Campbell's UNKNOWN -- Your Favorites

Extollager

Some Chronsfolk are pretty widely read in sf and fantasy. I'd be interested in seeing what appeared if interested persons would like to identify favorite stories from Unknown.

This famous magazine ran from 1939-1943.
220px-Magazine_cover_-_Unknown_no._1_%281939-03%29.jpg

There's a Wikipedia write-up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_(magazine)
unknown_193906.jpg
m_10.jpg
m_5.jpg

Are these from your collection? If so, cool! If not, wow!

:) No, I don't own any issues of Unknown and don't even know very much about the magazine; I hope to learn something from people who comment on this thread.

If anyone's interested, here is a column I wrote on the novel that appeared in the first Unknown issue. The column is one in an ongoing series about C. S. Lewis's reading. His friends and his wife called him Jack, hence the title of the series.

Jack and the Bookshelf #2

Eric Frank Russell’s Sinister Barrier
Zero hour had come, the fateful moment had arrived. He swung the great funnel, lined it upon the advancing orbs. . . . He let the power pour through. . . . ‘One for Mayo!’ he hollered, jigging on his seat. ‘One for Webb! One for Beach, you dirty stinking gobs of parasitic lousery!’”

And so humans strike back at the Vitons, who are usually invisible to humans but perceptible to prepared eyes as “ultra-blue vampire” spheres. But now the Vitons have been exposed, these powers who have exploited humans for ages, promoting rumor and hysteria, inflaming race hatred and violence in the name of religion, subtly provoking humans to make war, so that the strong emotions that Vitons feed on will be stimulated. Many odd, unaccountable events, such as mysterious disappearances, sightings of fireballs, etc., turn out to have been due to Viton activity. At last, however, humans can rebel against these hidden masters.

Eric Frank Russell’s Sinister Barrier originally appeared in print in the first issue of the American magazine Unknown, dated March 1939. The author (1905-1978) was British, despite his “Yank” pulpster style.A British book version appeared in 1943 from the very obscure house of World’s Work. The American specialty house Fantasy Press released a version of the story in 1948. Sinister Barrier was issued as a British paperback, undated but probably published around 1952. A list of the books in Lewis’s personal library prepared in 1969 includes Sinister Barrier, but describes it as “n.d.” (no date). It’s possible that whichever edition Lewis owned had belonged to his wife, Joy Davidman Lewis. Lewis’s copy is not owned by Wheaton College. My guess is that the missing book was the British paper edition.

In a letter to I. O. Evans, dated 31 [sic] Sept. 1957, published in the third volume of Lewis’s Collected Letters, CSL says he’s read Sinister Barrier and finds it the “best of its kind.” What kind was that? Presumably, Lewis refers to science fiction stories in which human beings are secretly controlled or influenced by inhuman creatures.

Lewis’s own Screwtape Letters is, of course, something similar. In that book, Lewis writes from the point of view of the devils. They are invisible; they are aware of, and influence, the thoughts of human beings; they have subtly promoted conflict throughout the centuries; it’s generally in their interests to remain undetected - - all of which is true of the Vitons. Screwtape says, “We want cattle who can finally become food” (Letter 8); the Vitons feed on violent human emotion. The devils despise the “hairless bipeds” (Letter 14), while the Vitons are “‘cruel and callous sultans’” and humans their “‘half-witted slaves.’”

Is it possible that Lewis’s Screwtape Letters owes something to Sinister Barrier? Lewis did read American pulp magazines,* and it could be that copies of that issue of Unknown crossed the Atlantic soon after U. S. distribution occurred, and one of these copies came his way in time to suggest the Screwtape idea. In a letter to Warren Lewis that CSL began on 20 July 1940, Lewis describes the origin of what became The Screwtape Letters. He had been sitting in church that morning and his mind wandered. It occurred to him to write a book of supposed letters from a senior devil to a less experienced tempter. (See Lewis’s Collected Letters, Vol. 2.) The possibility of influence isn’t ruled out by this chronology.

Lewis acknowledged the stimulus of other science fiction authors, such as David Lindsay, but doesn’t seem to have admitted to conscious influence from Russell. Probably, then, it would not be true to say, “Screwtape was a Viton!” Perhaps one reason Lewis was impressed by Sinister Barrier whenever he did read it, was its thematic affinity, despite Barrier’s slam-bang pulp-mag style, with his own book, already written.

-- Dale Nelson

*See my article "Is Lewis' Ransom Trilogy Indebted to 'Yank Magazine' Science Fiction?" CSL: The Bulletin of the New York C. S. Lewis Society 37:4 (July-August 2006; Whole Number 414): 18-19.

I saw a book about Tolkien and Lewis by Richard Purtill at Goodwill yesterday. Know anything about it? Is it worth getting?

I saw a book about Tolkien and Lewis by Richard Purtill at Goodwill yesterday. Know anything about it? Is it worth getting?

Purtill's Lord of the Elves and Eldils was an early work on the two authors, but I don't see it cited very often in papers on them and fans don't seem to mention it very often either. It might be better than that sounds.

Some of my favorite authors from the roster are Bester, Brown, de Camp, del Rey, Heinlein, Kuttner, Leiber, Pratt (with de Camp), Schmitz, Sturgeon, van Vogt, and Williamson. Some others that I ought to know better and/or were regular contributors were Bloch, Bond, Jameson, and Wellman. And all this in 39 issues, most of them already having appeared by the first handful.

As far as specific titles, my memory is really fuzzy on a lot of these and I may be wrong but I either specifically recall the story or at least recall the title with positive connotations.

Brown
  • "Armageddon"
  • "Etaoin Shrdlu"
de Camp
  • "Divide and Rule"
  • "The Gnarly Man"
  • "Nothing in the Rules"
  • Lest Darkness Fall
Gold - "Trouble with Water"
Heinlein
  • "The Devil Makes the Law" (usually known as "Magic, Inc.")
  • "They"
  • "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"
Kuttner - "The Misguided Halo"
Leiber
  • F&GM: "Two Sought Adventure", "The Bleak Shore", "The Sunken Land"
  • Conjure Wife
Moore - "Fruit of Knowledge"
Pratt & de Camp - IE: "The Roaring Trumpet", "The Mathematics of Magic", "The Castle of Iron"
Sturgeon
  • "It"
  • "Shottle Bop"
Williamson - Darker Than You Think

An interesting story is The Elder Gods, since it was by "Stuart" (Campbell/Burks) and was, I think, the last official "Stuart" story.

I haven't read much Unknown stuff in a while but I did recently read Russell's Sinister Barrier but I actually kinda hated it.

-- Oh yeah - in addition to the Wikipedia writeup, there's the SFE entry.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite authors from the roster are Bester, Brown, de Camp, del Rey, Heinlein, Kuttner, Leiber, Pratt (with de Camp), Schmitz, Sturgeon, van Vogt, and Williamson. Some others that I ought to know better and/or were regular contributors were Bloch, Bond, Jameson, and Wellman. And all this in 39 issues, most of them already having appeared by the first handful.

As far as specific titles, my memory is really fuzzy on a lot of these and I may be wrong but I either specifically recall the story or at least recall the title with positive connotations.

Brown
  • "Armageddon"
  • "Etaoin Shrdlu"
de Camp
  • "Divide and Rule"
  • "The Gnarly Man"
  • "Nothing in the Rules"
  • Lest Darkness Fall
Gold - "Trouble with Water"
Heinlein
  • "The Devil Makes the Law" (usually known as "Magic, Inc.")
  • "They"
  • "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"
Kuttner - "The Misguided Halo"
Leiber
  • F&GM: "Two Sought Adventure", "The Bleak Shore", "The Sunken Land"
  • Conjure Wife
Moore - "Fruit of Knowledge"
Pratt & de Camp - IE: "The Roaring Trumpet", "The Mathematics of Magic", "The Castle of Iron"
Sturgeon
  • "It"
  • "Shottle Bop"
Williamson - Darker Than You Think

An interesting story is The Elder Gods, since it was by "Stuart" (Campbell/Burks) and was, I think, the last official "Stuart" story.

I haven't read much Unknown stuff in a while but I did recently read Russell's Sinister Barrier but I actually kinda hated it.

-- Oh yeah - in addition to the Wikipedia writeup, there's the SFE entry.

Of what I've read here, that seems like a really good list. I'd add,

Leiber

• Conjure Wife
  • "Smoke Ghost"
Boucher

• "The Compleat Werewolf"
  • "They Bite"

I'm sure I'll think of others right after I submit this.

Randy M.
(Oops. Just realized I missed your inclusion of Conjure Wife)

Of the 39 issues I've got 36, there's just so much good stuff in them.
One of the lesser known stories I like is "The Trouble With Water" by I think H.L.Gold.

It would be nice to have all the stories re printed in a set of omnibus volumes, either as just the stories or as facsimiles of the magazines.
I have a two volume set of all the Sherlock Holmes stories printed as facsimiles of the original Strand Magazine.

...I'd add,

Leiber

• "Smoke Ghost"

Seeing this thread bumped reminds me that, since your post, I've read "Smoke Ghost" and I agree - I'd add it to my list as well. Also del Rey's "The Coppersmith".

It would be nice to have all the stories re printed in a set of omnibus volumes, either as just the stories or as facsimiles of the magazines.
I have a two volume set of all the Sherlock Holmes stories printed as facsimiles of the original Strand Magazine.

Yep, I could get behind that idea myself. I'd love to have a set of books of the magazine versions of all van Vogt's early stuff, too. There was a letter in Brass Tacks in the January/February issue of Analog asking for old issues (and most things that apply to old Analogs would apply to old Unknowns) to be made available in a digital archive but it doesn't look like it'll happen so it's even less likely for print, I guess. But things like it have been done intermittently so who knows?

Ive never understood his disliked for Phillip K. Dick.