due on the 9th, ordered it yesterday HB version (that's hard back not Harebrain!)

It arrived today. I might have to put a feast for crows on hold as it is beginning to bore me and banks its my favourite SF author.

I might pick up a signed copy from Forbidden Planet tomorrow.